So-called "Mini Marathons" (Read 343 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Is this just an Indiana thing? I moved here over the summer and had heard of the famous "Mini" - the half marathon that takes runners onto the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. But today in my email I received notices about four more "mini marathons" - all half marathons in the Indianapolis area.

Is this just an Indiana thing, to call half marathons "mini marathons"? What's next? A 5K that is called a "Mini 10K"? I find this odd ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Maybe it's a midwest thing? There is one in Cincinnati called the Heart Mini.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

an amazing likeness

Yes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

onemile

Maybe it's a midwest thing? There is one in Cincinnati called the Heart Mini.

Yes,  we have them in Wisconsin too.  Madison Mini Marathon,  Brewers Mini....   I refuse to run a mini anything.

Maybe it's a midwest thing? 

Not in Michigan, never seen one here.

Dave

Half Fanatic #846

There's one every year in the tiny south Georgia town of Boston, called the "Boston Mini-Marathon".  It draws about 400 participants.  I've run it twice - mostly flat, out and back from town into the country past the farms and cows. The best part last time was the fried gator tail I bought from a vendor at the local festival afterward. And some antique shops to browse.

http://gulfwinds.org/Fliers/2013%20Flyers/Boston%20Mini%202013.pdf

Now I'm looking for a mini-ultra...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You know you're at the real Boston marathon when you're eating fried gator tail.

They need to put that on a shirt.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

snapa55

The fine folks at Competitor like to call a 5K a "mini marathon".

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/2013/06/virginia-beach/new-virginia-beach-mini-marathon_26723

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not in Michigan, never seen one here.

Ditto.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

Now I'm looking for a mini-ultra...

At the Barkley 100, the 60-mile option (40-hour cutoff, which most runners don't make) is called the "fun run".

muppy

The fine folks at Competitor like to call a 5K a "mini marathon".

A mini marathon 5k for $70.00 if you sign up at expo, what a bargain!  

Mmmmm...beer

A mini marathon 5k for $70.00 if you sign up at expo, what a bargain!  

The best part, it's not even timed!  Ridiculous.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

muppy

The best part, it's not even timed!  Ridiculous.

Takes all the pressure to "jog fast" off!

C-R

Welcome to the neighborhood Duckworth. Run for the Sam Costa "Halt Marathon" in Carmel and then do the free Anti-Mini in Zionsville. That should make you feel better.

Oh and yeah the mini thing is funny. You can call it Al and it's still 13.1.

$70 for a 5k. Is that a runDisney event?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bhearn

I prefer to run ultra-mini-marathons.