Awesome or horrifying? World record shattered for 50 mile treadmill run (Read 197 times)

http://blog.athlinks.com/50-mile-treadmill-record-shattered-running-event/

I wouldn't have guessed a treadmill specific record existed but I guess there is a record for just about anything.  At Chicago Marathon this year, I had to work hard to beat the Joggler who set the world record for fastest marathon while juggling without ever dropping a ball.  So yeah, I guess a 50 mile, 100 mile, and 24 hour treadmill world record makes sense.

I'll give the guy credit- sub 5 hours is absolutely sick.  But man, it sure sounds horrible to me.  I think bhearn could take down the 24 hour record!

There's no option for horrimazing.

That's where my vote would go.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Dreadmills scare me, but I'll go for the awesome vote.

BeeRunB

Once upon a time, I ran 4+ hours on a treadmill staring at a blank wall and without entertainment. Ever since, I've been aware of an underlying unity between all beings, all my dreams are lucid, and I can smell high fructose corn syrup in foods from ten feet away.

Better than any meditation I've ever tried.

DoppleBock

I have run up to 56 miles on the treadmill and 30-50 many times.  (Not any time recently)

I find treadmills interesting ... Even if they are properly calibrated ... some at 0% incline feel like running downhill and some feel like running uphill.  Some are firm, some soft.

In the picture it shows him hanging onto the front of the treadmill ?  I have disqualified his effort for holding on ... carry on

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

mikeymike

I have disqualified his effort for holding on ... carry on

That looks to be the "after" photo.

Runners run

MrH

From the article ... "Puzey performed for an undulating crowd" ... they did a Mexican wave for the whole 5 hours?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.