How best to add hills in training? (Read 251 times)

gdskelly

Late Starter

Hi there... I am pretty new to running. Just started last year with any regularity as part of a "learn to run 10k". I kept with the running through the winter, mostly on trails. Since early July I have been following along a 16 week training program for a half marathon that will be run October 26.

I really enjoy trail running and have decided to try an organized trial run Oct. 4. The run is 14k per lap with about 1000m elevation gain. My goal is to do one lap but I really need to get some hill training in. I am doing okay keeping up with the HM program, however, I am training pretty near my current limit. We don't have a lot of good hills around but there is a bit of single track near that climbs 100m in 400m and a few repeats (3-5) on that is a pretty good workout for me.

My HM training for this week looks like:

Tue : 6 mi easy plus strides at end

Wed : 3 mi easy

Thu: 1mi easy, 4mi fast, 1mi easy

Sat : 6mi easy

Sun : 12 mi long run

The next week is similar with 6x800 Tuesday and a 13 mi long run.

I would really appreciate any advice on which workout I should replace with hill repeats without affecting the training for the half too much? My local trail running master simply says forget about road running! :-)

Thanks!

Greg

DaBurger

Switching in hills for a speed workout won't hurt your half marathon prep at all.  Hills and speedwork work a lot of the same systems anyway, and I like hills because it forces you to use better form, which will only help your half in late October.

You've got plenty of time before that trail run October 4th, if you substitute one of your hard workouts (Thursday this week or Tuesday next week) with hills every other week or try and find some hills on your long run, that should be plenty to get you to where you want to be.

Know thyself.

gdskelly

Late Starter

Ha! That was what I was hoping to hear

Thanks DaBurger.

Agree with DaBurger - replacing the 800 repeats is where you want to insert a hill workout.   Personally, hill repeats are the best form of speedwork for me.   When you do this, make sure  and pick a pace that you can sustain for each repeat.   For example, if you are doing 6 x hill, you want to be able to hold roughly the same pace on the sixth one as you did on the first one.   If you are unable to do this its probably because you are running the first few too fast.  In addition to improving your form, it's also one of the safety forms of speedwork you can do in that it puts the least strain on your legs since your striking the ground with less impact compared to when you run on a flat surface, or worse yet, a downhill grade.

. We don't have a lot of good hills around but there is a bit of single track near that climbs 100m in 400m and a few repeats (3-5) on that is a pretty good workout for me.

If you can "run" a quarter mile up a 25% grade hill at any pace, you are doing alright. Generally, hill work is done on stuff a little less severe so that you can actually run and run a bunch of them, rather than powerwalk up a few. Not that doing what you suggest isn't a good workout, I'm sure it is, it's just not what we typically think of as hill repeats. Probably great training for the trail race you're doing though, so don't mind me.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            npaden

Yeah, I was wondering if you were unintentionally putting a "m" in place of a ' for your elevation numbers.  1,000 meters is some serious climbing over a 7 mile loop.  That would be almost 1,000' per mile up then 1,000' per mile down to complete the loop.  1,000' per mile is steep and 99% of the people would be walking that, even in a race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

gdskelly

Late Starter

Kevin, you are right. It is more a powerwalk up the hill and a rather thrilling run down. I think I really need to improve my ability on these...

Over the weekend I thought I would replace the easy Saturday with the hills since the distance would be less. I had my dog with me and she was quite reluctant to start the second one so I chose a different course with less grade.

When I was doing the long run Sunday I thought it was good the dog stopped the repeats! Replacing the Tuesday or Thursday feels like it will work better for me. Still, I would like to come pretty close to 2 hours for my first half... Not sure if I am being realistic

Thanks for the input.

If you can "run" a quarter mile up a 25% grade hill at any pace, you are doing alright. Generally, hill work is done on stuff a little less severe so that you can actually run and run a bunch of them, rather than powerwalk up a few. Not that doing what you suggest isn't a good workout, I'm sure it is, it's just not what we typically think of as hill repeats. Probably great training for the trail race you're doing though, so don't mind me.

Hill repeats (3-5min) on 25% slopes are great icing on the cake if you have a good solid hill base. Yes, they're great training for extended 15-20% climbs as found in trail or mountain races. Wink   I only did a few when I did them and haven't had the hill base I wanted the last couple years to do them. (besides there's a new series of 350 steps on another trail where I don't have to worry about slickness from rain - those are power hiked on ascent, but do 10-30sec running reps on them on return)

Yea, if they're too long so you powerhike them, then I wouldn't consider them repeats, but that's just semantics. A person can feel what benefits they're getting or not.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  gdskelly

Late Starter

Got it! There are certainly a few good hills around where I can do running repeats. I will have a hard time completing one lap of the trail run (with a result I will be happy with) if I don't get stronger on the climb. So for a few times I will see how close I can get to the vertical 1000m in a reasonable time. I think it will be a pretty fun run! Good bunch of people involved but they are all so much stronger than I

I'm pretty keen for the half also... a couple of years ago I never thought I would be able to do either at any more than a walk!!!

Nice group here, great responses.  Thanks.

Besides hill training, if the trail you are racing is technical, I would recommend running some fast workouts on technical trails.   It takes a lot of coordination to run really fast on technical trails and the more you practice the more comfortable you will be.  Half Marathon pace is going to have you going at a good clip.

gdskelly

Late Starter

Thanks Flatfooter. I have been putting in some time on some technical trails. Probably should be doing more. I am not "really fast" on trail or road but am improving!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Besides hill training, if the trail you are racing is technical, I would recommend running some fast workouts on technical trails.   It takes a lot of coordination to run really fast on technical trails and the more you practice the more comfortable you will be.  Half Marathon pace is going to have you going at a good clip.

Yep. Even at slow speeds those roots somehow manage to jump up and grab you. It can be challenging to learn how to watch where you're placing your feet as well as watching what's coming up. I'm not very good at it and it can be unnerving trying to run on technical trails if you're not used to it. My last trail half I stumbled several times and had one spill. Even with that it was tons of fun.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

gdskelly

Late Starter

Well, I tried my trail hills tonight instead of the 6x800 workout. I had fun and it sure felt like a good workout (for me). The hills feel like they will fit in well on the Tuesday. Thanks for the tips!

gdskelly

Late Starter

Well, thought I would add a thanks here! I ran I ran my first HM today and finished just under 2h plus I completed the hilly trail run in just over 5h on Oct 4 (two laps). I was pleased with both. the advice to replace some of the speed days with hills worked well for me. I'm far from fast but I got them done in times I was happy with!

Thanks again for the advice :-)

Half Fanatic #846

Congrats - way to go!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!