2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - The forecast has changed a bit, and is now 50* and 50* chance of rain at race time (now with a crosswind).
    I'm undecided as to how I'll approach the race (some will certainly depend upon weather). All out? "Just" a new PR/sub-18?

Awesome that you're enjoying the freedom of just running how/when you feel like it.

Mark - Tapir pictures would be good.

Mikkey - 81.2 mi/wk year to date at 38 y/o, thank you very much!

My legs are feeling a bit junky (heavy and kinda "blah") this week. Physical taper crazies, I suppose.

Given my history of getting sick before marathons I'm giving thought to (and am being actively encouraged by DW to do so) staying at my parents' place after this week. We're heading there Thursday evening for a family get-together, but I'd be able to stay in their converted garage/furnished apartment all by my lonesome until just before needing to get on a plane. Decisions, decisions...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fishy nice short and sweet report! Seems like you learned something this race by taking more rest in the taper week!

Only other note - my Garmin dies at temps under 20. It's about 5 years old at this point. My guess is that's why yours died: the batteries of old watches especially do terribly in cold weather. With your great race, it's an excuse to go buy a new one 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I ran my 5k 10k PR 15 14 days before my marathon PR in 2019 at 53 54yo.

Me. Not using Pfitz at that time.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - I also find it curious that you're all out racing a 5km so close to a marathon.  I imagine it's just do get your legs to remember speed but couldn't you do that with shorter intervals?  Your training has been perfect though so who am I to question it...It sounds like a good plan to stay at your parents place, and great that your wife is encouraging it.  How many days before the race do you fly and how long is the flight?

Fishy - That is an exceptional race especially given the timing troubles which would have irreparably damaged many of us.

JMac - I really enjoyed the first 4 weeks of running after Melbourne for similar reasons, once my quads improved.  Also, I'm chatting with my potential new coach on Friday and if we're happy, we'll do a 60-90 minute initial consult then he'll take over from there.  It's almost double what I pay for my current coach, but there will be far more value given he's a full time coach.  Mark will know who he is - Andy Good, a local sub elite with a 2:20 marathon and he won the 2021 Selwyn race I did in 1:06.  Incidentally there was some dispute about which age grade he's in after he appeared in the 40-49 in 2 races.  He's under 40 so I'm not sure how that happened.  Getting my bloods done tomorrow then a follow up appointment at the Sports Clinic in 2 weeks to go over them and plan my yoga and improving my strength and flexibility.  Train your weaknesses first...it's going to be hard but it will pay off I'm sure.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Me. Not using Pfitz at that time.

I think the older you are the less likely you’ll want to be wrapped up in cotton wool during a marathon taper. 

ch17 - Just read your cat link, amazing and what a happy ending!

Fishyone - Perfect race!  I remember my old Garmin 305 dying after 2 miles during a low key marathon in 2017 (my fault as I forgot to charge it up)  Funnily enough it ended up being a very stress free race and just ran it by feel.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Given my history of getting sick before marathons I'm giving thought to (and am being actively encouraged by DW to do so) staying at my parents' place after this week. We're heading there Thursday evening for a family get-together, but I'd be able to stay in their converted garage/furnished apartment all by my lonesome until just before needing to get on a plane. Decisions, decisions...

Keen- Good luck! Health and weather are out of your control.  Your training has been phenomenal which is in your control! As far as racing before a marathon I'm sure a 5K won't be that significant.....BUT it's important to remember that no run between now and race day will make you faster but the wrong run between now and then could absolutely make you slower on race day.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Looking at the garmin 255.  Anyone have any experience with this version? Wife is thrilled that my watch died right before X-Mass, I guess I know what I'm getting

Also found 2 pairs of Endorphin Pro 2's on amazon for $109.  They've become my favorites for all runs except for recoveries. Anyone try to 3s yet?  New design.

mmerkle

I am also thinking about getting a new Garmin soon, so I'm interested to see what people have to say.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My legs are feeling a bit junky (heavy and kinda "blah") this week. Physical taper crazies, I suppose.

My legs always feel junky until about 3 days prior. That's actually a good sign imo. Don't want to be fresh too early.

That's a great partner! I definitely get a bit crazy the week leading in (a single person sniffling or coughing on the subway makes me walk to the other side of the car), and I have never gotten sick for a marathon. You must be 10x as paranoid.

Steve - that sounds like a good plan. I love the AG controversy.

Fishy - I'm still rocking the Forerunner 230. I don't need all of these fancy features. At some point, technology feels like they just throw stuff in there because they have to. It's like having an internal audit team. They're going to find something every audit because that's their job, even if the first time around the same issue would lead to zero comment. That's what Garmin is doing: throwing in useless features because they have to keep their jobs and new technology coming.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I suppose some intervals could do about the same thing, but I do think there's still some value in the race itself.

I'm leaving on Friday morning (Sunday race) - 4.5 hours flight time, a bit under 6 total travel given one layover. Given the 2 hour time change, we'll still arrive during the "morning", so plenty of time to do whatever (or do nothing) that day and still have another easy day before the race.

Fishy - I have a pair of Endorphin Pro 3s and have worn them twice - 22 miler w/ 12 at M effort, and my recent HM. To me they feel MUCH better underfoot than the Pro 1 and Speed 1 & 2. Quite responsive, but with just a bit more *squish* underfoot.
                      The only problem I've had with them (forgot to mention this in my RR earlier) is that I've had a blister formed and broken through over my Achilles each time I've worn them (first on the right, then the left), even though I was wearing crew length socks. It wasn't something I was aware of during the runs, though.
                      I figure I'll put some leukotape over them before CIM as an extra precaution.

PT stuff - DW was making some really good progress in her running until a couple weeks ago when she developed hip pain after (never during) runs. She saw a physio (dad of a girl on DD1's soccer team), who referred her to a PT in town. She was still having issues after the first 2-3 sessions, then a PT asked her if she had any foot issues - which she said she didn't think so.

The PT did some sort of flexibility test on her feet and her right one completely failed (WAY tight). That lead to some manipulation of her foot, which somehow loosened up everything from there to her hip and she's doing much better.

This kind of result has me curious about going for a visit even though I don't have any issues of which I'm aware. Maybe something's off and it's just been that way for so long that it seems "normal" to me. Certainly not until after CIM, though.

Watch sales - This list  is something anyone in the market should be looking at.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Fishyone

I read somewhere else that the pro 3s have a tendency to rub in the Achilles area. Something to keep in mind.  If I get a pair I'll try them out on a couple of MLRs as that's not something to find out mid-race!!

Thanks for the list. Will probably do a little shopping!

Fishy - I have a pair of Endorphin Pro 3s and have worn them twice - 22 miler w/ 12 at M effort, and my recent HM. To me they feel MUCH better underfoot than the Pro 1 and Speed 1 & 2. Quite responsive, but with just a bit more *squish* underfoot.
                        The only problem I've had with them (forgot to mention this in my RR earlier) is that I've had a blister formed and broken through over my Achilles each time I've worn them (first on the right, then the left), even though I was wearing crew length socks. It wasn't something I was aware of during the runs, though.
                        I figure I'll put some leukotape over them before CIM as an extra precaution.

Watch sales - This list  is something anyone in the market should be looking at.

Fishyone

Forgot to mention I ran Philly in the Nike "cheater shoes." First marathon in them (I ran the NB half in them last spring).

They kind of had a flat footed feel to them especially after I lost my music and was listening/hearing every step.  That said, I'm much less sore than previous races...maybe the shoes? 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - high 40's low 50's. So far in my experience a merino wool long sleeve t-shirt does the trick of keeping me warm even when my sweat accumulates.
                            Enjoy this phase of running for the joy of it!

Dave - is PNW the Pacific North West?
                            You're brave to be out there without any jacket when it's under 50 and raining.

Fishy - thanks for the report, that was a very well executed race.
                            Also, come on, you live in the one country where electronics are dirt cheap (comparatively to the rest of the world), you've got to take advantage of that 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishy - I'm still rocking the Forerunner 230. I don't need all of these fancy features.

+1 but the 220. It’s about 7.5 years old and still going strong. The battery life is not great, but it gets me through a marathon; if I wanted to run a 50k, it would be iffy. (Fortunately I don’t.) I don’t want a watch that judges me; all I really want is time, pace, and distance. I’ve never used a HRM. I do however need the Bluetooth connectivity with the GC phone app, and the ability to download workouts programmed in GC. But even the entry level 2-digit model watches have that now. I’d be tempted to get one of those when my 220 finally dies, but I sort of feel you need to get at least the 2xx level if you’re a “real runner.” 

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. I’d be tempted to get one of those when my 220 finally dies, but I sort of feel you need to get at least the 2xx level if you’re a “real runner.” 

Real runners wear Timex watches.  You don't want to carry any excess weight.

[I honestly know a fast guy - PR of 2:2x - who swaps out his Garmin for a Timex when racing for exactly that reason - no extra weight.  I don't get it, but maybe I would if I was a 2:2x marathoner]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.