Eternal Shin Splint (Read 39 times)

Muebele

Ok, I have had shin pain for a while that I cannot get ride of.  It does go away after a couple miles but it makes those first miles uncomfortable.  I am wearing different running shoes that I have in the past (Nike's).  I like them because they feel light, but could those be causing the pain, even if they aren't too old?  I even feel the pain when I am walking at times.  Any good ideas for how to get ride of them?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Generally, shin splints have three causes:

1) you aren't quite in the shape you think you are in for the workouts you want to do -- Not sure if you just started running in Dec, or just started logging again.  Cutting back (slower, shorter distances) is something to try for a couple weeks.

2) Shoes -- if they lack the support you need, sometimes this is the case.  Not sure which Nike shoes you're using (Flynit?) but it might be something to check out.

3) tight calves -- this is the most likely cause, in my experience.  Rolling your calves before and after can make a big difference.  It's also the easiest and cheapest of the lot to fix.  So, I'd roll/massage your calves aggressively for a week, and see how it works.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

IMHO, it is a good sign that it goes away after a couple miles. The pains you worry about are those that get worse as the run progresses. You said you've had it for "a while" - how long?

3) tight calves -- this is the most likely cause, in my experience.  Rolling your calves before and after can make a big difference.  It's also the easiest and cheapest of the lot to fix.  So, I'd roll/massage your calves aggressively for a week, and see how it works.

I second this as a possible factor. I've had shin pain crop up, but typically not lasting more than a week. You might try stopping 1/2-1 mile into the run if you are feeling the pain, stretching out your calves, then continuing the run. I used to have a lot of calf problems (not necessarily shin pain), and have a stretching routine I do after every run. This includes both upper calf (standard leaning against the wall stretch) & lower calf (same but with slightly bent knee). A lot of people also swear by eccentric heel drops/calf raises.

Dave

an amazing likeness

stadjak's 3 are the big 3, to which I'd add a 4th:  Forefoot slap.

Shin splints usually are almost always an overuse injury aggravated by too much forefoot 'slap' or other impact load (lots of downhill running, shoe design,etc), overuse, calf tightness, etc.

First thing is to use icing and care with your gait to stop it from getting worse, then work on strengthening and stretching both the calf (eccentric heel raises) and anterior shin muscles.

Shoes, pace, frequency of running compared to newness to running, and running surface are the main factors that cause the majority of all SS incidents.  You can do all you want to rehab them but unless you change the errors of your ways they will keep coming back.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.