2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

AceHarris

As far as scooters, cyclists, drivers, runners, etc go, I think in general most do a good job of looking out for each other. Perhaps living in a medium sized city with a smaller urban center has reduced bad encounters, but in general I rarely have issues running around town. If it's early a.m. I always take extra precautions because many drivers are not ready for the "crazy people" running at 5am, even though I have some sort of light with me.

My Week: 45.6 miles, gradually building, will start implementing a little speed in the coming weeks.

M: 6 easy (8:00) + strides

T: 6 easy (7:50)

W: 4 easy (8:18)

T: 7 hills (7:42) - worked the uphills and stayed easy on downhill

F: 6 easy (7:57) + strides

S: 12: 11 easy, 1 mile pickup - averaged 7:50s on the easy miles, 6:45 for the pickup mile
    S: 4 easy (8:04)

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Not much movement over the weekend, huh?

Ace - Do you have any races planned between now and Patriot's Day next year?

I can't comment much on cyclists or even traffic in general during my runs, simply because there really isn't any to speak of.

Big week last week. Switching my first easy day and workout around this week, but otherwise looking forward to a short taper outlined by DWave and JMac ahead of my half next Sunday.

M: 12 (20, 15, 10, 5 minutes T) + 3.1
      T: 10.5 + 3.1 Easy
      W: 10.5 + 3.1 Easy
      T: 15.1 (10x 1k @ between 10k & HM effort)
      F: 10.5 Easy
      S: 20.2
      S: 2.5 Easy
      Total: 90.7mi

In terms of my usual Mon-Sunday training week, this is #2 on the all-time list. If I use a Sunday-Saturday week (taking advantage of having paced the 15k two Sundays ago) that gives me a 7 day total of 100.3mi!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

keen - serious mileage!  (Only once did I hit 80 for a week.)

my week:

M: rd

T: spin

W: 7 easy + weights

Th: 10 easy

F: 4 easy + weights

S: 10 easy

S: urd

total = 31

Hey to everybody!

AceHarris

keen: I’m pretty certain I’ll do the Charleston HM in January. Flat course and my sister lives there. Probably the turkey day 5k (will be slow!) and maybe some local 10k to HM races.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - posting over here in your home so you would see it.

Nausea is my number one demon in races, followed closely in second by stitches. These two things hit me every single race before any sort of real leg fatigue gets to me. I discovered Nauzene tablets. I bring them with me every race, and try to take them with about 15 minutes left in the race. They can be hard sometimes when you're breathing so hard, i.e. I get out of breath trying to chew instead of breathing through my mouth. But they've been an absolute lifesaver for me since discovering them.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/nauzene-upset-stomach-relief-chewable-tablets-42-ct-prodid-459986

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - posting over here in your home so you would see it.

Nausea is my number one demon in races, followed closely in second by stitches. These two things hit me every single race before any sort of real leg fatigue gets to me. I discovered Nauzene tablets. I bring them with me every race, and try to take them with about 15 minutes left in the race. They can be hard sometimes when you're breathing so hard, i.e. I get out of breath trying to chew instead of breathing through my mouth. But they've been an absolute lifesaver for me since discovering them.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/nauzene-upset-stomach-relief-chewable-tablets-42-ct-prodid-459986

As always your advice is well valude, regardless of where you post it. I'll check those out. You and I seem to have similar issues (stomach) in races so finding new ways of doing things is really helpful, even if they result in me going down in a ball of fire to the amusement of others who read long drawn out "stream of consciousness" stories. (m (maybe) see you at CIM expo. It's in a new location so if you need/want a ride with a stranger that isn't sub 3 let me know.

See the source image

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interesting that they moved the expo.  It's still walkable from most downtown hotels, but that definitely makes those hotels along the river much more appealing.

Also...forgot to drop my week, so I'll do it now.

50 miles, 27 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
                M: 7 "miles" pool-running.
                T: 9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                W: 6 miles very easy to yoga (9:02), yoga, and 6 miles home (8:30) plus drills and strides
                Th: 12 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:59 (6:34/6:25) and 6:10, with 4:38 recovery. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                F: 11 "miles" of pool-running, followed by upperbody weights/core and DIY yoga.
                Sa: 16 miles progressive - split as first 5 miles averaging 9:00 pace; next 5 miles averaging 7:35 pace; last 6 miles averaging 6:43 pace. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                Su: 10 miles very easy (8:58), plus cheering at Marine Corps Marathon (until I got soaked and went home)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave you must walk a lot. It would honestly take me over an hour to walk there from downtown. Without living in the area I’d assume it’s because of construction and parking more cars at the arena is easier than downtown. It’s kind of congested compared to an empty parking lot and I’m unfamiliar with the parking for public transportation to/from the arena since I’m not local.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Walking from a downtown hotel to the arena?!  That's it ... I'm definitely deferring!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave you must walk a lot. It would honestly take me over an hour to walk there from downtown. Without living in the area I’d assume it’s because of construction and parking more cars at the arena is easier than downtown. It’s kind of congested compared to an empty parking lot and I’m unfamiliar with the parking for public transportation to/from the arena since I’m not local.

Ooof.  Yeah, my mistake.  I was looking at the Golden 1 Center, not the Sleep Train Arena.

Hopefully they'll offer a shuttle or something from downtown.

Weird that they did that.  Marine Corps did something similar, starting a few years ago.  They moved the expo to Maryland (the marathon is in DC and Virginia) a good 30+ minutes by car away from the start/finish, and in a location not accessible by public transportation.  Really not good for the runners.  (In MCM's case, they apparently got some financial incentives from the state of Maryland to do that).

A lot of local running stores in DC and Virgina ended up partnering with MCM to offer satellite packet pick-up - if you committed to buy a certain amount of stuff from the running store, they'd pick up your packet and hold  it in the store for you, so you didn't have to go to the expo.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

A lot of local running stores in DC and Virgina ended up partnering with MCM to offer satellite packet pick-up - if you committed to buy a certain amount of stuff from the running store, they'd pick up your packet and hold  it in the store for you, so you didn't have to go to the expo.

Free bib pickup and I just have to do something I'd do anyways?

See the source image

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Free bib pickup and I just have to do something I'd do anyways?

See the source image

Yup - it ended up very popular.  I went and refreshed myself on it - apparently you had to buy $75 worth of Brooks gear from their store, and then they'd pick up for you.

So a good deal if you run in Brooks shoes or wanted a Brooks jacket.  Maybe not so great otherwise.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yup - it ended up very popular.  I went and refreshed myself on it - apparently you had to buy $75 worth of Brooks gear from their store, and then they'd pick up for you.

So a good deal if you run in Brooks shoes or wanted a Brooks jacket.  Maybe not so great otherwise.

Maybe a few pairs of brooks shorts with phone pocket in the right leg if they quit FAWKING up the pockets and made some kind of effort to consider removing gels at race pace. Seriously....zippered pocket and two pockets that have covers making sure your stuff doesn’t fall out is great until you want to remove something during a race like snacks. I guess the zipper pocket is for holding a mixture of snacks. I’m happy I purchased three pairs of the originals.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Last couple of weeks for me...

M:  4.0

T:  Rest

W:  3.8

T:  Rest

F:  2.3

S:  50.5

S:  Rest

Total:  60.6

M:  Rest

T:  1.4

W:  Rest

T:  2.0

F:  Rest

S:  3.1

S:  3.7

Total:  10.2

The Fall 50 went OK, finished in 8:14:17.  12th O/A, 6th male masters.  A bit of a headwind for much of the day, so I was pretty pleased with the result.  I'm feeling pretty recovered, so things will begin to ramp up next week, for February's Black Canyon 100K.

Keen:  That was a nice 90-mile week you had there!

CalBears

I saw Jim ran 1:39 HM today...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile