Way off the Beaten Path - Ski Goggles (Read 525 times)

va

Any runners who ski? I am going skiing next week and want to get a decent pair of ski goggles. Any recommendations? Also, I wear glasses. I there such a thing a ski goggles that fit over glasses?
    Jill_B

I fly.

I ski, Abracadooble (sp?) is a big time ski-girl. Yes, they make goggles that fit over glasses... as for recomendations, I'd go to a specialty store and talk to them.

Bring it on.

va

I ski, Abracadooble (sp?) is a big time ski-girl. Yes, they make goggles that fit over glasses...
        excellent, thanks
        ...as for recomendations, I'd go to a specialty store and talk to them.
        It's funny, I hardly ever shop in brick and mortar stores any more. I much rather shop on-line. You're talking to a guy who buys his own running shoes on-line (with good success).
        Jill_B

I fly.

I'd want to try the goggles on... but if you buy shoes online, you might be okay not trying them on.

Bring it on.

I used to ski a lot. Now, not so much...though I did take 2 of my kids up skiing last week for a day. I think goggles are one of those things, like gloves and poles, that you should try to spend as little money as possible on. There is very little difference in performance from a $40 pair of Smiths and a $100 pair of Oakleys. Just find some that are comfortable and don't look too goofy. And if you want there are some that are meant to go over glasses.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

I wouldn't shell out big $$ for the name... $35-40 should do it just fine...plenty of options to fit over glasses. Just like sunglasses, there is a direct correlation between $$ and likelihood of losing/crushing/scratching... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I used to get stuff from Artech - www.artechski.com and found them reasonably priced and reliable - probably lots of other places, but they sell wax and tuning stuff on-line that you almost-definately dont want. That said, I think you should really go to a ski shop and find goggles that fit. The most important thing is to find a pair that fits well with your helmet. Smith and Scott are good brands. Bolle and Oakley are also good, but tend to cost more $$$. Unless you are skiing a ton, you are better off spending your money on a good pair of boots, gloves, or a helmet. Or lift-tickets. Tongue The goggles with a fan cost a fortune and do not help, from what I hear. If you ski a lot, prescription goggles (or contact lenses!) are probably worth the investment, but again, low on my list of priorities. (Heck, did I mention I need new skis but dont have the money and refuse to give up my race-stock slaloms? Roll eyes Call me cheap cash-limited or stubborn, or maybe a bit of both, but for the number of days I get these days....) Goggles protect your eyes - sunglasses do not. And speaking of safety, yes, you should wear a helmet. (Inserting boring story about when I crashed and was really glad I had it on. And the times I landed inches away from tree-trunks. Close-encounters of the treed-kind. Stopping off my ignored-lecture now.) The better ski you, the more important this is. And it is warmer when it is cold, and they vent great when it is hot. You should also be sure to hide an abracadabra (is that me, JB?) in your boot-bag. Where are you going?
                va

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. Hi abbaroodle, I never really thought about getting a helmet, since I like to stay in control at all times and don't take a lot of risks. I want to get goggles, for even at the slow speeds I travel, the cold wind in my face makes my eyes water, combined with the snow coming down, and my glasses, and I am practically skiing blind. We are going to Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. Have you ever been there? I was there once, at the end of March last year, and had the most incredible time. It snowed most of the time we were there, so the conditions were amazing. (Meanwhile it was in the 50s back in central Virginia!) They have a good variety of trails, and I thought we got a real good deal on lodging and lift tickets (2 people, 2 nights lodging, 2 days of lift tickets, for a grand total of $235).
                    I think I learned to use polls (headlights!) at Snowshoe - I am pretty sure that was W VA, but I am not sure which mtn. It was about 20 years ago, and I was about 5 or 6. Big grin Agree with getting goggles - they keep you from being miserable and protect your eyes. I still recommend a helmet though its obviously your call, especially as you get faster - I stay in control too, except when I loose control and fall. But that is personal choice. I think part of it depends on where you ski - I like to do off-trail stuff where there are lots of trees. My experience shows variation at differnet mtns even a few miles apart - and studies have shown geographical differences (East vs West). Dont wear a bike helmet - you will be cold and it doesnt protect you where you need it. Adults who want their kids to wear a helmet should definately be setting an example - like wearing a seatbelt or bike helmet! "Back in my day, kids didnt sit in the front-seat of cars. They sat in the back. Of the pick-up truck."
                    Thanks everyone for all the great tips. Hi abbaroodle, I never really thought about getting a helmet, since I like to stay in control at all times and don't take a lot of risks. I want to get goggles, for even at the slow speeds I travel, the cold wind in my face makes my eyes water, combined with the snow coming down, and my glasses, and I am practically skiing blind. We are going to Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. Have you ever been there? I was there once, at the end of March last year, and had the most incredible time. It snowed most of the time we were there, so the conditions were amazing. (Meanwhile it was in the 50s back in central Virginia!) They have a good variety of trails, and I thought we got a real good deal on lodging and lift tickets (2 people, 2 nights lodging, 2 days of lift tickets, for a grand total of $235).
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Adults who want their kids to wear a helmet should definately be setting an example - like wearing a seatbelt or bike helmet!
                      Just quoting this so no one misses it. Drives me up a friggin' tree when I see a family on bikes and the kids have helmets, but not mom and dad. All that teaches kids is that adults aren't at risk and that they will someday be big enough for riding without a helmet, which is so not true. Heck, sometimes I think I should run with a helmet...I'm not particularly graceful. I haven't skied in years (not for lack of loving the sport...it's one thing that I'm sort of a natural at--big thighs are good for downhill, baby! Too expensive and not enough good skiing near us), but I would wear a helmet now. I'm careful and don't fall too much, but there are always crazies on the slopes just waiting to mow me down. Same reason I wear a seatbelt and drive a car with 6 airbags. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles with only once accident (15 years ago), but it's sheer luck that has kept me from becoming victim of someone else's lack of skill and care. You can't replace your brain. I'd spring for the helmet. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay