Morton's Neuroma & Surgery (Read 2424 times)

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

I've seen some posts on here about Morton's Neuroma, but none of them have gone so far as to have surgery to have the neuroma removed. I've been struggling with Morton's Neuroma for over three years now. I've had the cortisone shots, metatarsal pads, and even two series of sclerotic injections, all to no avail. My podiatrist says the only remaining option is surgery to remove the pinched nerve that is causing the pain. He's being very cautious however, and has advised me to think long and carefully about taking this step. Has anyone had this surgery? I understand the recuperation period can be quite lengthy. My doctor says that they "hard-wire" stitches in the foot for up to three weeks so the wound doesn't tear open, and that total time off the foot can be up to six months. Obviously, this would take a big bite out of my running! Any advice/suggestions would be welcome, as well. Thanks!

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

Fred, Wish I would have seen this post sooner. I've had the surgery. I wanted to let you know that the experience was not fun, but not that bad either. I develeped Morton's Neuroma in my left foot from stepping on a piece of ice while running during the winter months. Didn't think much of it and kept on running. By the time I had the surgery, the neuroma was the size of the last joint of my finger. Why it hurts so bad (mine would burn or sting when I would step on it wrong) is that scar tissue forms around the nerve. Mine developed so much that it got as big as a finger tip as I mentioned above. My surgery was pretty simple and took about 1 hour. I actually had it done under a local anesthetic (I think I spelled this right). Dr. just gave me about 5 shots in my foot to numb it and after 10 minutes started the procedure. Not sure what your Dr. means by "hard wire" stitches. I had about 2 -3 layers of stitched in my foot to hold everything together, that was it. As long as your careful, they should not tear open. After about 2 weeks, the Dr. removed the stitches from my skin. Recovery is not fun I will tell you that, but it isn't as bad as what your Dr. is telling you. I was on crutches for about 6 weeks after the procedure, then my Dr. put me in a shoe-type thing that was hard on the bottom and did not flex to keep my foot stable. Wore this for another month as the foot continued to heal. After that I was allowed to wear a regular shoe again. Believe it or not, this was the rough part. My foot had been basically rigid for a little over 2 months. The tendons and muscles hadn't been used during that time. Was really sore for a week or so as everything started to loosen up. After about 3 months or so I was beginning to slowly start running again. Took a few months after that, but everything came around. Being that it's a soft-tissue surgery, it does not take forever to heal. You do have to be patient and careful during that first month. BUT, once you do heal, the pain is gone for good. I ran 3 marathons after I had the procedure with no issue. If you have reservations, I would seek a second opinion. Doesn't hurt to check things out with another Dr. Good Luck, Chris
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but I know people have successfully treated Morton's Neuroma by very slowly and carefully incorporating barefoot walking and eventually running into their exercise program. Shoes compress your feet and prevent them from spreading out as much as they naturally do when barefoot. Search for Morton's Neuroma on the Yahoo Barefoot Running forum.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          I agree with your suggestions, but my condition had progressed so far that surgery was my only option. The nerve had so much scar tissue that it had formed a tumor at little larger than a almond. There was no way it was going to shrink down or respond to anything but surgery. It was a tough decision to make, but luckily I had an experienced podiatrist/surgeon who know what was going on within my foot.
          nattycole

Hi. I had a question. I am about to have surgery for Morton's Neuroma. Because of the position of my neuroma my doctor is going with the plantar approach instead of the dorsal. Which did you have done? Was is done from the bottom or the top. I am a bit reserved to have the surgery but nothing else has worked. My doctor said that I would be on crutches for about 3 weeks. I was just hoping to get your thoughts on which surgery you had done, the plantar or the dorsal. Thanks so much any information would be helpful! THANKS! Nicole
              Nicole, I had mine done from the top. Dr. said that this was the best approach for mine. Yes, you will be on crutches for about 3 weeks then a surgical shoe for about another 3 to 4 weeks. I don't recommend the surgery unless it's necessary. As Ed4 said, there are other ways to treat it. But as I indicated in earlier posts, it was my only option. I immediately knew I had done the right thing when I saw the size of the nerve tumor that was removed from my foot. If you need it done, it will work. Once I healed I had (and still have) no issues with it whatsoever. It does take awhile though. As I learned, there is scar tissue within the foot that also needs to be loosened up. It will feel a little funny for awhile and almost feel like something is still in there, but once the scar tissue softens, this will go away. Wouldn't have even known I had the surgery except for the scar on the top of my foot.

Top 'O the World!

I'm so glad I found this thread! Enrt Podiatrist this afternoon to chat about what I suspect is M.N. Sad been having brief issues for a few yrs now....most consistently since I ramped up my mileage over this past 6 wks, then a downhill HM has left me feeling "bruised' for about 3-4wks now....
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                nattycole

Chris, Thanks so much for the info. I have had shots of steroids to no avail. Changed my shoes. Got inserts. Nothing helped. I am on my feet ALL DAY. My doctor said that surgery was my best option to get rid of my pain. When I am not at work I am on the couch with ice on my foot. It hurts me incredibly to even talk a short distance walk now. How long ago was your surgery. How long was it before you could start running, and getting back into your everyday routine. Again thank you for all your help. Nicole
                  nattycole

Mtnchk1, When my Morton's Neuroma first started bothering me, it was in the same situation. I walk/run all the time with my Great Dane. He loves being outside. The more I started running the worse my pain became. Now I can hardly work let alone take a walk. There are some great Non- surgical treatments that worked for me for a while. Just a simple change in shoes, some inserts, and a shot I was fine for a while. Then not long ago, my MN started acting up again. Now my only option is surgery. I have had several shots since my MN started acting up again. All of the shots I got did nothing this time.It seems my new best friends are a pillow and an ice pack! I pray that my surgery will go well. Hopefully you and your doctor can come up with something that works for you. Good luck! Nicole
                      Nicole, It took me about 2-3 months before I was back on the road again. It takes awhile, but it was worth it. No pain or problems after that. One thing in your first post that I've been thinking about, why does your Dr. want to go through the bottom of your foot to remove the neuroma? My Dr. specifically went through the top of my foot as he said that recovery is a little quicker and you have less issues with scar tissue. Now by no means am I an expert with the surgery, but was just wondering why. Either way, I hope your surgery goes very well and that you heal quickly. Have you scheduled a date for the procedure? Good Luck!! Chris
                      nattycole

Chris, My doctor and I discussed this for a long time. He said he could go in though the top if the foot, but because of the position of my neuroma the success rate would be higher if we went in though the bottom. It has to do where the pain is located in my foot and the size of the neuroma. He said it would be a longer recovery time if we did the plantar approach, but it would be the most effective. I wanted to schedule the surgery for as soon as possible. My surgery is scheduled for August 7. It took me about a month and a half to get in. I made the appointment at the end of June. Hopefully everything will go alright and I will be back on my feet before you know it! You said that you were off your feet for a while. Were you on crutches for that long? One other thing I was curious about, how long did the actual surgery take? Thanks again for everthing! Nicole
                          Nicole, Yes, I was off my feet for awhile and was on crutches for about 4 weeks. The surgery took about an hour and I had it done under a local. Felt a lot of pulling and pressure on my foot during the surgery, but no pain (foot was numbed up really well). Glad to hear that you have a date for the procedure. Again, good luck and be patient with the recovery. It's worth it in the end! Chris
                          nattycole

Chris, After hearing you say that I feel a whole lot better. I am so nervous! I know I need the procedure though. Yesterday I went shopping for my birthday. I was walking maybe two hours and when I got done I thought my foot was going to fall off. I can hardly walk today. Days like these I am not so nervous, I am more anxious to have the surgery! I can't believe you had the surgery done awake under a local! I would have fainted! I am not so good with pain. Anyways thank you for support and the information about your own surgery. Only 4 more days till the big surgery! Thank you for everything again! Nicole
                              Nicole, I'll be pulling for you, let me know how things went. I don't remember the pain being too bad after the surgery. Take care! Chris
                              nattycole

Chris, Thanks! Right now it is 5:45 AM. Just about to leave to go to surgery! Can't wait to get this over with. I will let you know how everything went as soon as I get a chance! The anticipation before having this surgery is going to be worse than the surgery itself. I'll keep you informed! Nicole