Small bug with mapping a course (Read 445 times)

Hi,

I have found that when editing courses lately there is a difference between the distance saved in "Default distance" and the distance shown just above the map. It happens with most of the courses, but to give an example, have a look at this one

Francois Nel

Just to add:
      I use Win 7 x64 with Chrome 17.0.963.83 m

Hi Francois,

Sorry about the late reply.  I've been looking into the problem since you reported it and I finally tracked it down tonight.  The server uses an older (less accurate) way of calculating the distance while the map uses the more precise method.  I'll update the server code to use the new formula.  Thanks for reporting the problem.

eric Smile

I just uploaded the fix.  You'll need to go through your courses and delete the course distance so that the true distance can be calculated and repopulated.

jason-b

I think I'm seeing this bug still. I just uploaded a mountain bike ride from this weekend and the distance shows as 7.98 miles in the summary for the entry, but the map shows it as 8.38. Any chance you could take another look at it?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

I don't think this is the same problem.  The original problem was specific to the course itself.  Yours is pertaining to the displayed workout distance versus the workout's map distance.

Your workout was imported from the GPS.  The workout distance is obtained from what the GPS reported as the total distance.  The map's distance is calculated from the actual data points.  If there is indeed a problem, you will need to send me the original data file from the GPS so that I can see what happened.  Which GPS do you have?

jason-b

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse issues. I've got a Garmin ForeRunner 305 and can send you the data you need but am not sure what all I'd need to do. Do you think it's just a difference between what the GPS recorded as the distance and what Google Maps thinks the distance is? Which one is right?

Should I move this to another topic since I've kind of hijacked this one?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

I sent you a private message.  We can take it from there.

eric Smile