Running Shoe cushion (Read 590 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

This may be a stupid question but don't people want a shoe with a lot of cushioning? Most of the time it is not too much at the expense of weight so why would you not want as much cushioning as possible? Does it make the shoe stiffer?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Menace to Sobriety

Different strokes. I prefer a relatively firm shoe. I started running in a fairly soft shoe and got shin splints real bad. Switched to a firmer shoe and that took care of the problem. I also like more feedback through the shoe. Real cushiony shoes make it feel like I'm running in sand or muck.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Jeri from Houston

Shoes with more cushioning are usually less stable and have thicker midsoles. This allows motion to medial side (pronation) or lateral side (supination) to occur more easily. Your body will adapt to the amount of cushion so more isn't necessary better. Probably more important is the profile ie... heel to forefoot values. Racing Flats are 18/8, Light Weight Trainers 20/10 and regular Trainers 22/12 to 24/12 to use values from several Manufacturers. I prefer a 20/10 profile of a Lightweight Trainer of 9 to 10.5 oz using the current range of weight from several manufacturers. I am a wear tester for two companies now and have been as many as four companies in the last few years.
        mikeymike

I like cushy trainers for easy jogging on recovery days, anything faster than that and I like to be able to feel the road.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tend to like shoes with softer, less dense midsoles. Not thick wedges of cushion, but squishier, more flexible cushion.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It's a comfort thing. I weigh almost 200 pounds and love cushioning - the more the better. I have been an Asics man since 9th grade - it also helps their cushioned models are readily available in my size 15. I really don't notice them being stiff - after I run once or twice in them it feels like I've had them for months. I tried lighter weight (10 oz) models once but had lingering soreness and knee pains while training with them. IMO an extra ounce or two isn't going to make a huge impact on your time during a training run. Racing - yeah, maybe lightweight flats are better (I race in trainers because I'm too cheap to get flats)