What next - Ultra (50mi) or lots of marathons? (Read 1416 times)

as far as those that go into it with low miles, the reason I'm not inclined to do that is because I'm naturally a preparer, so for my mental stability and confidence I've got to put in at least the minimum that the schedules recommend.  In reality I may be able to get away with less, but I'd stress myself out more than the stress on my body.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

This is a great thread!  I'm also looking to do my first 50 in May. At the same time, I am training for a half in April.  I'm kind of combining the training between the two so my half training is more like marathon training and my long runs will just be extra long.  I'm hoping this works.  

I'm also someone who reads a ton before doing anything and have already read a bazillion forums and race reports and websites about ultras including that "Relentless Forward Progress" book.  After all this reading, I am the most worried about food.  It seems that in the end you just have to experiment and figure it out for yourself during training runs.  

Am I right to be this worried about the calories? What combination / permutation of gels, sports drinks, water, s-caps, real food I need to eat so I'm not a complete mess by the end? For my marathons I just did mostly water, a little Gatorade and GU, but everyone says that after a few hours this doesn't work anymore and Gatorade and GU don't sit well. Anyways, I'm freaking out, though it's probably too early for that.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

it was at about 40 miles that things became tough. 

I read that a lot over the weekend.  They say you have to prepare yourself for it to get really bad, expect it, embrace.  Everyone has a different tolerance level though I guess.

They had a lot on the walk/run ratio with 25/5 and 5/1 being common.  I don't think I could pay that much attention to my watch to be able to run 5 minutes then walk 1 - for 50 miles.  I have to tune out and think happy thoughts.  Some people stated they run for 50 min and walk for 10, whereas others said that they'd be too trashed after the 50 that the damage had already been done. 

Am I right to be this worried about the calories? What combination / permutation of gels, sports drinks, water, s-caps, real food I need to eat so I'm not a complete mess by the end? For my marathons I just did mostly water, a little Gatorade and GU, but everyone says that after a few hours this doesn't work anymore and Gatorade and GU don't sit well. Anyways, I'm freaking out, though it's probably too early for that.

I have a limit of gu and it's around 20 mi.  If I eat it after that point, I feel really nauseous.  But as someone said, a marathon and an ultra are completely different things, with a slower pace my upper limit may be much higher.

Maybe this article will answer some of your questions:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/8/8_1/a-primer-for-the-beginnin.shtml

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... affirms my decision to never, ever, ever probably ...

This deserves repeating for really illustrating the negative correlation between this sport and intelligence.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

I hope so - Better find something you can eat.  I am blessed with an ability to eat (And cursed) - I would not recomend it, but in my 1st 50 I ate 25 gels. 

I have a limit of gu and it's around 20 mi.  If I eat it after that point, I feel really nauseous.  But as someone said, a marathon and an ultra are completely different things, with a slower pace my upper limit may be much higher.

Maybe this article will answer some of your questions:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/8/8_1/a-primer-for-the-beginnin.shtml

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

BTW - Many ultra runners eat very little - I am not sure how

There are a few products that claim to help the metabolism of fat or at least use fat as fuel ~ Udos Oil, Vespa

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

BTW - Many ultra runners eat very little - I am not sure how

I am guilty of this.  Somewhere between 20-30 miles I just forget to eat.  I am thinking about bringing a stopwatch in timer mode for next time to beep every 30 minutes so I don't forget to eat.

Kalsarikännit

The third grade daughter of a member of the ultralist got this answer wrong on a recent test:

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

I'll sign the protest for that score!  Smile

Runners run

I'll sign the protest for that score!  Smile

+1.  I know zero people who run 50 yard races.  I know lots of people who do 50 mile races.  Heck, who's even HEARD of a 50 yard?  (distance runner bias...what?)

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek