Can't ... do... it... Help? (Read 888 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I was happily training for an early January marathon. I hit mid-November and, as the long runs cranked upward of 16 miles, my body started to burn out a little. I cut back on mileage, and then found out I had to re-schedule to a different marathon - Austin on February 17th. I cut back a few weeks in my training plan and was going along reasonably well. Obviously the holidays slowed things down a bit, but I was doing okay. Then January 3rd hit. January 3rd was the day I started my second semester of medical school. The first day I was at school from 8 AM to 10 PM going to class and studying. Pretty much every day after that was pretty similar. IF I made it out to run, my runs became absolutely miserable. I started eating like crap - junk food that I would never normally eat, because it's all about satisifying basic body needs in the minimum amount of time so I can get back to work. And, since about three weeks ago, I just want to sleep all the time. ALL the time - last Saturday I slept maybe 12 hours out of the day. I fall asleep in lecture. I fall asleep at the library. The weird thing is that as far as I know, I'm sleeping fine at night. I went for a 3.8 mile run this morning that was pretty miserable. At about 77% MHR, I felt like I was pulling elephants behind me. This isn't even my marathon pace, and I can't do 4 miles of it! All my recent runs have been so awful, that even if I did have time to get my butt out more,I'm not sure I could get over the mental hump. I had my a$$ handed to me at the Derry 16-mile Boston Prep (although, who didn't? That course is just...wrong) two weeks ago - it was the first race where I ended up having to stop and walk a substantial portion. From step 1 there was just nothing in there and my legs were dead weight. I've run better races cold. Feel free to check out my log, especially the monthly distances to see what I'm talking about. I guess now that I write this out, it's becoming clear that I might just be over-stressed and a little burned out on running, but does anyone have any suggestions on getting me through the last two weeks to this race without losing all my fitness? I'm about two finger widths away from just taking a fun trip to Austin (aren't they all? What a great place), and not running the marathon.
    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Have you checked your Iron levels? Someone I knew grew very tired when training intensely for a race, and actually was anemic. She had to start eating lots of red meat and take iron supplements to get back on track. Just a thought. Chris

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

for what it is worth...it may not be the running at all...seems like med school is taking a huge toll on your time and energy. Combine that with the junk food....and it could be leading to some depression and being a little blue. I am trying to make a guess that you are going to bed at 11 or 12 and getting up at 6 or 7. This just may not be enough hours of sleep either. So...if you blow off the Austin, what does it matter? If you cut short the time in Medical school for two more weeks, will it be nearly impossible to recover? Being a kind of black and white, either or thinker, it sounds like you may need to give up the marathon idea until school relaxes a bit..or blow off school and run the marathon. In 10 years, what would matter most? A successful marathon run or good grades in Med school. This just may be the season in your life where you run shorter races until you can have more time to adequately and comfortably train for a longer race. I looked at your goals for 2008...you got quite a lot on your plate this year... good luck in your decision making....
          ps.. great picture of you wet harvesting craneberries...I sure miss that part of MA!!! Down at the Edaville Railroad for harvest time....mmm...fresh craneberries right out of the bog....yummy!
          seeEricaRun

Awesome

ps.. great picture of you wet harvesting craneberries...I sure miss that part of MA!!! Down at the Edaville Railroad for harvest time....mmm...fresh craneberries right out of the bog....yummy!
            Funny! My parents own bogs right down the street from Edaville, less than a mile away - that's where the picture was taken.
            seeEricaRun

Awesome

Have you checked your Iron levels? Someone I knew grew very tired when training intensely for a race, and actually was anemic. She had to start eating lots of red meat and take iron supplements to get back on track. Just a thought. Chris
              Actually - that is not a bad thought. Since I'm pescatarian and don't exactly eat fish often, I have a hard time getting enough iron. I usually try to monitor my iron intake a little more closely, but I haven't really been paying attention to anything I shove in my face lately. Thanks for the suggestion! And, if anyone cares, I learned last semester in Nutrition (I know, I know) that iron is one of the most common mineral deficiencies in women in the US (along with calcium and magnesium if I remember correctly). It is not usually a problem in men because of the higher proportion of meat in the diet.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I learned last semester in Nutrition (I know, I know) that iron is one of the most common mineral deficiencies in women in the US (along with calcium and magnesium if I remember correctly). It is not usually a problem in men because of the higher proportion of meat in the diet.
                Periods play a role too, don't they? Eating enough meat has definitely not been my problem. I'd bet that a combo of diet and med school stress have a lot to do with your run quality. When I'm eating overly processed stuff with minimal nutrition my runs definitely suffer. Lack of sleep is a biggie, too. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon and find something that gets your runs back on track. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Eryn

In 10 years, what would matter most? A successful marathon run or good grades in Med school.
                  The successful running, IMHO. Erica, you have my full sympathies. I'm graduating from medical school this May, and I don't know how I made it though 1st year. It really sucked. I was borderline depressed my second semester, not sleeping, and gained weight. The most important thing for you right now is to take care of yourself as much as you can and slack off on school a little bit. Seriously, don't work so hard. They make you think that you have to honor everything in order to get into residency, blah, blah, blah (which is true if you want to do derm... but who wants to look at rashes all day? Tongue), but otherwise, pass your classes and call it good. For reals. Get okay with bare minimum grades and take more time for yourself. I had a hard time getting into a groove for scheduling runs 1st year-- but I found that lunchtime runs worked out relatively well. Is there an hour long break sometime during the day that you could run for 3-4 miles?? Lunchtime? After tests? Stick to the running if it keeps you sane. If it's stressing you out, cancel the marathon and just run for fun, otherwise just realize this isn't a PR race and have a good time. Go to the Dr and get your thyroid and iron checked, that might help, too. I feel for you!! I hated 1st & 2nd year, but school gets so much better! Hang in there. Eryn

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

McShane

Erica, It is impressive that your are attempting to do both. What I would do is dump the Marathon, go to Austin, and drink a ton of Guinness and listen to some quality ALT Country Rock. The most important thing is to eat better, sleep more, and exercise to invigorate your mind and body. Marathons will always be a goal, but do it so the training does not debilitate you. I am bagging training right now as my knee is swollen, sucks, but hey, time heals most things. Oh yea, eat more cranberries! keep your goals reasonable, run for fun, buy yourself some flowers, and be good to yourself. Smile TB

Another Passion

I think Eryn gave you some pretty solid advice a couple posts back. Good luck Erica! Wink

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com