Does Marathon Running Brings More Knee Injuries? (Read 109 times)

aloneguy

poster modified it to link spam

Yeah, I have read several articles dispelling the myth that running ruins your knees. It's just another excuse lazy people have to rationalize their lack of exercise. Kind of like the thought that "you only have so many heartbeats in your life, exercise just speeds up the heart and makes you die younger" excuse to be fat and deplorable.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

runnin gal

A dermatologist I worked for once said that there are so many benefits to exercise that even if running (or in his case-tennis) is "bad" for knees, he would rather live longer with bad knees than die sooner with good knees!

paul2432

Yeah, I have read several articles dispelling the myth that running ruins your knees. It's just another excuse lazy people have to rationalize their lack of exercise. Kind of like the thought that "you only have so many heartbeats in your life, exercise just speeds up the heart and makes you die younger" excuse to be fat and deplorable.

I know plenty of people that are extremely hard working and very successful, but happen to be overweight.  I think it is ludicrous to call such people lazy and deplorable.

Someone could just as easily accuse me of being self-centered because I'm out running all the time, which contributes nothing to society.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I know plenty of people that are extremely hard working and very successful, but happen to be overweight.  I think it is ludicrous to call such people lazy and deplorable.

Someone could just as easily accuse me of being self-centered because I'm out running all the time, which contributes nothing to society.

While your point is generally well-made, your "running all the time" is actually contributing a lot to society.  Presuming you are not obese or overweight, you're not contributing to the $147 BILLION in annual medical costs directly attributable to obesity.  According to the CDC, where I got that number, that's the cost from 2008, so it's no doubt gone up since then.  So thanks for all that running!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

While your point is generally well-made, your "running all the time" is actually contributing a lot to society.  Presuming you are not obese or overweight, you're not contributing to the $147 BILLION in annual medical costs directly attributable to obesity.  According to the CDC, where I got that number, that's the cost from 2008, so it's no doubt gone up since then.  So thanks for all that running!

It's funny, because you could go back and forth on this.  I'm pretty sure that my running (and more specifically, my habits of using a lot of shoes and gels and plastic water bottles and traveling to races all over the place) is a net cost to the environment over my watching TV on the couch.

My partner doesn't run and used to smoke.  We used to always joke that my annual medical bills were much higher than his (running injuries, etc).  That held true until he had a quadruple bypass...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I don't recall mentioning obesity. Or work (for money) ethic.

I know plenty of skinny people who are incredibly lazy in regards to physical activity.

I have no idea how good, bad, or indifferent their knees are.

paul2432

“Fat and deplorable”

Running is a leisure activity people do for fun.  Saying someone is too lazy to run is like saying he or she is too lazy to play checkers.

“Fat and deplorable”

Running is a leisure activity people do for fun.  Saying someone is too lazy to run is like saying he or she is too lazy to play checkers.

Tru Dat. Totally validates my point.

To be fair, I think almost everyone is fat and deplorable, and they should stay off my lawn.

delicate flower

Monday will be marathon #10 since my second left ACL reconstruction.

<3