Which watch is best - Polar M430, Garmin FR235, 0r GarminFR35 (Read 145 times)

Am shopping for a new GPS running watch with wrist based HR and may use it for bike riding too. I have always used Garmin Connect but am open to Polar since I also started sync-ing runs here. Polar is selling the M430 for 199, I can get the FR35 for 149 and the FR235 is about 249. I am sort of intrigued by the Polar M430 for the price since it has a lot of cool features and is waterproof. Any opinions or thoughts on these watches?

Kennedy

Most of the online reviews I've seen on the Garmin FR235 have been positive, but I've had mine for 5 months now, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the least functional watch I've ever had.  The HRM is off by 30-40 beats per minute on a regular basis.  The first day I had it, I was running along, and it said my HR was 119.  I was shocked by this, so I immediately took my pulse, and it was 146.  A few miles later, the watch indicated my HR was 166.  I again checked manually, and my HR was 148.  Yesterday I was driving, and the watch listed my HR at 105-106 for several minutes.  I checked manually, and my HR was 56.  So, in my opinion, the HRM on this watch is an invalid gimmick.  One other gimmicky feature is the sleep monitoring.  I tried it for about 5 nights, and that was enough to write it off as invalid.  The worst night was a situation where I tossed and turned all night, and I probably got a total of 4-5 hours of sleep.  The watch listed me as getting 10 solid hours of sleep with just 10 minutes of being awake.  It was counting 2 hours of lying on the couch watching TV as sleeping soundly, and 8 hours of tossing and turning as sleeping soundly.

Thanks for the feedback. The Sleep feature or activity tracker is not important to me. Just for running. I was hoping these wrist-based HR features actually work. I have ditched my chest strap with my old FR410 and use the scosche rhythm+ heart rate monitor armband. It is fairly accurate when placed on my upper arm and syncs via bluetooth or +ANT. Hopefully there is a wrist-based watch that'll work. I suppose the Polar site is as good as Garmin Connect??

All About that Pace 2024

Always go to DCRainmaker for running watch reviews.  No one is better and he doesn't get paid for his reviews.  Actually buys all the watches/gear that he looks at.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Yes DCrainmaker is the man! I already looked at his reviews. Saw his 15 min  video running with a bunch of watches at same time then analyzing data together in a graph. I think he spoke well of the Polar M430.

I like the looks of the 235, but I ended up getting a M400, and then M430 to replace it. I didn't have any other Garmin stuff other than a decade old handheld GPS, so I didn't need it to synch and work with other Garmin products and apps.

I should say that I got an M430 to replace the M430; last week on a trip I misplaced my watch, so I bought another one! I am hoping that because I bought another one, my old one will now magically appear in a place I looked a dozen times.

I'm very happy with the Polar M430, it seems fairly accurate and the Flow app is easy to use and navigate. The screen is big and easy to read, and to set up with whatever data you want to see, up to 4 data displays. And you can switch back and forth between several screens that you set up on the fly. My main screen show total time, current pace, average pace, and total mileage. I have another screen for doing repeats, and it shows current lap, previous lap, current pace, and total mileage. And ANOTHER screen that just shows HR and current pace. There are over a dozen data points you can select from.

I have not used the Garmin watches, so I can't really compare.

Also, on I bought my watch on ebay from clevertraining, for $200 AND they had a 20% off code, so $180, free shipping, no tax in CA. You might be able to get the same deal directly from their website. They have all 5 colors.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Thanks for the tip. So to change data screens while you're running do you just press a button or does it auto scroll through screens like the FR410 does?

I only know the Polar watches.

You press a button to scroll through screens, but there MAY be an auto scroll setting I am not aware of.

You create your preferred screens with your watch connected to your computer or via Bluetooth to your phone (Polar Flow App). I know you can make at least 4 for each sport (running, cycling, swimming, etc). When using the watch in GPS mode, you can scroll between those different screens to view the different data sets; while the watch is running. The up/down buttons are about at the 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions. You can use just one to continue to go up/down until you're back where you started; you don't need to push "up" to get back to the first screen.

I couldn't find the deal on Clever training but on the Polar site the M430 is reduced to 199 with free shipping. I am cool without the auto scrolling I just need 2 screens with 2 data fields on each screen. Just push button once and it toggles between to screens? Does it pop up every mile for data for past mile?

All I want to see on one screen is Avg Pace and HR and then on the other Total Stop watch time and Total distance. I think with the big screens it's quite easy seeing 2 data fields on a screen?

I couldn't find the deal on Clever training but on the Polar site the M430 is reduced to 199 with free shipping. I am cool without the auto scrolling I just need 2 screens with 2 data fields on each screen. Just push button once and it toggles between to screens? Does it pop up every mile for data for past mile?

All I want to see on one screen is Avg Pace and HR and then on the other Total Stop watch time and Total distance. I think with the big screens it's quite easy seeing 2 data fields on a screen?

Yes, just push the button to go between screens. You can set your automatic laps to whatever distance you want, mile or metric, and they pop up to show you the stats at the end of lap and last 5-10 seconds. You can probably turn that off, too. And there are audible and vibration alerts, which can be turned off.

I kind of wanted bluetooth music player capability, I think the M600 has that along with Android Wear compatible software, but I don't think it's as good of a RUNNING watch.

On ebay, when I bought the watch, the discount code info didn't show up until I clicked to buy it, I think. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polar-M430-GPS-Watch-With-Optical-HR-Green-Medium-Large/232720879215?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

correction: 10% off; $20 off. Not 20% off.

Other codes they sent on the invoice were THANKYOU10 for 10% off, and THANKYOU40 for $10 off on $40 or more purchase.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have the Garmin 235 and it’s been great and would definitely recommend it.

Kennedy, the HRM is not an invalid gimmick, try tightening the strap.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SMART Approach

I have the 235 and the 35. I agree with Mikky, early on I had some issues with HR but when tightening strap it has been fine. The 35 is a bit lighter and does everything you need also. I only purchased it because I lost my 235 for 3 months. I am back using the 235.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dhuffman63

Trails

If you need or want charge on the go and a longish battery life the 235 is good for that.  I'm slow and 50ks can take 10 hours so I needed a long battery life and/or charge on the go.

Marky_Mark_17

I used an FR235 for 2 years and loved it.  I can't compare it with the others, having not had any experience with them, but I found to be an excellent watch.  Fast GPS lock-on and the wrist-based HRM was reliable (within 1-2 bpm of a chest strap reading).  I did have to tweak the sampling rate on the HRM as it could be a bit laggy on hills, but that's a very easy setting to change.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"