Just when I thought I was starting to HTFU. (Read 734 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

So last year, one of my co-workers talked me into training for a 2 mile race that they have locally here around St. Patricks day. I didn't train too hard, but came in at 16:24 - not bad for a then 200+lb couch potato. However, I was the butt of the office for a while because of my finishing picture. Not so much because I looked spent (I did) but because there was a 12 year old girl right behind me (she looked like she was out for a friendly jog). Fast forward a year and I ran farther than I ever have before on Saturday, well except for that one 10k I ran in high school that I didn't train for. That being many years ago, I thought I was hot $%!# and starting to HTFU. (I did my run on the treadmill) Then as I'm driving out of the neighborhood on that rainy Saturday, I pass by the same girl that I beat by 2 seconds last year. She's out running in the rain! I still have a lot to learn.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Oh Mighty Wing

I think HTFU is in the eyes of the beholder... I run in everything but sleet and lightening and for me it's no big thing... however, running any amount of miles on the dreadmill is a nightmare! I can't even walk on the dreadmill without thinking evil thoughts! And your HTFU moments will change as your running changes. Some days I HTFU and make it out the door other times I HTFU and pick myself up after I land on my hip going over an icy bridge... Morale of my story: don't discount yourself because someone else in a very different position in life is doing it differently... aim for it sure or modify your actions to mirror theirs, but don't think that you aren't doing great because you aren't doing it their way!! Because you are!!

Think Whirled Peas

I completely agree w/ShanHas. Running on the treadmill is WAY more challenging than running outside in the elements. I commend people who can bust out a bunch of miles on one, 'cause I sure can't do it. Running is running is running. It doesn't matter how, when, where or even why you do it. The point is, you're doing it and that fact doesn't change. NICE JOB and STICK WITH IT!!!! And tell all the folks that made fun of you that it is pretty funny to barely beat a ten year old in a race. But it's just SAD to not be willing to try b/c they're too afraid/out of shape! Cool

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Mr R

Right on. It'd definitely all relative. Things that used to seem hardcore to me don't seem difficult at all anymore (e.g. climbing a fence to do track workouts at 5am). However, there's always something that you're not comfortable with that you have to dig deep to do. What I have the biggest difficulty doing is cross-training. I'm really impressed by some guys I know who spent 2 hours/day on the bike when they got injured. They were bored out of their minds, but it was what they had to do to be competitive when they returned.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Then as I'm driving out of the neighborhood on that rainy Saturday, I pass by the same girl that I beat by 2 seconds last year. She's out running in the rain!
            Reminds me of the time a couple years ago I saw a picture in the newspaper of the pack at the starting line for the district girls high school XC chanpionship. Right away I said to myself "She's going to win", looking at one of the gals in the front. Why? Well, she did look more "lean and mean", but the giveaway was that she was the only one wearing gloves. I could just picture it... while all those other girls were sleeping in, comfortable in their beds, this one was out running in the cold at 5 AM, wearing her gloves to keep the fingers from freezing. She was the only one who had hardened up for this. BTW, I checked it out... she DID win the district championship.. and still had 2 more years of high school.

Marathonmanleto

I ran Boston one year when our kids were young. Trained on the treadmill for all weekend long runs just in case I was needed to help with them. I have fond memories of running 16 milers on the damn thing. btw--it died not long after my training ended. It seems that I wore out a gear on the incline mechanism. The teeth were just worn away.

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks all, you made me feel better about it!

http://xkcd.com/621/