Knee problems at 16 plz reply (Read 103 times)

Lamar

I am 16 years old and I have been running for 1 and a half years now. My freshman year I only had one incident with my knee which was after a ran a downhill mile and my left knee swelled up so bad that I couldn’t bend it anymore. Then there was a huge gap up until my sophomore year during track season(2 months ago) when my knee swelled up after a practice. 3 days later after the swelling was gone I went a little run and it swelled up again. So I decided to take a week off . I was good for 2 months until last week when surprisingly my right knee this time swelled up till the point I couldn’t bend it . So I took 3 days off and after I ran  and I felt pretty good. I ran good for 4 more days. But then just yesterday I was going to run a usual 3.5 miles but I stopped early due to a weird pain in my left knee. It was slightly hurting to bend it  all evening after the run and now today it’s swollen and I can’t bend it. Can anyone help explaining what’s going on because it sucks being injured constantly especially when you’re varsity on the team .

I think if you can identify the location on the knee (medial, lateral, front, back) where the pain is located it may help others give their experience about similar injuries.

The fact that both knees have "swollen to the point you couldn't bend them" means something serious is happening. Also that they aren't both doing it at the same time is puzzling.

Without knowing more, I'd have to guess that you might be hyperextending your knees (bending them backwards). This can be prevented by paying attention to your gait, and trying to keep your legs from completely straightening while running; just an ever so slight bend in the knee, not even visible from the side. A hard heel-strike and over-reaching stride can cause knee hyperextension. Landing on the middle of your foot directly underneath your body instead of your heel in front of your body would take care of that. I tell people "stride BACK, not out" as a way to prevent over-striding. You don't want your foot to land in front of your center of gravity/force momentum; it acts as a brake, like a pole vault pole, if you do. Every stride.

https://www.sports-health.com/sports-injuries/knee-injuries/understanding-knee-hyperextension

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

keeponrunning

Do you live somewhere you could access a sports medicine doctor?  I had a bad knee injury at 17 that ruined my gr. 12 track season and my chance at a scholarship so I would suggest getting it looked at sooner rather than later.  It may be a simple muscle imbalance that physio could fix but a regular doctor might miss.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Talk to your coach if you have one and see a sports doctor.

Do not diagnose yourself with Dr Google. If it is swelling that bad, you need a proper diagnosis.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Talk to your coach if you have one and see a sports doctor.

Do not diagnose yourself with Dr Google. If it is swelling that bad, you need a proper diagnosis.

exactly.

I should have said the same thing before giving my best-guess.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Bill, I thought your reply was pretty good if this was an adult.

I think in high school, no self diagnosis when it's progressed to that level of swelling. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I got the same problem and still searching for solution. Now I try to warm up more carefully before run.

TOP 10 CHẠY BỘ (top10chaybo.com) là blog thông tin hữu ích dành cho người chơi Marathon tại Việt Nam.

Lamar

I think if you can identify the location on the knee (medial, lateral, front, back) where the pain is located it may help others give their experience about similar injuries.

The fact that both knees have "swollen to the point you couldn't bend them" means something serious is happening. Also that they aren't both doing it at the same time is puzzling.

Without knowing more, I'd have to guess that you might be hyperextending your knees (bending them backwards). This can be prevented by paying attention to your gait, and trying to keep your legs from completely straightening while running; just an ever so slight bend in the knee, not even visible from the side. A hard heel-strike and over-reaching stride can cause knee hyperextension. Landing on the middle of your foot directly underneath your body instead of your heel in front of your body would take care of that. I tell people "stride BACK, not out" as a way to prevent over-striding. You don't want your foot to land in front of your center of gravity/force momentum; it acts as a brake, like a pole vault pole, if you do. Every stride.

https://www.sports-health.com/sports-injuries/knee-injuries/understanding-knee-hyperextensionf

I decided to take a week off of running and isolate myself from activity. Today was my first day back and I started with 2.5 miles at a really slow pace. It felt uncomfortable I guess since I stopped running for a week. Soon after my left knee was feeling weird but I had no pain. Then in the afternoon it would crack (like cracking knuckles) and some pain. And now I feel some pain when I stand around the top of the knee. I think it’s the tendon that connects the knee cap and the patella. I have no other idea on what it is. I’m going to make an appointment with a doctor but in the mean time do you have any ideas on what it is ?

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like it is healed yet!  Because it seemed to be getting better with rest, I would say that is a good sign, though.

Cracking can be nothing or could indicate tearing or other damage soooo...Continue to be conservative - resting, icing, until you can get to the doctor and get it sorted out.  Patience, grasshopper.  You'll be back on the roads in no time.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

My best-guess is still knee hyperextension because of running form.

It could be any number of things. A SPORTS MEDICINE doctor, not a regular doctor, should be able to diagnose or refer to someone who can help.

we're not doctors, but we've seen a lot. Maybe make a short video of you running at the camera and from the side and we'll see something suspicious to tell the doctor about.

video tips:  not from 50 meters away! Fill the frame and don't move the camera if possible, and include at least 5-6 strides in the video. If the camera is being held by someone or panning to follow you, it may not reveal small details of the running motion. Just upload to youtube and provide a link here, that's the easy way.

Lamar

Alright guys Soo after a couple of runs and trips to some imaging offices i was diagnosed with discoid lateral meniscus. Any tips on how to deal with it ? I’ve been running for 2 years with no problems and it’s been around 2 weeks since my knee last swelled up so it must not be that bad

Alright guys Soo after a couple of runs and trips to some imaging offices i was diagnosed with discoid lateral meniscus. Any tips on how to deal with it ? I’ve been running for 2 years with no problems and it’s been around 2 weeks since my knee last swelled up so it must not be that bad

Surgery.

Hold off until you can "afford" 2-3 months without running.

I went 0-60 really fast there. You'll probably want to try non-invasive methods first, but if it becomes a continuing problem, get the surgery and be done with it. You might be lucky and this recent flare up will be the only one. I'm sure the doctor gave you a whole list of PT and strengthening exercises, DO NOT blow them off or quit early because "now it feels fine". Go through the entire series of exercises for the entire length or prescribed time.

SMART Approach

I see no indication for surgery. Your lateral meniscus is a bit thicker than normal. Many have this without symptoms. Maybe you just have a flare up. It should calm down. Focus on alot of hip/glute strength and quad hammy strength. So important. When you come back be smart with your progression. Get yourself better. Walk amd move often.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

xerosaburu

https://www.sports-health.com/sports-injuries/knee-injuries/understanding-knee-hyperextension

100% agree. I found Hoka's were encouraging me to land hard on my heel. I played w/diff shoes and train/race in Nike Zoom Fly 3's. The carbon plate and design makes me land more on the balls of my feet.

When I first started running, I was in the same situation as you. Later I was advised by my doctor that I need to warm up, before long runs

I love 75marathons. #75marathons.

Address: 75/4A Phan Tay Ho, Ward 7, Phu Thuan District, City. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam