ITB 'popping' over right outside knee when climbing stairs- no pain- concern? (Read 65 times)

mk885

Hi

ITB 'popping' over right outside knee when climbing stairs- no pain- concern?

When going up stairs or raising my knee up, my itb on right knee pops over the bone- it does not hurt but I am concerned that this might cause an issue

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

snake84

Voodoo floss the hell out if it and see if it's better. Catch it now before you start to get pain.

joescott

Agree.  I think I would try to loosen it up by using a foam roller on the outside of the thigh.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kilkee

runktrun

Generally no pain = no worry, BUT be mindful of your gait for any compensation because of it, and any insidious pain that creeps in without you realizing until it feel horrible.  My gracilis and/or semitendinous tendon(s) have been snapping over my medial knee since 2008 with hip flexion + knee extension.  Sometimes it feels annoying, most of the time I don't notice it, but it can be tender when I massage it.  The IT band is more of a sheath of fascia than a defined band, so it may not actually be that bit of anatomy that is popping, but something nearby, irritated by mild inflammation that you may not notice.  But either way, take precautions now.  Rolling you quads, TFL, and hammies might help, as might glute strengthening exercises (med & min, to prevent knee valugs).

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

snake84

Agree.  I think I would try to loosen it up by using a foam roller on the outside of the thigh.

That too! I do it as I bite down on a wooden stick and with tears in my eyes. Yeah I heard enough people say if it hurts, you're doing it wrong. BS!

TheLoneMarmot

I have found an effective technique is to stretch the entire length of the body on the effected side (although both sides may benefit).

I lie on my side on a fitball or ottoman with legs and upper arm extended, top leg extended to the floor behind. You can really feel the stretch from the lats through the buttocks and hips and down the side of the leg. I have read that one cannot actually stretch the IT band and what is key is to stretch the tissues at either end, which this does.

Anyway, five minutes of this per day works for me. I hope it helps you too.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I just want to record my general hatred of itb.  Thats all

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

snake84

I have found an effective technique is to stretch the entire length of the body on the effected side (although both sides may benefit).

I lie on my side on a fitball or ottoman with legs and upper arm extended, top leg extended to the floor behind. You can really feel the stretch from the lats through the buttocks and hips and down the side of the leg. I have read that one cannot actually stretch the IT band and what is key is to stretch the tissues at either end, which this does.

Anyway, five minutes of this per day works for me. I hope it helps you too.

Yeah, the ITB is a thick fibrous tissue that doesn't respond to stretching as a muscle would. The voodoo bands and foam rolling is intended to break up the adhesions. No science on this but I feel it also has some type of a releasing effect on the nerves which is why the pain and tightness goes away right after you're done.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Ive gotten my yearly spring itb in last couple weeks after getting into the middle of Pfitz 12/55 (modified) and doing a 25k race.  I finally gave in and cut back to fewer miles run days alternating with walking. All on treadmill.  all easy pace.  No workouts.  Also took extra days off.  LR today itb was fine. Also was easier to run faster pace so i think that is working. Also did my first week of strength training core and hip. ( i used to be religious about it but last year i stopped and didnt really get more injured despite higher mileage).    For hip i use Myrtl routine w some additions from others.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block