WWYD if this were your friend? (Read 188 times)

Pineapple Runner

I have a friend who is planning on a running a marathon next weekend on very little training.  She has only done one race recently and that was a half marathon last year in around 2:15 (also on very little training).  I am pretty sure she hasn't run anything over one 10-miler during all of her marathon training and that was almost two months ago.  Since then she has done a few 7-milers and maybe a shorter run here and there.  She is also planning to run a downhill half marathon this weekend (which will be her longest training run).  She seems confident in her ability because she was able to complete her half marathon last year on minimal training.  Some of her friends and family keep telling her she will be fine because she has natural talent but I think this has actually held her back from feeling the need to train.  I have tried to stay somewhat neutral when we talk about it but as it gets closer I am tempted to be honest with her.  She could get injured or have a horrible experience.  She says she has aspirations to BQ one day and I don't see how running a marathon on really poor training right now helps her towards that goal.

So does a good friend just let her do her thing or does a good friend try to be a voice of reason?  And this isn't a competitive thing between us.  I run lots of marathons and am shooting for a time almost 90 minutes faster than her at the same race.       

Marylander

Let her do her thing. I don't see any harm in it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't say a word!  If she can't do it, she'll just drop out and know she has to do more next time.

Yeah leave her to it. One way or another she will learn alot for next time.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

She could get injured or have a horrible experience.  

Even runners that have trained extensively run into those issues.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Pineapple Runner

Even runners that have trained extensively run into those issues.

Ha, that is a good point!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

She probably isn't going to be responsive to hearing you on this.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Seattle prattle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervention_(counseling)

I;m only kidding. Like the other guys said.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Agreed with everyone else. No matter the distance or training, whenever something is set in someone’s head, they’re going to do their own thing. She will learn from it to train better or move onto an ultra untrained....

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

PS just because you don't run long regularly... doesn't mean you still can be running decent weekly mileage...

You're 90 mins faster than her?

Trying to calculate that... she runs 5hrs...you run 3:30?

300m- 37 sec.

Pineapple Runner

PS just because you don't run long regularly... doesn't mean you still can be running decent weekly mileage...

You're 90 mins faster than her?

Trying to calculate that... she runs 5hrs...you run 3:30?

I would agree, except based off what she has told me, she isn't running decent weekly mileage either.  I think most weeks she is running once or twice for a total of maybe 7-10 miles.  I decided that I am not going to say anything though and just wish her the best!

And yes, I am going for 3:30 (which is a slower than my PR and hopefully a realistic goal) and I think she is planning to pace herself for around 5 hours.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A lot of people complete the marathon distance on minimal/zero training....which is probably why the cut off times are always 6 hours or more. Adrenaline kicks in during a marathon and I have no doubt that your friend will finish. It will be a learning experience for her....maybe she’ll think never again, or maybe the distance will humble her and then want to train properly for a BQ.  Never preach!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Prince of Fatness

Some of life’s best lessons are learned the hard way.

Not at it at all. 

Brilliant

I'm glad you decided not to say anything.  I doubt she'd take any advice, and it would possibly harm your friendship.

I'm more worried about running the downhill half a week before the marathon than her marathon attempt itself.  I've run 3 downhill half marathons and 3 marathons, and without a doubt, the recovery period for those downhills was far worse than any full marathon I've run.  So she may decide on her own to skip the marathon. 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

This close to the race, you don't want to do anything that might plant a seed of doubt and endanger her confidence.  You mean well, but giving her cause to question herself now could cause more harm than good.  Somebody did that to me once...

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27