running while sick (Read 117 times)

jsimms435

I was told by the doctor yesterday that I have bronchitis.  I'm very congested, have body ache and coughing.  I don't have a fever.  I haven't run since Sunday and started getting sick Monday.  Now it is Friday and still feeling like crap and don't know when that will change.  I'm on several medications now.  I'm just wondering if I should even try to run or if it would do more harm than good at this point.  If I can run and not go into a coughing fit.  Honestly, it sounds like I've been a smoker for 30 years when I've never been a smoker

an amazing likeness

Just give it a try. If it is uncomfortable, stop and walk home.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Ha ha, I am sitting here nursing a cold, about to go out and run.

But seriously, my rule of thumb is if it's above the neck I can run.  Otherwise (stomach, lungs), no running.  Also fever, no running.

My cold right now is all in my sinuses, and my experience is that running does not make a head cold any worse.  If anything, being out in the fresh air offers temporary relief.  In your case given the congestion in your lungs I would not run.

Not at it at all. 

I was told by the doctor yesterday that I have bronchitis.  I'm very congested, have body ache and coughing.  I don't have a fever.  I haven't run since Sunday and started getting sick Monday.  Now it is Friday and still feeling like crap and don't know when that will change.  I'm on several medications now.  I'm just wondering if I should even try to run or if it would do more harm than good at this point.  If I can run and not go into a coughing fit.  Honestly, it sounds like I've been a smoker for 30 years when I've never been a smoker

Eh, my advice is to not run when you have bronchitis.  Sorry to be a Debby Downer but every time I have run with some sort of chest cold/ailment it has led to something worse (pneumonia) or just in general a lengthening of the ailment.    Get better!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just give it a try. If it is uncomfortable, stop and walk home.

+1

When I have done this, it usually has done more good than harm.

John Wood

General rule of thumb for congestion is head run chest stop, or something like that. But I’m an idiot. So I always run anyway, and for some reason, for me, running easy helps to clear me out for a while. And like milk truck said, you can always walk home.

jsimms435

+1

When I have done this, it usually has done more good than harm.

Yes, that's what I am worried about.  i didn't take any days off from work this last week and yet it was about three days before I started feeling better.  It has now been 7 days since this cold thing started and I haven't run yet.  I may try today since the weather is a lot nicer today

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, that's what I am worried about.  i didn't take any days off from work this last week and yet it was about three days before I started feeling better.  It has now been 7 days since this cold thing started and I haven't run yet.  I may try today since the weather is a lot nicer today

Yeah, if you feel worse during and after a short run, it's probably too soon, but it is possible that you will feel better.  Hope you recover soon!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Likely do more harm than good and likely recover quicker by letting the lungs rest. If you "need" to exercise, perhaps now would be a good time to work on flexibility, core strength, running drills, or other strength training that can aid your running once back to full health.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Gizmo2019

I just got over some sort of upper respiratory infection. Was in Zithromax. I felt awful for 2 weeks. One morning I almost fainted. I think my electrolytes were off balance. Last time I ran was a Monday. It’s been 2 weeks. I went for a short hike on hills and had to stop to breathe. I could barely do things at home so I ve been trying to sleep and recover. Your body will take longer if you add additional stress but it depends on what stage of recovery you’re in, your age, etc. As it is, I should only do a flat walk today but I’m going to try a jog instead only bc I’ve been ok w chores around the house up and down the stairs. I guess try it out but w bronchitis and antibiotics , I was OUT.

But think of it this way: at least you don’t have a foot injury and are in a boot for 6-8 weeks!