Zwift, anyone? (Read 224 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I think you’re faster than I am - up hills, for certain! I believe with group rides that there’s some sort of “rubber-banding” feature that keeps everyone with the group leader.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ha!  I doubt it.  I just rode outside today -- 22 miles at 12.7mph, which is pretty standard for me.  I mean, yes, I do most of my riding on a steel touring bike with platform pedals, but I'm not sure I'd be much faster on a different bike.

Cool.  As long as I don't slow down anyone else in a group ride, I'm in.

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm officially a Zwift cyclist AND a Zwift runner. Just got the treadmill and run app calibrated and logged 5.5 miles, in the process. I'm pretty certain this has ruined me for ever running in any sort of inclement weather, ever again! Tongue

On the bright side, it should be a LOT easier to run higher miles all Winter. It's definitely had that effect on my rides. Most Winters I was lucky to log 50 miles/week and it was utter drudgery. Now 50-70 is no big deal and I look forward to my basement workouts.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm officially a Zwift cyclist AND a Zwift runner. Just got the treadmill and run app calibrated and logged 5.5 miles, in the process. I'm pretty certain this has ruined me for ever running in any sort of inclement weather, ever again! Tongue

On the bright side, it should be a LOT easier to run higher miles all Winter. It's definitely had that effect on my rides. Most Winters I was lucky to log 50 miles/week and it was utter drudgery. Now 50-70 is no big deal and I look forward to my basement workouts.

have they started charging for zwift running yet? i was using it back in december but i stopped at the beginning of january because i went on a half marathon training plan. for me it was a great tool to use when i am not in a training block. i also just picked up an indoor trainer for my bike so i would be interested in a zwift bike/ run bundle if the price was right.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

have they started charging for zwift running yet? i was using it back in december but i stopped at the beginning of january because i went on a half marathon training plan. for me it was a great tool to use when i am not in a training block. i also just picked up an indoor trainer for my bike so i would be interested in a zwift bike/ run bundle if the price was right.

Still in free beta testing. I wonder how they are going to handle that, once it's in full release. I suspect they may let existing cycling subscription folks keep the run version for free, or for a discounted price. DH was in the public beta of the bike program and when they did start charging, they only charged $10 for about a year, even after the price had jumped to $15.

We wish they'd do some sort of family membership. Our son really wants to do it, but $45/month for our family to all be able to use it -- on top of the equipment needed -- is kind of steep. Something like buy 2, get one 50% off would be about perfect.

~ Sarah Kay

if i were to keep it i would probably invest in one of their footpods, i have a smart treadmill that i am connecting to zwift with and i run with a garmin footpod and a garmin forerunner 935 watch. my numbers don't match up between the tm and the garmin, based on my hr and cadence i think my treadmill numbers are not accurate. i would also have to invest in some bluetooth devices for my bike to connect to zwift i think, i am using garmin speed and cadence sensors and a garmin edge 520 plus and a dumb trainer. i wish there was a standard, either bluetooth or ant+, it would make things so much easier for a dummy like myself.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My MIL bought us 2 Wahoo KICKR smart trainers for Christmas...it's astounding how much those make the experience immersive. I think the climb doohickey would be super cool, but totally not worth the $$.

I have a dumb treadmill and had to manually calibrate Zwift (and then trick it a bit to get #s to match what my TM was showing by calibrating it off by -.2mph). My trainer seems pretty spot-on for speed (it's within something like .02 mile of my Garmin and Apple Watch based upon accelerometer).

I think the only way I'd be tempted to invest in a smart treadmill would be if it had both incline and decline. I don't think any of the models compatible with Zwift do...yet. If that changes, then I'll have a big Christmas/birthday wish list!

~ Sarah Kay

yeah when i bought my treadmill i didn't know about zwift running and at the time i didn't see the benefit of having a tm with decline, i didn't buy it because of the bluetooth capabilities, i got it because it had a large deck and a large motor, the bt capabilities was just an extra benefit. a friend of mind got a nordictrac shortly after i got mine and that's when i learned the benefits of having decline, but like you said he can't connect to zwift through his tm and i can. way too many decisions to be made.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm hoping that in a few years they will come down in price, in addition to having decline.

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think the climb doohickey would be super cool, but totally not worth the $$.

Right??  It's basically the cost of another trainer!  I would take some sort of rocker plate over the climb though.  Anything to make the trainer less rigid.

I guess I'm not as impressed with Zwift as others are.  I mean, yeah, it helps, but I still find my trainer rides pretty dreadful.  I can't go for more than about 20 minutes before I need to get off and do weights or go up and down the stairs for a few minutes and have a break.  I don't know how everyone else does it.  On the other side, I can go on the treadmill for a long time with nothing other than music and be perfectly happy.  I guess this is why I ran ultras when I could. I am still not a cyclist despite how much time I spend on the bike.  It's mostly because I can't run much anymore.

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Right??  It's basically the cost of another trainer!  I would take some sort of rocker plate over the climb though.  Anything to make the trainer less rigid.

I guess I'm not as impressed with Zwift as others are.  I mean, yeah, it helps, but I still find my trainer rides pretty dreadful.  I can't go for more than about 20 minutes before I need to get off and do weights or go up and down the stairs for a few minutes and have a break.  I don't know how everyone else does it.  On the other side, I can go on the treadmill for a long time with nothing other than music and be perfectly happy.  I guess this is why I ran ultras when I could. I am still not a cyclist despite how much time I spend on the bike.  It's mostly because I can't run much anymore.

Heh, and I'm contemplating a Zwift metric century, maybe next month or so.

To help with the trainer rigidity we put those puzzle-pieced squares of that sort of dense foam gym mat flooring stuff under our trainers. It really helps a lot.

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Heh, and I'm contemplating a Zwift metric century, maybe next month or so.

You people are nuts!  LOL.  20 miles is a challenge for me.

Yeah, I already have a bunch of foam/dampening stuff under the Wahoo.  (I live in a second floor apartment; trying not to be an asshole neighbor!)

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got Zwift set up to work with my treadmill just in time. At this rate it will be weeks before there are any places runnable that don't require playing chicken with cars.

~ Sarah Kay

that's the kind of post that makes me feel dumb, 45* here and i have been complaining all day about being cold. enjoy that zwift treadmill run!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Someday I hope to live where 45 is cold. The desert SW looks like perfection.

~ Sarah Kay