Children doing couch to 5k? (Read 880 times)

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I would say if your 5 year old loves to run, than a 5k is doable.  Mine will be running some 5ks this year, but we MADE him wait...he has wanted to do them for a few years.  But I wouldn't let him do a c25k program.  Simply b/c that is running 3 days a week, and I think that would be too much for him and he would most likely burn out.  I think 3 days a week at one activity for 9 weeks is a bit much for a 5 year old.

some call me Tim

I'd say you know her better than we ever could. So long as she's having fun.. and I think an attentive parent can tell the difference between genuine enjoyment and things done out of a desire to please you. My 5 year old is *very* focused on running, but likes short distances so we keep it light and fast. She does time trials down our long driveway (also helps her with telling time).

All this to say I think the best person to make any plan at this point is you. You know what she'll have fun with, what'll make her happy, and you are the best person to give them both a magical experience.

I have no problem with healthy, active kids running a 5k as long as they want to but the concept of having them follow C25K doesn't sit well with me.

I look at couch-to-5k as a problem solving program for sedentary adults to get them moving. IMO if a healthy adult cannot presently jog 3 miles under their own power then that's a pretty big sign that they've let themselves go and are in need of something, anything, that will get them off the couch (thus the name) and moving. Healthy, active kids shouldn't have to worry about such things, and if a kid is an out-of-shape couch potato then there are probably more fun ways to get them moving (like soccer or sledding or storm the castle) that feel less like work.

I don't think kids younger than middle school should "train" for races. And even at middle school age, "training" should look a lot like play. My 2 cents.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Apologies in advance, this doesn't speak directly to the original question, but I just wanted to share:

Part of the Little Rock Marathon festivities is something cleverly called "Little Rockers," a one-mile fun run for the kids.  It's unclear to me if this is something the organizers are doing along with that or if it's a separate group, but our niece is on a program where, in the months leading up to race day, she goes on a series of one-mile runs.  Twenty-five of them, to be exact.  And then, after they participate in the Little Rockers race - boom.  Congrats, kid, you ran a marathon (I guess they either tag 0.2 onto the race or just round down)!

I thought that was neat.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

A Saucy Wench

I have no problem with healthy, active kids running a 5k as long as they want to but the concept of having them follow C25K doesn't sit well with me.

I look at couch-to-5k as a problem solving program for sedentary adults to get them moving. IMO if a healthy adult cannot presently jog 3 miles under their own power then that's a pretty big sign that they've let themselves go and are in need of something, anything, that will get them off the couch (thus the name) and moving. Healthy, active kids shouldn't have to worry about such things, and if a kid is an out-of-shape couch potato then there are probably more fun ways to get them moving (like soccer or sledding or storm the castle) that feel less like work.

I don't think kids younger than middle school should "train" for races. And even at middle school age, "training" should look a lot like play. My 2 cents.

+1  I like the run when you want, walk when you want over the structure

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

About the only aspect of C25k I carried over when "training" my 11 year old for his first 2 5ks was teaching him that the run portion is not to be sprinted.  He balked at the idea of running 5k races for years, because he had it in his head that he was to run the entire thing at 11.  We spent about 2 months going from 1.5-3 miles, gradually increasing the amount we ran and decreasing the walk segments.  He liked to eyeball an object and say "let's walk when we get to ____ and start running again when we get to____."  Eventually he could comfortably run for at least 2 miles without stopping (and with far better form than when he started...less foot slapping) and now really wants to start running trails come Spring.

His races have not been noticeably faster than his training workouts.  He's still not hip to the concept of pushing beyond his comfort level...which is fine.  If he decides he wants to race in HS (his k-8 school has no running programs, aside from GOTR) he'll catch on.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MrH

In my experience, younger kids love to race, but until they reach middle school, most really don't want to train, nor should they. Pleasing a parent or the expectation of winning a prize are not good reasons to enter a training program.

If they chase a ball around in the yard for an hour or two they will be in better shape than 95% of adults in a 5k.

IMO, find an all-comers track meet and let them try 100m up. A few will like the idea of running further ... a couple of laps or even a whole mile. Try some field events, jumping and throwing.

Or stick to the one mile fun run at the local road races and let them race that.

Even if you think it's a good idea, I would definitely ask the running store about joining a C25k program. The other adults may not appreciate having a young kid there. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

In my experience, younger kids love to race, but until they reach middle school, most really don't want to train, nor should they. Pleasing a parent or the expectation of winning a prize are not good reasons to enter a training program.

If they chase a ball around in the yard for an hour or two they will be in better shape than 95% of adults in a 5k.

IMO, find an all-comers track meet and let them try 100m up. A few will like the idea of running further ... a couple of laps or even a whole mile. Try some field events, jumping and throwing.

Or stick to the one mile fun run at the local road races and let them race that.

Even if you think it's a good idea, I would definitely ask the running store about joining a C25k program. The other adults may not appreciate having a young kid there. Smile

I definitely agree with that. Afterall there is the social aspect to it. Reminds me of when I played tennis. The club had a houseleague so I joined. I soon found out it was open to anybody. Sort of felt silly being 45 and calling this 14 year old girl to setup a game. I didn't care if she was a good player, I just didn't like it.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius