Allow suppression of "No elevation message" (Read 530 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is a useful message:

"There is no elevation data for this region. Elevation profile will be disabled for this map."

but it isn't as useful to see it again, when I open that map again. It would be nifty if there were a way to check "Don't show me again for this map."

(OTOH, I've just discovered this issue, so odds are that I'll hardly ever encounter this, so it's just a vague suggestion.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

eric :)

There are holes in the elevation coverage.  There's an area near Toronto where the high res data ends abruptly within a tile so the elevation code erroneously thinks it was bad data instead of missing data, and didn't fall back to the low res data.  I need to obtain the latest elevation data from USGS but it involves sending them a portable 2 TB drive, and then I have to go to the data center and upload the data to the elevation server.  Hrm... how much disk space do I have available on the server...  Anyway, it's the prospect of trekking to the data center that I am not looking forward to, but I suppose I should get going with obtaining the data first.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My suggestion was just because the message box is slightly annoying after the first time. Actually, if the message were presented in the web page, instead of a popup, that would be great too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I know, but getting the updated elevation data would be a better fix ;-)

How accurate are those elevation data anyway? I have come across several places here in Denmark where they are totally off, and they are often caused by nearby buildings being calculated into the height.

Here is an example of a stretch that is flat as a pancake, but right at the turn, there is a large gas tower, which obviously disturbs the data:

The height difference is 28 meters over a span of 50 meters, which is an incline of 56%. I think I would have noticed if that were actually true. Shocked

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's also interesting when going over a bridge, which can be shown as falling into a canyon and climbing out again. I just smile, but if an accurate chart is important to you, maybe some way of smoothing the data over invalid parts would be nice.

Frank,

RA has two sets of elevation data.  One is provided by USGS, which is high resolution but only for the US.  The other is provided by NASA (SRTM3) and is done using a radar mounted on the Space Shuttle as it circled the earth.  The SRTM3 data can only provide an approximate elevation profile because it cannot penetrate tree tops so it can be off by 10 or 20 meters.  Since you're in Denmark, the SRTM3 data is being used.  The 28 meters gain is most likely the white cylindrical building in the map.

I would love to have more accurate elevation data.  If anyone knows of any free elevation data for Europe, please let me know.

LedLincoln,

I'm not sure if it is possible.  Unless there's a "hole" in the data, the data is valid.  The elevation data describes the surface of the earth.  The bridge is not on the surface and is excluded.  The software would not know you crossed a bridge and so there's no way (at least right now) to correct it.  As we get better at describe our world, I'm sure this will change.  Until then, you should avoid bridges ;-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No, I was thinking of a manual point to point elevation smoothing.  Why it would be worth any work on your part, or on the part of the users, I don't really know. Confused