Training Plan for a Half Marathon Series (Read 92 times)

I am considering running a local half marathon series this spring: 3 half marathons in five weeks. The first 2 races are on back-to-back weekends, and the 3rd race is 3 weeks after the 2nd race. So April 11, April 18 & May 9.

I am confident I can train adequately for a half marathon, but I would like to add the challenge of the additional races. My issue is how to train. Do I use a typical half marathon program and just wing it for the 2nd & 3rd races? Should I use a marathon training program so the back-to-back races aren't such a shock to the system?

This is a new one for me, so any experience you folks have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hog4life

Here's a couple of things from my perspective. But a couple of questions first that will help see your situation better. How many miles per week are you currently running? How important is it to "race" all three? What is your current long run up to?

IMO, I would "train" to race the first one. But between now and then, get your weekly long runs into the 11-16 mile range every weekend.

FSBD

If your training log is accurate then you need to bump up your mileage a lot. You want to be able to race the first one without being sore for a week and more miles will help with that.

In between the back to back races I would do just a few easy recovery runs then the day before the second one do a run with some strides.

In between race two and three I would do a couple recovery days then my normal volume until a few days before the race then a few easy days then race.

But the key is having enough volume so that your body can recover quickly.

Running three half marathons in a month is not a huge undertaking but the key is going to be putting yourself in a position to recover easily and more mileage will help make that possible.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Half Fanatic #846

I've done 4 HMs on consecutive weekends on 25-30 mpw mileage.  Between each one I just went for 1 or 2 easy runs and a few walks.  I didn't "race" them, so they were really more like training runs. More weekly miles in the months before would've helped.

In the time between now and then, maybe spend the first half of that time building a base and your long run, and the second part adding HM training. The main thing is probably to get enough rest between each HM and not be tempted to "train" much during that time. FSBD's advice sounds good if your body can handle it; in my case (much older) my body clearly told me to take it easy...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Thanks for the advice. I certainly need to get back on the horse and get going again. My long run right now is about 6 miles, but life has really kicked me in the ass lately.

I have no intention of "racing" any of these races. I'm not fast and I don't plan to set any PRs. This is more about the challenge of getting it done as opposed to going for speed. So I will focus on upping my weekly mileage and building a better base before getting into any sort of formal training.

sillysassafrass

SillySassafrass

FWIW: This past season I did almost what you are suggesting on a 25-30 mile running week (with also about 10 miles of low impact hiking on off days) ): Half marathon (did race this, PR by 8 minutes), two weeks later did a 25K trail race (hilly), one week after that did a 10 mile all uphill mtn race, two weeks after that raced a 13.9 mile leg for a relay. (Klondike). (Then the week after I did a "fun" 10K). The half marathon was my goal race, but then I felt good and signed up for the others afterwards (didn't need to sign up in advance), and ended up joining the relay team last minute. I loosely followed Hansons intermediate half marathon plan. I tweaked something in my hamstring in the half, so took completely off 4 days and then ran a few slow short mile days the first week. The second week, I pretty much ran a typical week, and the 25K trail run replaced the long run. Took the first two days off after the 25K, ran a few short runs in the middle of the week, then did the 10 mile uphill as a fast/hard long run, took the following day off. Then the last two weeks before the 13.9 mile relay I pretty much just followed a typical training week. Physically, if you train for the half I think you should be able to do it. (Not sure if all asphalt would make a difference. My 25K was mostly trail with about 3 miles of asphalt, the 10 mile was 5 miles of asphalt, 5 of trail.) If it is an option, I'd sign up for the first and last, and then see how you feel after the first before deciding to sign up for the second.

PR: 5k 22:51 4/12/14; 10k 50:24 7/16/14; 8K 39:10 11/8/2014; HM 1:48:34 7/26/14