Where in the World? (Read 255 times)

Kalsarikännit

Let's say you got to take your dream vacation. Anywhere in the world from one week to three months. Money is no object. Work isn't a concern. Your job will be waiting for you when you come back. Since RA'ers breed like rabbits, the kid thing isn't an issue. Take them with, the grandparents or aunts and uncles are happy to watch them, or you do this trip once you have schlepped them off to college.

Where have you always dreamt of going?  What would you like to do or explore?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Julia1971

Good question!

I really want to go to St. Petersburg - Russia not Florida. I want to see The Hermitage. It looks amazing from pictures I've seen.  I'm having trouble finding someone to go with, though. It's not high on my friends and family's list. I went to Machu Picchu last year with a friend. I may drag her to Russia with me.

I really want to go to St. Petersburg - Russia not Florida. I want to see The Hermitage. It looks amazing from pictures I've seen.  I'm having trouble finding someone to go with, though. It's not high on my friends and family's list. I went to Machu Picchu last year with a friend. I may drag her to Russia with me.

I just did a hike to Machu Picchu last fall as part of my honeymoon. Apparently they had a marathon along the Inca Trail the week before we got there...I can't imagine trying to run a marathon at that elevation. Most definitely worth the trip to go there though!

Petra, Jordan is next on my list of dream places to visit. Dun Aengus in August is next up for actual places that I’ll be visiting; possibly also running the R&R half marathon in Dublin while there.

Hmmm, I've only got a boring answer to this one.  I have spent the last 20 years traveling, and I am tired of it!  I mean I have seen alot of wonderful things, and I have been to 26 countries, but tired of traveling now.  At this point, I just want to stay stateside.  Sometimes when you are gone so long, you appreciate being here even more.

I have been to 38 of the 50 states, but alot of that was driving through without stopping.   That isn't sufficient for me anymore and I want to run ultras in many various states.  Possibly all 50 someday, but not a must on the "all 50" part.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

an amazing likeness

Let's say you got to take your dream vacation. Anywhere in the world from one week to three months. Money is no object. Work isn't a concern. Your job will be waiting for you when you come back. Since RA'ers breed like rabbits, the kid thing isn't an issue. Take them with, the grandparents or aunts and uncles are happy to watch them, or you do this trip once you have schlepped them off to college.

Where have you always dreamt of going?  What would you like to do or explore?

I'd just like to do about 1/100th of what you've already done...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Anywhere that is not a big city.

I hate the city.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

...is Carmen SanDiego...

Bali

although I am honestly not much of a traveler.  If someone took my kids for a week so I could stay home in a quiet house, that would be good too.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Why is it sideways?

I want to go to Africa -- which I realize is like a pretty broad goal. Of course, Iten Kenya to run with the fasties, but also the Maasai park and then perhaps the Serengeti in Tanzania.

I've heard the desert country in Morocco is pretty dope as well.

I'd also like to go to check in on my fellow human beings in China and India.

Kalsarikännit

I'd just like to do about 1/100th of what you've already done...

I don't regret the choices I've made in my life so I can travel.  I know it isn't for everyone though. Really, I'm so happy just hopping on back roads and exploring this country. It is so big and beautiful.

I guess I'll answer my own question. If I had the money I would go to Bhutan.  You can't go dirtbag trekker like you can in Nepal living off $12 a day. The government sets a price of $200/day for all trekkers. It keeps most people away, and they retain their culture and way of living.   The trek I want to do there takes 25 days. That's a lot of dinero.

More realistically, I would like to explore the Karakoram in northern Pakistan.  That is probably number one right now. The Inca Trail and Machu Picchu is up there, along with Kilimanjaro.

Being a travel writer would be perfect for me except that I write like a third grader that has suffered some kind of head trauma.

Slo

RAGBRAI

I do get to cross one of my Vacations spots off the list this year. Alaska for 10 days.

New Zealand, Scotland, Brazil and Australia

Being a travel writer would be perfect for me except that I write like a third grader that has suffered some kind of head trauma.

Explain how this is different from most travel writers?

Wing

Joggaholic

The international space station, although I realize I may be bored out of my mind go crazy after a day or two cooped up in there. This is the dork in me talking...

And to add, that level of writing is still above what most High School Graduates are coming out of the schools with these days...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Kalsarikännit

RAGBRAI

Big grin  How is it that nothing I do ever beats Iowa in July?

Prince of Fatness

I don't regret the choices I've made in my life so I can travel.  I know it isn't for everyone though. Really, I'm so happy just hopping on back roads and exploring this country. It is so big and beautiful.

I have traveled very little in my life.  I do not regret the choices that I have made that have caused that (that is probably the important part).  Besides, like Ennay I am perfectly content in taking a few days off and hanging out at the house.

That said I would like to do what you mention here.  I have always said that if I won the lottery I would buy a camper and  and just travel around the country for as long as it took to see everything that I wanted to see.  So I guess that is how I should answer your question.

Not at it at all.