Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Won AG in a big 4-mile race here yesterday with a PR (7th OA).  Also beat all the young bucks at my workplace who seem intent on toppling the old guy.  (OK, that might be my paranoia talking).  Also beat a KC area masters' guy who I've never beaten before; he's that guy who is always just 5 or 10 seconds ahead of me in every 5k, if you know what I mean.  Although he told me that "it wasn't there" for him today, and I certainly understand and respect that, I like getting the V today over him because it says to him and me that it can happen. 

Only downside was that after making a move on a guy to pass him with about half a mile left, he fought back and took me back with about 400 to go and from there I couldn't quite re-take him and lost to him by 2 seconds.  When that sort of thing happens I always feel like a pussy for losing in the final quarter, but considering how beat up I felt today and what a struggle it was to get through my run this afternoon, I think I have to conclude that I did race hard, and even though I may not have left absolutely *everything* out there, apparently I left most of it out there.

Most of all, I am very encouraged to race this well off almost ONLY aerobic mileage this winter.  I just barely started a little bit of hard stuff this week, so I'm hoping this may be a sign that I'm going to be on a strong trajectory for 2014.

Congrats. It is scary to think what you could do if you came close to a taper!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Yesterday: gotta get tax crap done. 

Today: finished! 

Yesterday: gotta get tax crap done.

Yesterday: DNS 

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Yesterday, I finished my first full running week post surgery.  I had tentatively expected to run 15 miles or so, but ended up with 22 and feeling great.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Won AG in a big 4-mile race here yesterday with a PR (7th OA).  Also beat all the young bucks at my workplace who seem intent on toppling the old guy.  (OK, that might be my paranoia talking).  Also beat a KC area masters' guy who I've never beaten before; he's that guy who is always just 5 or 10 seconds ahead of me in every 5k, if you know what I mean.  Although he told me that "it wasn't there" for him today, and I certainly understand and respect that, I like getting the V today over him because it says to him and me that it can happen. 

Only downside was that after making a move on a guy to pass him with about half a mile left, he fought back and took me back with about 400 to go and from there I couldn't quite re-take him and lost to him by 2 seconds.  When that sort of thing happens I always feel like a pussy for losing in the final quarter, but considering how beat up I felt today and what a struggle it was to get through my run this afternoon, I think I have to conclude that I did race hard, and even though I may not have left absolutely *everything* out there, apparently I left most of it out there.

Most of all, I am very encouraged to race this well off almost ONLY aerobic mileage this winter.  I just barely started a little bit of hard stuff this week, so I'm hoping this may be a sign that I'm going to be on a strong trajectory for 2014.

Congrats, joescott!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

joescott

Thanks for the congrats, everybody.

Yesterday, I finished my first full running week post surgery.  I had tentatively expected to run 15 miles or so, but ended up with 22 and feeling great.

And great job and good luck on your comeback, Damaris!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Thanks for the congrats, everybody.

And great job and good luck on your comeback, Damaris!

Dang, nice race, Joe. Very impressive.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

136 miles for the month. Highest total since last March. 5 months of 100 miles.

Mar 2014     136.6 mi        
                Feb 2014     100.7 mi        
                Jan 2014     100.9 mi        
                Dec 2013     100.4 mi        
                Nov 2013     111.2 mi        
                Oct 2013     87.1 mi        
                Sep 2013     48.8 mi        
                Aug 2013     54.6 mi        
                Jul 2013     66 mi        
                Jun 2013     28.1 mi        
                May 2013     17.3 mi        
                Apr 2013     100.3 mi  

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

WTG, Ron! You represent the Dekalb runnership well. I skulk off in shame. I think that's why they just gave me jury duty. It's an excuse to go to Decatur, which I like. 

My biggest accomplishment yesterday was learning how to make a short URL in the middle of the night and staying up to the wee hours of the morn revamping my website to have short ones. In the coding world, this potato is so small that it's a microspud no bigger than a paramecium,  but huge for the HTML village idiot that I am. My victory today was getting out of bed 1 minute before noon. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

136 miles for the month. Highest total since last March. 5 months of 100 miles.

Mar 2014     136.6 mi        
                  Feb 2014     100.7 mi        
                  Jan 2014     100.9 mi        
                  Dec 2013     100.4 mi        
                  Nov 2013     111.2 mi        
                  Oct 2013     87.1 mi        
                  Sep 2013     48.8 mi        
                  Aug 2013     54.6 mi        
                  Jul 2013     66 mi        
                  Jun 2013     28.1 mi        
                  May 2013     17.3 mi        
                  Apr 2013     100.3 mi  

you people & your victories are all fabulous !

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

My biggest accomplishment yesterday was learning how to make a short URL in the middle of the night and staying up to the wee hours of the morn revamping my website to have short ones. In the coding world, this potato is so small that it's a microspud no bigger than a paramecium,  but huge for the HTML village idiot that I am. My victory today was getting out of bed 1 minute before noon. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

That's a big victory. I still can  not post pictures to this site

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

npaden

Kept my 100 miles per month streak alive after breaking my collarbone on February 22nd!

Thankfully had already reached 100 miles in February before I broke it and just finished knocking out 8.5 miles on the treadmill tonight to get me to 100 for March with a day to spare!

25 months in a row now.  Going to the Dr. tomorrow, hopefully he will give me the okay to start running again.  

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

snapa55

Put down 255 miles for the month of March!  Nearly 50 miles over my highest monthly mileage.

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

BeeRunB

WTG on keeping the monthly streak going, Npaden!

255, Snap!

Small victory: rested and recovered with complete and utter impunity today.

bap

I walked on just one crutch!

Certified Running Coach
                              Crocked since 2013

bpangie

Sunday I ran my first 50 miler. I was happy with the result, but that's not my victory. The victory was that I got out on Monday and went for a two mile shuffle/hobble/gimp at a sluggish two-minutes-per-mile slower than my 50m pace. Oopha the quads are sore.