All time favorite albums (Read 1057 times)

What's your all-time favorite album? Or at least the top 5 or so. I know it's so hard to pick just one. How 'bout the album you have played more than any other... that you've had to buy extra copies of because you practically ruined the first one from playing it so much. Or the album you grew up listening to... or the first album you remember hearing. For me... Elton John's Madman Across the Water is all of those things and more. Madman is one of the first things I ever remember listening to (along with Chopin that my mom played). I loved the song, I loved the album. By the time I was in THIRD grade, I had all of Elton's albums of the 1970-1975 era, up to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. (I was even Elton for halloween). Even at age 9, I felt a huge difference in his music after Captain Fantastic and I've never liked it to this day. But man, that 1970-1975 era... the glory days for Elton and Bernie... spoke to me before any other music ever did. He was depressed, he was shy, he was coked up, he was boozed up, and man he could write a melody and sing it. When I started playing piano, it was because of him. If I could make a career out of playing piano and writing songs like that, man I would. I could never be at the level he ever was. And I definitely couldn't sing like that. But if I could revive that kind of rock and roll today, that would be my true life calling as a musician. (Not this silly orchestra thing I'm doing now... Wink)... Also up there, in the all time favorites cloud, is more Elton... Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John, and Tumbleweed Connection. But I also love love love love... Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Phish's album Rift. Tom Petty's first album, and Led Zeppelin's first album are great too. at one point loved Oasis' What's the Story: Morning Glory So anyway... My all time favorite album is Madman Across the Water by Elton John. "Tiny Dancer" – 6:17 "Levon" – 5:22 "Razor Face" – 4:44 "Madman Across the Water" – 5:57 "Indian Sunset" – 6:46 "Holiday Inn" – 4:16 "Rotten Peaches" – 4:58 "All the Nasties" – 5:09 "Goodbye" – 1:48 ...What's your's?

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

PWL

Has been

Albums that I can listen to front to back and never get tired of: R.E.M.--Automatic for the People Pearl Jam--Vs Pearl Jam--Ten Blink-182--Dude Ranch Guns 'n Roses--Use Your Illusion I & II Smashing Pumpkins--Siamese Dream Other "pseudo-albums" I listen to a lot are: Movie Soundtrack--"Singles" and, embarrassingly enough Michael Jackson--Number Ones I feel kind of dirty now.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Tough topic. Lessee... (in no particular order) Rumours - Fleetwood Mac Hotel California - Eagles Glass Houses - Billy Joel Boomtown - David & David Streets of Fire - Various (Soundtrack) Bat out of Hell - Meat Loaf Genesis - Genesis Tuff Enuff - Fabulous Thunderbirds Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn New World Record - ELO
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My list is too long and eclectic. I just plain love music...the following are all albums that I can put on repeat for hours and not get tired of. Ashley MacIsaac: "Hi, how are you today?" Maroon 5: "Songs About Jane" Dixie Chicks: "Fly" Domestic Problems: "Live" (we were at this show and can pick ourselves out of a crowd photo in the liner notes) Stereophonics: "You Gotta Go There To Come Back" Johnny Cash: "16 Biggest Hits" Once: (movie soundtrack) KD Lang: "Ingenue" Moulin Rouge Soundtrack Loreena McKennitt: "Book of Secrets" Rawlins Cross: "Living River" Squirrel Nut Zippers: "Hot" And I could listen to pretty much any Elton John or Billy Joel and not become annoyed.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bat out of Hell - Meat Loaf
              Oh, that should be on my list, too. Man, I need to dig that out and play it for DS. I'll bet he'd be singing along in no time. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Bat out of Hell - Meat Loaf
                I find it hard to believe anyone else admits to that. Bat is the only CD I ever actually wore out. It remains the answer to that question: if you were on a desert island and could have just one album, what would it be ...? And I'm pretty sure we had this exact conversation the last time this comet passed by Earth. The video is still worth watching start to finish. Arguably the greatest ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZDTK9Yhko But not as hot as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ns8t9iQck

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I forgot another one... The Police: "Every Breath You Take: The Singles"

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can't get the second one to load...what is it, JK?

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

The Police are definitely up there for me. And Bruce Springsteen. And Neil Young. ... so many choices it might be easier to say what I wouldn't listen to!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

... so many choices it might be easier to say what I wouldn't listen to!
                        ...like the WASPy gospel crap my grandparents forced us to listen to in their car...made me want to stab a butter knife in my ears. Dead

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

...made me want to stab a butter knife in my ears. Dead
                          can barely type this is making me laugh so hard...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anything by Bob Dylan.
                            JakeKnight

Anything by Bob Dylan.
                              You funny.

You're right. It's hard to pick favorites, but I forgot one obvious one. Excitable Boy - Warren Zevon Okay, that's my last nomination. I promise. It's got a couple of good running tunes on it.
                                Do bears bear? Do bees be?