Running with a broken toe? (Read 84 times)

teileen

Has anyone experienced successfully running with a broken toe?  I slipped on the stairs yesterday and given the bruising and pain I am pretty sure it's broken.  It's the next to smallest toe.  I just did my last long run on Sunday, 22.6 miles, leading up to the Houston marathon on 1/14 and have a 1.093 day running streak at stake.   Hoping someone out there can share their experience continuing to run with a similar injury.   Thanks!

Est. 2006

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Yeah, didn’t let it heal, and had to have surgery.

Taking time off won’t undo all of your training to this point. If it were me I would see a doctor, first of all, to see if it really is broken. Regardless of what the doctor says in terms of treatment if it IS broken (I feel most non-runner doctors are conservative in their treatment recs), I would take a week off.

I also think it matters what toe. Big toe? That’s a problem.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Oops just realized you specified what toe. That one probably isn’t as bad as your big toe but I’d still let it have some rest to heal. Marathons have a way of magnifying the smallest pain, at least in my opinion.

flyrunnr

I'd be concerned about favoring the unaffected leg/foot which could lead to other injuries. I'd suggest breaking the same toe on the other foot to alleviate the favoring issue.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a medical professional, so my advice may be worthless.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

papopp

this is gonna be of zero help to the OP----but  I have run various times with broken bones in both feet.(not both feet simultaneously, mind you ---but  each foot  various times)

It aint a lot of fun---but it can be done . In my case never more than 4 or 5 miles a t a clip . personally , I have never run farther than a half marathon and I certainly wouldn't even attempt that  with broken bones . 4 or 5 miles was enough for me .

Stephen

teileen

Good idea, flyrunnr!  Haha. Mj5, which toe was it?

I was able to do my min mile at a decent clip yesterday without favoring it much.  I think it was so horrible the day I fell because I was still a little wrecked from the 22 miler the day before.  I still have 2.5 weeks before the race and I can do interval and endurance training on the bike until I can run further than a mile without pain.

And Stephen, actually it is helpful to know it can be done.  Smile

I've been running every day for 3 years (as of this Friday) and have been planning this marathon for a year.  This little toe issue just doesn't seem significant enough to give up on either of these endeavors.  But, we will see.  One day at a time.

Thanks, all.

Est. 2006

kilkee

runktrun

Because runners often make poor decisions...

What's your minimum daily mileage to keep the streak alive?  I don't think the streak is worth possible long term damage or surgery, BUT...we all know you'll probably try to keep it alive :P  If you can walk/run an easy mile every day without pain and count it towards your streak, maybe that's a good compromise.  With your marathon coming up, I would suggest time off NOW rather than get to the start line only 80% healed and possibly really screw it up.  Don't worry about losing fitness before Jan 14.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

My toe was my big toe.

I am not an an advocate of streaking. I think it’s absolutely silly to risk injury or poor performance for the sake of a streak. Just my opinion.

teileen

The rule is one mile.  And I can run on the tm at a 10 min pace relatively well as of day 2 of brokentoegate.  Like I said,  and as it has been always with the streak,  one day at a time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions,  mj5.  What works for some doesn't work for all.  I started running late in life 12 years ago and the past three have been the best in terms of health and performance.

Still interested in people's experiences successfully continuing to run with a similar injury!

Est. 2006

Been there done that, but runners aren't always the brightest.

Broke my big toe, took a week off and then paced a half marathon at a 8:00 pace.

Streaks are made to be broken. (edit to add) Streak since 2014, suck it up, it's only a mile)

Don't know that I'd want to do a full with a broken toe.

Get off my porch

teileen

Update:  Streak is safe and I finished the Houston Marathon in 4:15 this morning for RSD 1,113!

Est. 2006

Still kicking

I broke my second toe on my left foot, in 1983, on a swimming pool diving board. I was young and poor, and didn't seek medical treatment. I didn't take any time off, and even ran a 10K the next weekend. It healed crooked and weird looking, and the joint fused, and I haven't been able to bend it ever since. But it's never bothered me, never slowed me down, and has never been an issue.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Update:  Streak is safe and I finished the Houston Marathon in 4:15 this morning for RSD 1,113!

Congratulations!

KarleenWhitley

How are you now?