Easter Traditions (Read 641 times)

What are some of the things that you do every Easter that make it a special day for your family? One of the things that my parents used to do for us kids, that I'm continuing on, was to make little paper clues about where our gift could be found. We'd start with one clue (and my rhyming dad always made them up), then it'd say where to find the next, etc., until you made it to the gift! Some of the clues were in pretty funny places, and not all clues were easily figured out! And there were A LOT of clues too- we had to work for those Easter presents!! I just finished 15 clues...still have a few to go, but this gives you an idea of the torture we put our kids through: (This would be found in a little wrapped box for both of them...Clue #1) Happy Easter Noah and Bryan ! We love you with all our heart! Are you ready to find your Easter present? Get ready, get set, and start!! Follow the clues, And the closer you'll be, To finding your package, And yelling, "Whoopee!" So where to now? You stand there and wonder, Turn toward a couch, And then look under! (Clue 2) Good job finding Clue #1! Very quick you two are, Now go look at the window, Outside on the car <----they'd head="" into="" the="" garage="" (clue="" 3)="" brr.="" it's="" cold="" out="" here.="" but="" you're="" doing="" very="" well.="" go="" into="" the="" place="" where="" you="" scrub="" up="" &="" get="" rid="" of="" your="" smell.=""></----they'd><-----which of="" course,="" is="" the="" tub!="" (clue="" 4)="" rub="" a="" dub="" dubby="" you're="" here="" in="" the="" tubby="" look="" behind="" the="" gold="" bear="" that's="" really="" really="" chubby!=""></-----which><-----which would lead them to a huge winnie the pooh bear in their bedroom. anyhow, you get the idea. we have the kids going from one end of the house to the other, upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, in the house, back out in the garage and depending on the weather (which it looks like it'll be too cold) outside too!! it's a blast. i'm also thinkin' about making jello eggs to hide as we can't have eggs. we'll see! would="" lead="" them="" to="" a="" huge="" winnie="" the="" pooh="" bear="" in="" their="" bedroom.="" anyhow,="" you="" get="" the="" idea.="" we="" have="" the="" kids="" going="" from="" one="" end="" of="" the="" house="" to="" the="" other,="" upstairs,="" downstairs,="" in="" the="" garage,="" in="" the="" house,="" back="" out="" in="" the="" garage="" and="" depending="" on="" the="" weather="" (which="" it="" looks="" like="" it'll="" be="" too="" cold)="" outside="" too!!="" it's="" a="" blast.="" i'm="" also="" thinkin'="" about="" making="" jello="" eggs="" to="" hide="" as="" we="" can't="" have="" eggs.="" we'll="" see!=""></-----which would lead them to a huge winnie the pooh bear in their bedroom. anyhow, you get the idea. we have the kids going from one end of the house to the other, upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, in the house, back out in the garage and depending on the weather (which it looks like it'll be too cold) outside too!! it's a blast. i'm also thinkin' about making jello eggs to hide as we can't have eggs. we'll see! >
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that's really cool! We don't really have any unique traditions like that, but that would be a fun one to start! My dad and I had sort of an inside joke. As a kid I was the only one to like black jelly beans, so my dad one year filled my basket with nothing but the black ones (I don't know if you still can find this, but Brach's used to make bags of just black ones). Interesting what a diet heavy in black jelly beans will do to your poops... /TMI k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

When I was a kid we used to hide the Easter baskets - everyone got to hide someone else's. It's hard finding good hiding spots for a full-sized Easter basket. Behind the long drapes, behind a chair, under a blanket... I only had one year that they couldn't find the one I'd hidden - I put it in the clothes dryer! I felt so clever... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I only had one year that they couldn't find the one I'd hidden - I put it in the clothes dryer! I felt so clever... Big grin
          My folks did that to me one year...hmmm...I think that might be a good place for Dane's... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Interesting what a diet heavy in black jelly beans will do to your poops... /TMI
            There are only two kinds of people in this world -- those who love black jelly beans, and those who hate them. And I love 'em. I don't care what it does to my poop...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't care what it does to my poop...
              Hey, but it'll keep ya' regular! Kinda like coffee every morning. Helps to keep a person on schedule. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

When I was a kid we used to hide the Easter baskets - everyone got to hide someone else's. It's hard finding good hiding spots for a full-sized Easter basket. Behind the long drapes, behind a chair, under a blanket... I only had one year that they couldn't find the one I'd hidden - I put it in the clothes dryer! I felt so clever... Big grin
                I had to laugh!!!! After I did all of the clues that I mentioned, the last one lead my kids to ....you guessed it!...the clothes dryer! Too funny!!! Big grin
                  Interesting what a diet heavy in black jelly beans will do to your poops... /TMI k
                  Only here in RA can we talk about our poops!! Big grin
                    There are only two kinds of people in this world -- those who love black jelly beans, and those who hate them. And I love 'em. I don't care what it does to my poop...
                    Let's form a club - The RA Black Jelly Bean Lovers! BTW - as recently as a couple years ago I bought a bag of all black jelly beans. Haven't looked for them since though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Let's form a club - The RA Black Jelly Bean Lovers! BTW - as recently as a couple years ago I bought a bag of all black jelly beans. Haven't looked for them since though.
                      I love black jelly beans, I'm the only one in our house of 6 that likes them!! Yay, more for me.

Michelle

shyrunner07

i love black jelly beans too! Actually, i like all of them except for pink (tastes too bitter...almost like Peeps, which i loathe).... no major traditions here- this was the first easter where hannah really got into the whole "easter bunny coming to visit" sort of thing. She burst into the bedroom just shy of 7 this morning eager to go see....! still trying to find a balance between what we do and what the ILs do with h on the holidays....MIL insists on coloring eggs too, having the Bunny visit their house etc....it's nice that they love hannah so much, but i wish they'd just back off a bit....she had her turn to do all this stuff with her kids, now it's mine. /petty rant
                          no major traditions here- this was the first easter where hannah really got into the whole "easter bunny coming to visit" sort of thing. She burst into the bedroom just shy of 7 this morning eager to go see....! still trying to find a balance between what we do and what the ILs do with h on the holidays....MIL insists on coloring eggs too, having the Bunny visit their house etc....it's nice that they love hannah so much, but i wish they'd just back off a bit....she had her turn to do all this stuff with her kids, now it's mine. /petty rant
                          That can be a tough one!! I haven't had it too bad. My MIL luckily had to deal with the same situation (had 5 kids) so she TELLS me to enjoy them at home and then visit / they'll visit afterward. She didn't like having to take them to her in-laws and celebrate. She did it on Christmas too and going straight there early in the morning was anything but fun. It's hard to strike a balance, isn't it. And it's not petty ranting!! Smile
                            My folks do what they do at christmas, new year and any other bank holiday. Drink themselves into a stupor.
                              My folks do what they do at christmas, new year and any other bank holiday. Drink themselves into a stupor.
                              Sounds like a few relatives of mine!! LOL