Hansons vs. Pfitzinger (Read 2722 times)

jackh

Is there any way to get an effective speed session in if there's snow on the ground?  I'm following the Hanson's plan and am scheduled for 8x600, but the track is under eight inches of snow.  Most of the non-main roads around where I live are excessively hilly and there is very little surface that isn't covered in snow.  I'm contemplating joining a gym for a few months just to use their treadmill, but this option sounds awful.  Thanks for any and all help.

npaden

I just did a 6 X 800m with 400m recoveries session on my treadmill last night, it actually wasn't bad at all.  You at least know for sure you are going to hit your paces.  The workouts with even 400m increments work real well because you can just set it to see the laps around the virtual track and go from there.  It would be tougher on a 600m or a 1,000m interval, you would have to keep track of where you are in the workout a little better.

Thankfully my paces work out to even numbers so I just press 8.0 mph for my fast intervals and 6.0 mph for my recoveries, but on my treadmill it wouldn't be too terrible to change it up slightly either.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Was it all a dream?

I'm contemplating joining a gym for a few months just to use their treadmill, but this option sounds awful. 

Yeah, treadmill workouts are the way to go.  Even if the roads around you weren't hilly, the possibility of hitting some black ice makes them a less than ideal option.  With the breaking up the run in w/u & c/d, intervals, recoveries, etc., I find workouts on treadmills are much less monotonus than just pounding out easy miles, if that helps.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

i've been doing my intervals on TM lately and work out well. i live 2m from my gym so I run to gym for warm-up and run back for my cool-down and do workout on mill. Track not well lit when i run in am so this was a safe option for me right now.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

kevinballen

information about this free Pfitzinger webinar was posted on Runner's World forum.

Free webinar with Pete Pfitzinger

Hi, this is Melissa from Human Kinetics and I wanted you folks to know about the free webinar we’re hosting tomorrow afternoon with elite runner Pete Pfitzinger. In Marathon Training: How to optimize your training program to reach your potential, Pete, two-time Olympic marathoner, exercise physiologist, coach and co-author of Advanced Marathoning, will provide insights on how to develop your marathon training program to reach your potential.

In this free webinar, Pete will provide details on the right balance of training to optimize your marathon performance, including long runs, tempo runs, marathon pace runs, VO2 max training, speed training and recovery runs. The session will wrap up with a discussion of how to taper your marathon training over the last few weeks so you are fit and fresh for a personal best. This webinar will be useful for any marathoner who wants to improve their performance.

This webinar will take place Thursday, January 17 at 4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/756983232 to sign up.

Thanks all!

Will it be finished before Lance goes on?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Is there any way to get an effective speed session in if there's snow on the ground?  I'm following the Hanson's plan and am scheduled for 8x600, but the track is under eight inches of snow.  Most of the non-main roads around where I live are excessively hilly and there is very little surface that isn't covered in snow.  I'm contemplating joining a gym for a few months just to use their treadmill, but this option sounds awful.  Thanks for any and all help.

If you're trying to hit certain paces, then you'd probably need an indoor track or tm under those conditions, if available. If you've got popular single-track trails near you, they may get packed down fairly quickly (ours do), and they might be useful - probably still slower than a firm surface.

Depending on your terrain on streets and trails, you may be able to do some downhill work for speed or uphill for anaerobic. My microspikes are earning their keep this year - mostly for ice, not snow, unfortunately (did snow today finally). (I generally only do trail races, so hills, slippery mud, snow, etc can be part of the race conditions.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I ended up shoveling out the first lane of the track.  Off to run 8x600.

pcaharrier

I ended up shoveling out the first lane of the track.  Off to run 8x600.

Does shoveling snow count as cross training?  Big grin

I don't know what it counts as, but it wasn't fun.  It was heavy, wet snow.  It was worth it though.  I was able to hit all my splits.  In related news, I'm headed to sports authority later today to buy a treadmill.

jeffdonahue

I don't know what it counts as, but it wasn't fun.  It was heavy, wet snow.  It was worth it though.  I was able to hit all my splits.  In related news, I'm headed to sports authority later today to buy a treadmill.

What kind are you buying.  I'm looking for a treadmill for the house but all the ones I've seen dont seem all that sturdy for running (walking would be fine).

I picked up a Proform 600C for $800 plus I had a $50 off coupon.  I'm just about to start assembling it.  It seemed really sturdy in the store and was recomended by Consumer Reports.  I didn't want to pay extra for bells & whistles.  All I required was a sturdy machine that went up to 12mph.  I checked online, Dicks, & Sports Authority and found SA to have the best deal.  When you shop around wear your running shoes and get a good sense of ride & sturdiness.  I ran for a mile and a half before deciding.  I got some weird looks and was sweating my butt off.

If I hit all the splits/paces/milage laid out in the Hanson's plan, I should be able to run my goal time, right?

bhearn

There's a lot of empirical evidence that you will on Pfitzinger's plan. On Hansons', at least as in the new book, I don't think we have much data yet. Which is not to say Pfitzinger is a better plan, even if the answer turns out to be no -- there's also how likely you are, starting a plan, to hit all the splits/paces/mileage.

Let us know!