Completion time predictor? (Read 122 times)

joescott

At mile 22 it doesn't matter. At that point you just go until you collapse or someone wraps you in a mylar sheet--whichever comes first.

Can you safely look at the sun through those?  Seems like it's the same stuff as in those special glasses you can get to look at eclipses, but maybe the material thickness is not the same or it's in some other way fundamentally different?  Sure wish we had a physicist or someone like that around who could do some quick calcs for us.

BTW, X, you can get notifications of your e-mails (and read the first lines of them if you like) on 920XT.  :-)  It's well worth the $449.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

bhearn

Can you safely look at the sun through those?  Seems like it's the same stuff as in those special glasses you can get to look at eclipses, but maybe the material thickness is not the same or it's in some other way fundamentally different?

Mylar doesn't make a very good solar filter.

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/solar_acc/astrosolar

mikeymike

BTW, X, you can get notifications of your e-mails (and read the first lines of them if you like) on 920XT.  :-)  It's well worth the $449.

That would come in handy at mile 22 of a marathon.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

totes agree!

Runners run

jpdeaux

$449.

Let's see:

$130 for the sweet Unicorn jacket

$32 for a cab from Boston College mile 22 to St. James Ave.

$224 for a night at the Fairmont Copley Plaza

$63 for Official Boston Marathon finisher's medal on eBay.

= $449

Yup, totally would come in handy.

joescott

Bob, great, now I'm going to go blind.

mike and Ilene, a man's got to make a livin'.     but I have been chuckling under my breath...  good to have the RA brothers and sisters keepin' it real so I don't get overcome by the koolaide.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

FSBD

How else would I know if I was running fast enough if I wasn't getting email notifications of likes from the facebooks?

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mikeymike

mike and Ilene, a man's got to make a livin'.     but I have been chuckling under my breath...  good to have the RA brothers and sisters keepin' it real so I don't get overcome by the koolaide.

Don't get me wrong, if I had no kids and 10,000 gallon saltwater fish tank money, I'd have a bunch of $450 running watches. One in each color or whatever. Why the hell not.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Don't get me wrong, if I had no kids and 10,000 gallon saltwater fish tank money, I'd have a bunch of $450 running watches. One in each color or whatever. Why the hell not.

Smile

steph  

carpediem

In response to the question if there is a timing device to provide your estimated finish or completion time - yes!  And a lot cheaper than the $450 Garmin mentioned.

The ETA App is a highly accurate (GPS-based), patented timing app that continually informs runners/ cyclists/ athletes in *real-time* of their:

· Projected Finish Time DURING the event (and compares this to your goal time) and also provides:

· “Required Pace” for --remaining intervals-- (miles or KMs) to hit goal time and allow athletes to stay on goal pace and achieve Personal Records. * Data is refreshed at the end of each mile or KM. *

There is no other watch or app that provides this unique data to DIAL IN AND KNOW YOUR PACE EARLY AND OFTEN.

The "ETA App" is designed for the Apple iPhone (Android version coming shortly) and Apple Watch.

Here's a link to the ETA App video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUb4EPO3pU

Here's the link to the ETA App on the Apple App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/ms/app/eta-app-know-your-eta-finish/id1087315378?mt=8

Or, simply type in "ETA App Kelly" into the Apple App Store search engine.

The ETA App is a proven tool to help runners/ cyclists/ athletes achieve their best finish times via optimal energy (pace) management and monitoring their estimated finish time throughout the event (race or training) and adjusting their pace early and often.

It is also useful for athletes new to distance events to easily dial in their pace, early and often, and achieve Personal Records (PRs). It's like having your own pace coach alongside you. It takes the uncertainty away as you know exactly where you are and how you're doing compared to your goal times, throughout the event.

Specifically, the ETA App provides all the usual GPS running watch features (total time, split of last interval, distance in tenths of a mile or KM, etc.), the ETA app also provides the following patented data (and all are recalculated at the end of each interval [mile or KM] ).

Ø Estimated Finish Time / ETA (using a patented, "smoothed average" pace calculation and NOT instantaneous pace like other watch Co.s).

Ø Time variance to your Goal Finish Time and Estimated Finish Time.

Ø The "Required Pace" for the *remaining* intervals to achieve Goal Finish Time and push you faster (or not, if you are ahead of goal pace).

Just released, new functions:

* As mentioned above, at the end of each interval, verbal announcements for all above ETA data via a Bluetooth connection to earbuds (user chooses English, Spanish or French). -- No Need to Look at your iPhone or Apple Watch! --

* A detailed and scalable map (which can be saved and emailed) at the completion of the event showing in detail the route of the course with pins marking the miles or KMs. The app also provides tables and line graphs showing the splits for all intervals & that can be saved and emailed in a PDF document.

* Number steps (walking or running) and much more accurate than FitBit and other devices which use a pedometer. The app uses the gait length (inputted by the user) which is divided into the total GPS distance.

I have tested the app many times with runners and triathletes with very positive responses including several runners qualifying for Boston for the first time. Several triathletes are also using it to qualify for Kona.

Their feedback and modifications are built into the design and functionality this app. It's highly accurate and is a true "athlete's app." 

Enjoy the ETA App!