1st year anniversary ... (Read 539 times)

Along for the Ride

of my herniated L4/5 disc ... and nearly 6 months of slight depression, frustration, anger and oh yeah twice weekly physical therapy. As a nurse, I lifted an overweight patient (she was about to slide off the bed). I felt a 'pop' and there was my herniated disc. I had right leg muscle weaknesses, sciatica and muscle spasms all over my back. I wasn't even allowed to swim Cry Not even thinking of running ... Why this post? I worked through all these internal mental issues of how someone else's obesity changed my life. Yes, I am better and back to running, but the back will never be the same. I can feel it and need to be aware of the changes every day. It might get real bad again down the road ... But this is not a pity-party for Gabriele. Kudos to all of you who stay physically active! To those who want to lose those 10-100 pounds and work hard for it! To those who encourage others to to the same! I will celebrate having overcome this very hard time in my life with a nice 7 mile run and the fact that I myself have lost 10 pounds since then. Smile Let's fight America's epidemic obesity and increasing inactivity by being role models ourselves!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Congrats to you, Gabriel, for the courage to keep on working through your issues. Enjoy your run Smile Congrats on your PR !

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

YES! And it is an epidemic--for those of us who battle the bulge, but also caregivers, loved-ones, the added $ of insurance.... I'm so glad you are fighting your way back! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

of my herniated L4/5 disc ... and nearly 6 months of slight depression, frustration, anger and oh yeah twice weekly physical therapy. As a nurse, I lifted an overweight patient (she was about to slide off the bed). I felt a 'pop' and there was my herniated disc. I had right leg muscle weaknesses, sciatica and muscle spasms all over my back. I wasn't even allowed to swim Cry Not even thinking of running ... Why this post? I worked through all these internal mental issues of how someone else's obesity changed my life. Yes, I am better and back to running, but the back will never be the same. I can feel it and need to be aware of the changes every day. It might get real bad again down the road ... But this is not a pity-party for Gabriele. Kudos to all of you who stay physically active! To those who want to lose those 10-100 pounds and work hard for it! To those who encourage others to to the same! I will celebrate having overcome this very hard time in my life with a nice 7 mile run and the fact that I myself have lost 10 pounds since then. Smile Let's fight America's epidemic obesity and increasing inactivity by being role models ourselves!
          Kudo's to you for getting active again. BTDT with disc injuries (I have several problem ones in neck and lower back) took me MUCH longer than you to get out of the funk and depression but managed! It's a long road but well worth it and you may be suprised at how much stronger you'll feel! I still can't believe where I am today, and where I was 3 years ago. Night & Day! Enjoy your 7 mile run hun!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

Gabe, Congrats for making it through the hard times, and way to go on that 5K PR!!!