What is 4 X 400? (Read 725 times)

or 2 x 400 , etc. Why not say 1600 or 800 meters? Does this mean that every other "400" is run slower?
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt

You'll ruin your knees!

Others will have better info, but I believe it is 400 meter "repeats", meaning you run 400 meters, do a recovery jog/walk/shuffle/belly-crawl, run another 400 meters, do a recovery walk/crawl while wheezing a bit, do another 400 meters, do a recovery sit, do another 400 meters, do a recovery coma, etc. Lynn B PS, nice watch.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

vicentefrijole

That's how I read it too. It's most informative if they also describe how long each recovery period should be between.
          It's like for lifting weights.... I do 3 sets of 10. I could say 30 reps, but I rest between each set... I think that's the same idea!
          2009: BQ?
          Scout7

Yeah, everyone's pretty much got the idea. This is standard interval training. You would run 400 m at whatever speed, then you would do a recovery period (depending on fitness level and the goal of the workout, the recovery could be done by distance or time, and could last as long as the interval, or be shorter), then do another 400m at speed. The goal is to run at a steady pace throughout the 400's, and run them all consistently.
              So - dumb question, but is a 400 one lap around the 'virtual' track on my treadmill?
              My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
              Scout7

So - dumb question, but is a 400 one lap around the 'virtual' track on my treadmill?
                Well, 400 meters is the distance of a standard track, so I would hazard a guess and say....probably. That is assuming it's measuring meters for that and not yards.
                JakeKnight

As far as I know, that little lap on your treadmill is usually a 1/4 mile ... which is 440 yards rather than 400 meters, so it's actually around 402 meters. A standard 400m high school track is actually just a little less than 1/4 mile. (1600m is not quite a mile). None of which makes much difference, but if two meters matters to you, there you go. At least this is true on ours. Maybe some can be set for meters or miles? I dunno.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

From Hal Higdon's boo, "Marathon": "In interval training, you carefully control the period of rest time, or interval, between the fast repetitions [2 x 400, etc.] ... Key to this kind of workout is that your heart rate not be allowed to drop too low before you surge into action again. Please note that the 'interval' is the period between reps, not the repetition itself. ... interval training is probably the most efficient workout for developing speed."
                    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt