How to prepare for a 1 mile race? (Read 1327 times)

I have a 1 mile race coming up in a couple of weeks. It seems like a good idea to get some mile-specific workouts in before then, but I have no idea what those would be. I have been doing summer track workouts with the local running store, but those have been more 5k specific.

I would love some recommendations for a couple of hard workouts to get the legs moving for the mile.

--

Nashville, TN

drrbradford

A tried and tested predictor session as used by one of my coaches (who has mutiple Commonwealth and Olympic standard athletes and generally knows his beans) is the following: 2 sets 2x800 with 3min rec and 20min between the sets. It hurts like buggery but your average pace for the four reps indicates the pace you should be able to maintain for 1500m or mile race.

Feeling the growl again

You are not going to build aerobic fitness or cardiac output in a couple weeks.  But you can greatly improve neuromuscular coordination and also somewhat improve anaerobic tolerance.

I would recommend, after most of your runs (when you are warm and loose) doing 2-4 200m accelerations.  Build quickly to nearly full speed, say 800m race pace, and hold it through the end.  Your goal is simply to get used to running fast and smooth.  Since this is not a really taxing workout, or even really a workout but more of a drill, you can do it often.

drrbradford's recommendation above is a good one for anaerobic tolerance.  If it doesn't hurt and burn, you're not doing it right.  That type of workout SHOULD feel like that to get the benefit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

drrbradford

I would fully support spaniel's extended stride/accelerations during most every steady run as well. Getting familiar with running fast will get rid of at least one of the shocking elements of middle distance racing.
            Getting familiar with running fast will get rid of at least one of the shocking elements of middle distance racing.

Unfortunately, that still leaves a bunch of other shocking elements; to wit, the "how did I turn into an exploding-chest bobble-head doll" feeling;

as well as the "am I really exhaling blood?" sensation; which usually is preceded by the unsettling feeling of "God, why am I sucking down shards of hot phosphorous?" There are others.

Good news: It's over quickly. Bad news: You're going to want to do it again.

The Runner Life

unfortunately like everyone has already said, you won't be able to get much aerobic conditioning.  200m and 400m repeats will help your legs tolerate the fast pace.  An example workout for each would be 8 x 200m or 4-6 x 400m.  Try taking shorter rests so that your legs accumulate the "burn" and you have to really grind out the last couple repeats.

If doing that 2 X 2 X 800, what is the 20 min rest like? Jog around, or do some strides/drills like warming up for a workout?

Feeling the growl again

If doing that 2 X 2 X 800, what is the 20 min rest like? Jog around, or do some strides/drills like warming up for a workout?

Easy running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Unfortunately, that still leaves a bunch of other shocking elements; to wit, the "how did I turn into an exploding-chest bobble-head doll" feeling;

as well as the "am I really exhaling blood?" sensation; which usually is preceded by the unsettling feeling of "God, why am I sucking down shards of hot phosphorous?" There are others.

Good news: It's over quickly. Bad news: You're going to want to do it again.

I'm running the USATF 800m and 1500m races over the next few days, and in preparation for that, I"ve had some of those workouts that felt like that.  It hurts... but in a good way. 

10x400 at mile pace with ~2 min recoveries is a popular workout for the mile, apparently. 

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I'm running the USATF 800m and 1500m races over the next few days, and in preparation for that, I"ve had some of those workouts that felt like that.  It hurts... but in a good way. 

Good luck Tom, I should see you in both events. Team Swamp?

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                        Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Thanks for the feedback.

My fitness is pretty good, just wanting to get in some mile specific workouts to try and optimize what I got and get my legs used to moving faster than mile pace.

The 2x800 sounds good. I did a 10x400 with ~1 min recoveries earlier in the week.

--

Nashville, TN

Good luck Tom, I should see you in both events. Team Swamp?

Good luck to you too! It's going to be a hot one tomorrow. And plenty of fast runners

drrbradford

As spaniel said, easy running. Very easy running. Very, very easy running. Take the first couple of minutes to get your sweats back on/spikes off and basically jog/walk around the track for rest of the 20 minutes.

Maybe do a couple of strides before you attack the second set. Get the HR up and also lets you get a handle on just how strongly worded the letter of complaint will be which is addressed to your 'central governor' and signed, sealed and delivered by your legs.

drrbradford

I guess I should point out that the 3min and 20 minute recovery times are based on 800m times of about 2min dead. You may want to change the recoveries accordingly in order to account for a differing level of fitness.