Too much for first year? Newbie (Read 100 times)

ironictruth

I started running last year to deal with the anxiety associated with some health issues. I started in late winter/spring on a treadmill. One day in late spring I did a couple of 8 mile runs and finally went and got fitted for decent shoes!

In late June I did my first 5k at 8:12 pace. I have been racing since. I have done a 10k in July, 10 mile in September, 2 half marathons and several 5ks throughout the summer/fall. My last 5k a couple of weeks ago was at a 7:48 pace and I was so proud of how far I have come since June! I NEVER thought I would see a 5k pace below 8 minutes. I mine, I was literally doing 9-10 minute miles on the treadmill so I shocked myself.

Then the race bug hit. Those t-shirts and medals are addicting!

Stupidly, I signed up for 3 half marathons in 9 weeks. I saw them as training runs after I completed the first one an 8:39 pace! But the second one rolled around a month later and I was at an 8:59 pace, and well, you can guess what happens from there.

I am not even sure HOW to maintain long runs of 10 or more miles at this point. I THOUGHT I was recovering enough but I have days where I feel achy, like I am coming down with the flu. But I never develop the flu. I am on iron as my ferritin stores went down to 20 but were back up in the low 50's a few weeks ago. I eat a lot and stay hydrated and push the carbs and protein.

I have 3 more races this year and then plan to cool it and cross train over the winter.

How do I keep up my runs without burning out? I cannot figure out if I need to run MORE or LESS. It seems like I am having trouble getting a long run in, I end up quitting too soon, around 8 or 9 miles. And my 11 mile long run two weeks before my first half marathon was at an 8:35 pace. My last 8.5 mile run was a 9 min pace. So I am slowing. Although, I was TRYING to slow down the last run to maintain for longer but still ended up quitting.

Here is my most recent cardio schedule. A couple of days a week I do weights for 20-30 minutes but I do not go crazy.

10/8-2nd half marathon

10/12 5 Mile run

10/14 5K race. PR

10/15 9 mile run

10/17 30 mins elliptical-easy

10/18 2 Mile run (could hardly complete this)

10/20 8 mile run (with some hills)

10/21 Stair mill 25 mins/rowing 15 mins

10/24 8.5 miles w/ hills (I was shooting for 10-11 miles but could not complete)

What I planned to do from here out is:

10/27 3 Miles

10/28 45-60 minute nature walk

10/29 Stairmill 30 mins 45 mins rowing

10/30 8 mile (w/ some hills)

11/1 3 Mile

11/3 3 mile

11/5 15K race

11/8 3 Mile

11/12 3rd Half Marathon

11/16 3 Mile

11/18 7 Mile

11/23 10K Race

Any advice on how to maintain long runs while recovering? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I was seriously contemplating taking a full 6 days off prior to my next Half. Letting the 15K race be my last run.

an amazing likeness

I assume this is fictional, but if not slow down your training runs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is very detailed and a little hard to sort through. I think the easiest way to tell if you're overtraining is by starting with your miles per week since starting. Giving us a few runs here and there is not enough info. Hopefully you have that logged. That'll help us judge if you're doing too much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ironictruth

This is very detailed and a little hard to sort through. I think the easiest way to tell if you're overtraining is by starting with your miles per week since starting. Giving us a few runs here and there is not enough info. Hopefully you have that logged. That'll help us judge if you're doing too much.

It is not logged. Being new at this I had not kept an official log but most, not all, of my runs were put in a calendar.  I guess I would say 15-25 miles from the start of august on. A couple of weeks with just 12 miles for recovery.

ironictruth

I assume this is fictional, but if not slow down your training runs.

It is not fictional. Why would you think that?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ll assume that you are genuine as I’m new here and don’t know if time wasters are a regular thing on this forum...

You really need to back off on all these race and start training properly and I’m surprised that you haven’t got injured yet.

You need to build up your endurance/mileage to get faster and that means mostly easy miles. You can still race to gauge fitness gains, but not as often as you’ve been doing!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

runmichigan

The simple rule is that you need to slow down to go faster.  Your long run and most of your runs during the week should be at an easy pace - one where you could carry on a conversation without straining for a breath.  The fact that you ran one of your long runs at a pace near 8:00 minutes per mile when your 5K PR pace is around 7:48 per mile tells me you are essentially racing all your training runs.  You are definitely fatigued and over trained  Cut back on your mileage and slow down few weeks.

ironictruth

Thanks everyone!

I saw the races AS training but am realizing now that it is too hard to tell yourself to go slow during them.

I tried last night keeping my pace slow for my projected 11 mile run, which fell short at 8.5 miles. It is hard to do initially. It almost feels unnatural. I did do it at a 9 min pace and obviously my body is not handling that well.

I feel I committed to the next three races so will have to do them. But I will make efforts to stop "racing" my training runs as you suggest. I did not feel like my weekly mileage was outrageous, but maybe it is just too much effort.

That being said, You have given me a great idea indirectly. I do seem to naturally go slower on the treadmill. I know most people say it is easier but I find the treadmill harder (perhaps my stride or it is just boring). So maybe I will aim to do my remainder training runs on that as I can manually set the pace to go slower.

I plan to take time this winter to focus on cross-training and strength and back off of running. Maybe just a couple of 3 mile treadmill runs weekly.  Come spring, I will be less stupid and sign up for just a few races from summer to fall. It will be cheaper! At the end of November, I would have done 12 since late June. I honestly did not think that was overboard, but if I am on here asking if it is overboard, it probably is.

I do have a nagging groin/hip ache and my left glute hurts. But when either act up, I take a couple of days off, stretch, use the roller, use a Tens unit, ice, hot tub, etc. I was nervous last night about getting a potential injury.

I may take the rest of this week off and resume next week just using the treadmill for pace slowing.

I have some inflammation and damage to my small intestine and some other wacky symptoms. Long before running. I do not want to make anything worse!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I agree that you are racing too much.

I would not cut back so much in the winter.

You could do just do 3 runs but run longer than 3 miles.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

ironictruth

Thank you! I will re-evaluate for the winter and try to keep some longer slower runs.

I guess I should have joined one of these forums sooner!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I would add that you are currently running way too long for given runs. Some people can get away with this, but it's clear you're having some trouble.

It really depends who you ask, but I would keep your long run at 33% or less of your weekly mileage. And to be honest, I wouldn't even have a long run at this point. I would just focus on getting your weekly mileage up to 30 mpw (SLOWLY over the winter), and then begin adding a 10 mile long run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

You are racing way, way too much. I myself am a reformed “way, way too much racer”...but even then, my races were mostly 5K’s and miles. I would do a half maybe once or twice a year. A 9 miler that I do every year. That’s about it as far as long races.

I have been running for a long time—since 1994–and I’m just getting back into it after a foot surgery. When I set my PR’s, I was running around probably 40 miles per week. One day was a long run (10-14 miles, at an easy pace), one day was a tempo run (at least 1 Mile warm up and 1 Mile cool down and no more than 3 miles at tempo pace), and one day was track intervals, ranging from 400’s to 1000’s, with the total “work” miles being around 5K. Every other day of the week was e-a-s-y pace. Like 9:00/mile, as compared to my 5K race pace of under 7:00/mile. One day was completely a rest day, no running.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

ironictruth

You are racing way, way too much. I myself am a reformed “way, way too much racer”...but even then, my races were mostly 5K’s and miles. I would do a half maybe once or twice a year. A 9 miler that I do every year. That’s about it as far as long races.

I have been running for a long time—since 1994–and I’m just getting back into it after a foot surgery. When I set my PR’s, I was running around probably 40 miles per week. One day was a long run (10-14 miles, at an easy pace), one day was a tempo run (at least 1 Mile warm up and 1 Mile cool down and no more than 3 miles at tempo pace), and one day was track intervals, ranging from 400’s to 1000’s, with the total “work” miles being around 5K. Every other day of the week was e-a-s-y pace. Like 9:00/mile, as compared to my 5K race pace of under 7:00/mile. One day was completely a rest day, no running.

Thank you, Yes, I am going to tone down the racing next year. I just got caught up in the fun! Until it stopped being fun. My health symptoms cause issues as well. I always felt as long as I could run, I knew I was ok. I do not want to lose that!

I do need to survive the races I signed up for thus far through next month though. I may look at seeing if I can defer the last half marathon on November 12th to next year. I can do that up until 10/31. But then I lose half of what I paid. Additionally, someone I know sort of signed up for it last minute because my being registered was a deciding factor, so I would feel guilty not going! I guess I have a week to decide.

I am thinking 10:00 to 10:30 minute pace for 10-12 miles on the treadmill for long runs? Does that make sense if my first half was a 8:39 pace?

Love the username!

NorthNorthwest

I'm not going to pile on training advice since the point has already been made and received.

But since it seems like you really like doing races, a few thoughts:

1) There's nothing to preclude you from still doing frequent races - but just run most of them at a slower pace as if they're a training run. (Kind of an expensive way to get your training in...but hey, if you don't judge my drinking expenses I won't judge your racing expenses) Still keep in mind overall distance...too many miles at a really easy pace is still too many miles. Some of my favorite running experiences have been when I did a race nice and slow with friends and savored the whole experience instead of destroying myself on the course.

2) If it's the social and community aspect you enjoy, look into any local running clubs or training groups if you haven't already. That's also a great way to learn the ropes as a newer runner.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So is your goal to get faster...or just continue running a lot of races?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)