Scaring people while running (Read 1036 times)

Yeah, I doubt the flimsy wire would have done much!  But at least there was some pretense of a barrier--out here many of our regional parks share land with cattle, so the cows can be out there right on the trail with you.  Usually if I see a bunch of them I'll turn off and take a different trail to avoid confrontations between them and the dogs, but the time they tried to chase us there really wasn't any other way back to the car so we had to go right past them.

Ultra Cowboy

Yeah, Momma Cows with babies can get real protective, especially when Coyotes are an issue.  I used to have a stock dog who could bring the cows to the corral just baiting the cows right in front of them.   I always got real nervous when a young dog would bark and then run to me for safety.

WYBMADIITY

Save

I never have to worry about this, because honestly, I never pass anyone. I am so slow, I am the one getting passed. Or I am on a treadmill. Smile

FSBD

Early last summer I was running down an empty country road with my headphones on.  I was at about mile 15 of an 18 miler which was to be my longest run to date at that point. It was also a very hilly course.  It was recommended to me by a lady who runs ultras on a regular basis as a good place to do hills.  (She is running Western States this year so she knows her hills.)

So by that point I was sucking wind and zoning into my music just to get myself home.  I also had a wedding to go to that day so I was very focused on getting home so that I wouldn't be late for it.  

All of a sudden this hand grabs my shoulder.  Well I must have jumped a mile straight up in the air.  I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack.  

The lady running past me starts apologizing profusely saying that she didn't want to scare me by just passing me on the inside so she thought it was best to alert me somehow.  

Needless to say grabbing my shoulder was not the answer.  

Took me several minutes to recover from that one.  

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yeah, I doubt the flimsy wire would have done much!  But at least there was some pretense of a barrier--out here many of our regional parks share land with cattle, so the cows can be out there right on the trail with you.  Usually if I see a bunch of them I'll turn off and take a different trail to avoid confrontations between them and the dogs, but the time they tried to chase us there really wasn't any other way back to the car so we had to go right past them.

Wow, that sounds...interesting!  I have been out running with loose cows around, but they're not supposed to be that way.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

god hates us all

Many of my runs are in pre-dawn darkness.  Once I saw a couple getting out of cab about 100 yds ahead.  They were loud and laughing, obviously coming home from a late night of partying.  I was sure they must have seen me - there was no other traffic and no one else around.  They walked down a side street which is exactly where I was going.  I turned maybe 5 seconds after they did and came up behind them.  The guy saw me and struck a defensive pose and yelled "ahhhwhatsgoingonhere!!!" and the girl jumped behind him and screamed like she was in a horror movie - all of which scared ME half to death.  They figured it out in a moment of course.  I might have mumbled "sorry" or something.  I heard their nervous laughter behind me.  I'm surprised someone living nearby didn't call the police.

The funny part is that months later I'm coming down the same street, same time of day and see the same couple getting out of car at the same exact place.  I coughed, scuffled and whatever I could do to make some noise.  They went down the same street, I turned and they were surprised once again!  The reaction wasn't quite as bad the second time but enough to get everyone's heart pumping.

If I see them again I'll just turn down a different street.

Chantilly75

I never had a dog problem, but one day @ 5 AM, I was shocked to have a very large Staffie/Rotti cross (>100 lbs.) start running along beside me. I was very surprised, but managed to say something friendly, and the dog just trotted alongside me for several blocks, then turned off.

Oh, and I used to have to walk to school from a farm in Grades 1 & 2, and the neighbours'  large pigs would chase us along the fence.  I was terrified of them!

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

chaquita73

I never have to worry about this, because honestly, I never pass anyone. I am so slow, I am the one getting passed. Or I am on a treadmill. Smile

Unfortunately, I have a +1 to add to that! Smile

keeponrunning

The cows part I can laugh at and relate to.  The bull part...........I would've had dirty knickers by the time I got home.  A few summers ago there was a herd that didn't get startled (they saw me coming for a couple miles), but would run with me everytime I went past them.  I was more afraid of the farmer coming after to me for skinnying up his meat cows Wink

I ask myself that every time it happens, too.  Usually they see me coming from a ways away (depending on the foliage, whether the road has turned, etc.) and are pretty mellow about it once I get to them.  But every once in awhile, for whatever reason, even if they appear to see me coming, one or two will get startled when I get within 20-30 feet, and then the whole herd gets scared and starts running away.

One time, the bull didn't like this at all, and charged toward me.  Yes, there was a flimsy barbed-wire fence between us.  No, it didn't look like it would stop a two-ton bull if he decided to press the issue.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Intentionally Blank

As someone who spooks easily when folks come up behind me, I can say that I generally appreciate humming or whistling, or a spoken word of warning.  Somehow your acknowledging me makes me feel safer.  When I feel someone come up behind me without making their presence knows, the hair on the back of my neck rises.  I would rather be startled by a voice than by a body coming up behind me.

Ojo

Someone scared me yesterday morning!  I was running in the dark during the snowstorm and it was very peaceful and quiet because of the school delay.  A dog walker that I see everyday was still in her driveway and I didn't notice her.  She said hello and I really rattled me!  It actually took a few minutes for my heart rate to slow down.  Blush

Sara

MM #2929

UsednAbused

call out

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I never had a dog problem, but one day @ 5 AM, I was shocked to have a very large Staffie/Rotti cross (>100 lbs.) start running along beside me. I was very surprised, but managed to say something friendly, and the dog just trotted alongside me for several blocks, then turned off.

Every once in awhile, that happens to me too, and I love it.  Such a nice change from the dog encounters I usually have.

In fact, just tonight I had a reunion with "Blackie" (my name for her), a border collie that will run with me for as long as I'll let her.  Haven't seen her on that route in awhile, but tonight, there she was!  Last time we went out, she ran a seven-mile loop twice around with me.  We got back to the band hall, I gave her some water, and since I knew she had to be worn out, I gave her a ride back to the house she joined me in front of.  After all that, crazy dog raced me driving back to the school.  And won.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

CT JEFF

Driving tonight, saw a runner at 6:45pm. Or rather, I saw reflective tape coming at me. Its too dark at 6:45pm to be running on a busy road.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

jules2

If you look like me you scare everybody every time you run.

One Winter on the only unlit section of one of my regular runs I just saw someone heading towards me and luckily we both moved to our left and brushed shoulders as the path is narrow had we hit head on I think we would both have been out for the count.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.