Sun Protective Wide Brimmed Hats? (Read 1148 times)

tomatolover

My face is super sensitive to the sun and I always wear SPF 50 and a visor when running, but the visor's just not cutting it.  I'm looking for something with full face protection that's meant for running.  Any suggestions or recommendations?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have seen SPF 100 out there lately.

Lots of good sun protective clothing out there, for example here.

http://www.sunprecautions.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I have seen SPF 100 out there lately.

For SPF-100 to be a reasonable purchase for running for an hour and a half, your skin would have to be so sensitive to sunlight that you get burned in under a minute.  You'd probably be an albino . . . or a vampire.

SPF is basically a multiplier for how long your skin can go w/o burning.  Big SPF numbers are basically a marketing ripoff.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ilp

runningwarehouse sells "drape hats": http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-RH.html -- should be available for a test run at your local running store too.

Try putting on more sunscreen. Many people under-apply. E.g. going to the beach, you're supposed to use a whole ounce on your body (that's usually a third of a small sunscreen bottle).

Half the proper amount of sunscreen reduces its effectiveness by a square root. So your SPF 50 can easily go to SPF 7 if you under-apply.

xor

...and make sure you are wearing "broad spectrum" (UVA+UVB) sunscreen.

Sunscreen also expires.  While many medications/substances are pretty much fine after expiration***, I dunno whether sunscreen is or not, so I've always been cautious.

And I have tropical genes and very brown skin.

*** This past weekend, while running in Dallas, I fell on the pavement and scraped my arm really badly.  My father, being my father, trotted out some mercurochrome. I know, I know.  Half of you are saying "wtf is that".  The other half of you are chuckling.

The expiration date on the bottle?  1983.  29 years ago.  SWEEET.

What happened to mercurochrome?

Cntrygal

...and make sure you are wearing "broad spectrum" (UVA+UVB) sunscreen.

Sunscreen also expires.  While many medications/substances are pretty much fine after expiration***, I dunno whether sunscreen is or not, so I've always been cautious.

And I have tropical genes and very brown skin.

*** This past weekend, while running in Dallas, I fell on the pavement and scraped my arm really badly.  My father, being my father, trotted out some mercurochrome. I know, I know.  Half of you are saying "wtf is that".  The other half of you are chuckling.

The expiration date on the bottle?  1983.  29 years ago.  SWEEET.

What happened to mercurochrome?

LOL  It wouldn't suprise me if my mom still had some.

Cntrygal

I'm fair-skinned and burn very easily.  I have had good luck with buying the "baby" sunblock and most recently the Sport Perfomance by Banana Boat.  I've been using the SPF/UVB 50, which I like when I run because it's non-greasy and seems to absorb into my skin better than others. 

tomatolover

I've been wearing ELTA 50 SPF/UVA water resistant sunscreen for the last couple of years.  I put on a super generous pump before leaving my house to do anything, be it to run, do laundry, et al.  I generally don't go outside without something on my head, generally a large straw hat when not running and a RoadRunner sport visor when I am running.  I can't believe it, though it's true: I've turned into a crazy hat lady.

I'm curious about the Solumbra hats and RA users experiences with this style (especially the back flap)  as I"m not too geeked on wearing the full on Sixelagogo-of-Arabia look if it's not both comfortable & workable with longish girl-hair (one of the reasons I wear a visor vs. a hat is that my hair has nowhere to go with a hat).   

thanks all!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For SPF-100 to be a reasonable purchase for running for an hour and a half, your skin would have to be so sensitive to sunlight that you get burned in under a minute.  You'd probably be an albino . . . or a vampire.

SPF is basically a multiplier for how long your skin can go w/o burning.  Big SPF numbers are basically a marketing ripoff.

This would be true but for that: a) most users don't put on nearly enough sunscreen (per above post) so that you really are only getting a small fraction of what they think they are getting, and b) there is almost no good science or consumer protection around sunscreen protection claims. So while SPF is a multiplier, the only thing we know for sure is that it multiplies the concentration of the active ingredient(s). Unless you slather it on in a thick, visible layer and don't rub it in/off, you are not really protecting yourself as well as you believe. One way to combat this is to increase SPF.

Why is it sideways?

So, is the recommendation that we slather on a thick, visible layer of 100 SPF sunscreen before we go for a 90 minute run?

No thanks.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Most white people don't burn in under 15min of direct sunlight.  But even if 15min were the marker SPF-15 would make it 4hrs until sunburn.  Even if you went skimpy and applied half the recommended amount, you're still safely within 1hr 45mins.  Plenty for all but your Long run -- and who the heck does that in the bright of mid-day?

Just run before the sun comes up -- problem solved . Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

So, is the recommendation that we slather on a thick, visible layer of 100 SPF sunscreen before we go for a 90 minute run?

No thanks.

Yeah, I don't do that.

But I do apply a good layer of broad-spectrum, water-resistant, high-SPF sunscreen for virtually every run outdoors, since I was ~22.  I still end up with a light tan by the end of summer (I don't ALWAYS put on suncreen when I go outside, I'm in and out a lot) but I have not had a burn or anything close to it in many years.

I think what Trent cautions against is a sense of false security.  I don't have the data at hand but this phenomenon has been well-studied, false believe that narrow-spectrum sunscreens protect from melanoma has actually been shown to lead to INCREASED cancer rates as people spend more time out in the sun because they think they are protected.

It's personal risk management in the end.  I know people that are so afraid of going out in the sun that they basically seclude themselves indoors all summer.  That's not living, IMHO.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Most white people don't burn in under 15min of direct sunlight.  But even if 15min were the marker SPF-15 would make it 4hrs until sunburn.  Even if you went skimpy and applied half the recommended amount, you're still safely within 1hr 45mins.  

These calculations assume a sufficient initial application, AND that that amount stays consistent.  If you are sweating it off, the protection time would drop significantly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, I don't do that.

But I do apply a good layer of broad-spectrum, water-resistant, high-SPF sunscreen for virtually every run outdoors, since I was ~22.  I still end up with a light tan by the end of summer (I don't ALWAYS put on suncreen when I go outside, I'm in and out a lot) but I have not had a burn or anything close to it in many years.

I think what Trent cautions against is a sense of false security.  I don't have the data at hand but this phenomenon has been well-studied, false believe that narrow-spectrum sunscreens protect from melanoma has actually been shown to lead to INCREASED cancer rates as people spend more time out in the sun because they think they are protected.

It's personal risk management in the end.  I know people that are so afraid of going out in the sun that they basically seclude themselves indoors all summer.  That's not living, IMHO.

That makes sense to me.

I run outside a bunch (though usually in the mornings and evenings when the sun is not direct) and I don't wear sunscreen for these runs. I never get burned. Is this dangerous?

#artbydmcbride

You may not be getting burned, but you won't stay as smooth and wrinkle-free as that creamy faced Spaniel.  Cool

Runners run