So-called "Mini Marathons" (Read 343 times)

joescott

Is this just an Indiana thing, to call half marathons "mini marathons"? What's next? A 5K that is called a "Mini 10K"? I find this odd ...

Yes, it's odd.  None in this area, thankfully.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

C-R

I prefer to run ultra-mini-marathons.

I didn't take you for a 50k guy. Go figure.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In southern Indiana, northern Kentucky and parts of Ohio, the word Mini Marathon refers to Half Marathons. I have seen that since I was a kid, some several decades.

At the Nashville Country Music Marathon, the Mini Marathon is (was?) a 2.62 mile race.

DDXD

Slower than I look

I just got done running RnR Arizona HM and they had an odd mini-marathon that followed our course for a bit and then split off and went their own way.  I think someone said it was a 10k but I'm not sure.  All I know is that it merged back with us around mile 12 and suddenly I was blocked by some very out of shape slow runners.  It made for a strange finish flying past these people after running mainly with even paced runners for so long.  It must have been rather disheartening for them as well.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Welcome to the neighborhood Duckworth. Run for the Sam Costa "Halt Marathon" in Carmel and then do the free Anti-Mini in Zionsville. That should make you feel better.

Oh and yeah the mini thing is funny. You can call it Al and it's still 13.1.

Thanks, C-R. The Sam Costa (and the Carmel Marathon) goes past my house. I may do the Sam Costa. I'm already registered for Carmel. And I'll avoid "mini marathons" until, inevitably, I get numb to this this odd half marathon nomenclature and embrace it as somehow normal.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, C-R. The Sam Costa (and the Carmel Marathon) goes past my house. I may do the Sam Costa. I'm already registered for Carmel. And I'll avoid "mini marathons" until, inevitably, I get numb to this this odd half marathon nomenclature and embrace it as somehow normal.

Never heard of a "mini" until I moved to Indy.

Carmel is a well-run event.  The anti-Mini is a nice low-key event, free and self-timed.  It's on a pretty trail just don't plan on any PRs (switchbacked boardwalk up and down 3 times).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At the Barkley 100, the 60-mile option (40-hour cutoff, which most runners don't make) is called the "fun run".

I've always found that an entertaining reinterpretation of the phase "fun run". I mean, entertaining as long as I stay a long distance away from it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

Carmel is a well-run event.  The anti-Mini is a nice low-key event, free and self-timed.  It's on a pretty trail just don't plan on any PRs (switchbacked boardwalk up and down 3 times).

Oh yeah. Carmel Half Marathon is a very well run event and fun to run.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AnneCA

The "mini-marathon" name goes way back.

L'eggs_Mini-Marathon

Not sure why this page only lists results through 1980 - it still exists.  It was the first race I ran, in . . . 1989 or 1990.  But, you know, those women's-only races, people just bucket list them and never stick with running.

Feeling the growl again

Oh yeah. Carmel Half Marathon is a very well run event and fun to run.

Well, I was not specific as the Carmel Marathon is also well run...just not as fun.  But that's because marathons are just not as much fun as HMs... Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

L'eggs_Mini-Marathon

Not sure why this page only lists results through 1980 - it still exists.  It was the first race I ran, in . . . 1989 or 1990.  But, you know, those women's-only races, people just bucket list them and never stick with running.

Yeah, I remember I ran one of those "mini-marathons" in 1980 or 1981. They were fun, but even then I thought the name was strange, especially since it followed the same course used by many 10k race events in Central Park.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

L'eggs_Mini-Marathon

Maybe that's  when NYRR took over maintaining the results. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

The Mini Marathon has been around a looooong time. There's one way back in 1972 -- the Crazylegs Mini Marathon.  It's still going making it one of the oldest races in the country (and women-only)   Apparently "mini" had to do with miniskirts (according to wikipedia). Annoyingly they called it a marathon, though it was a 10k.   Now Oakley sponsors it.   It's now called a mini-10k, and while I don't recall seeing any mini skirts, the current outfits aren't bad either  ;-)

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013/oakley-new-york-mini-10k

Not to say this is not also an Indiana thing.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

SillyC

This is the New York Mini?

The Mini Marathon has been around a looooong time. There's one way back in 1972 -- the Crazylegs Mini Marathon.  It's still going making it one of the oldest races in the country (and women-only)   Apparently "mini" had to do with miniskirts (according to wikipedia). Annoyingly they called it a marathon, though it was a 10k.   Now Oakley sponsors it.   It's now called a mini-10k, and while I don't recall seeing any mini skirts, the current outfits aren't bad either  ;-)

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013/oakley-new-york-mini-10k

Not to say this is not also an Indiana thing.

That was my first 10K!  Oh, that's a great race!  Love or hate the name, it's a really good time. They do a fantastic job with the corrals.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

This is the New York Mini?

That was my first 10K!  Oh, that's a great race!  Love or hate the name, it's a really good time. They do a fantastic job with the corrals.

I did the Mini back in 2012 with some friends back in 2012. It was the 40th anniversary. I enjoyed the race itself, but getting there was a clusterfuck for me (long story). Probably the only reason I wouldn't do it again.