TechO Discover GPS (Read 927 times)

Feeling the growl again

Because I am an idiot and have not donated money yet I still see the ads. Wink

One has been for this new running GPS offering.  My ancient Garmin 201 is still limping reliably along but if it went tomorrow I'd want an idea what to get.  The new Garmins are WAY expensive for what percentage of the functionality I would use -- and large.  I basically use distance, average pace, total time, lap time, and lap average pace....that's it.

These TechO/Discover units are cheaper and appear much smaller.  It looks like they are just coming out?  Anyone seen or used one yet?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I haven't  used the TechO. I see that a Garmin 110, which seems to have the features you like and is smallish, is on sale for $149 here.

So far am a happy user of Garmin 110 after my 205 died (kind of- it will limp on if I glue it back together again).  If you don't care about Heart rate, then the 110 will do the job.   The watch is fairly small and not much bigger than a Timex

Happyfeet, does the 110 show current pace?

Feeling the growl again

None of them show it accurately....that I have used.  Too much variation in the point measurements without averaging and smoothening.  Last I tried one I got on a bike maintaining a constant speed on the bike computer at 10mph and the GPS was throwing paces across a 30sec range...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

It shows the pace for the current lap, not current instantaneous pace which is rather useless anyway  as Spaniel points out it can vary quite dramatically for no good reason, (actually the reason is it needs enough data points to smooth out the pace readings and small errors in distance measurement can throw off the instant pace off a lot).

The bigger deal is I am yet to figure out if I can change the current default main display which is either the total time for the workout or the Current HR.  Some might want to see the total distance or the lap distance as the main field which I think can be done on the 210.

MTA. Correction, the display fields are the same for the most part in the 210 and 110 and not configurable like in the 205 and others. except once can see instant pace on the 210 (not sure how I don't have the Unit), and also intervals mode is not available on the 110.

Feeling the growl again

MTA. Correction, the display fields are the same for the most part in the 210 and 110 and not configurable like in the 205 and others. except once can see instant pace on the 210 (not sure how I don't have the Unit), and also intervals mode is not available on the 110.

Wow, they don't let you configure what fields appear where on the screen?  That seems like an unnecessary step backwards...

The 210 and 110 were made to be brain dead simple (and keep the watch small), not much one can change except the mode.  The 610 tries to fix that, but that is a touch screen now, which is quite unnecessary I think (I can push buttons fine) and quite expensive for this cheap guy.