Is running unhealthy for women? (Read 250 times)

Goforit2019

What is the chance I got have a cardiac event or an aorta tear if I run? I am 40 something female. I have run since I was 15 off and on over the years.

I was recently told that I should not run in the cold because my face will roughen and my nose will become purple with heavy wrinkles. They gave me examples of people who stayed outside and had rough skin.

I have not run because I am in a customer service role. I feel really awful. I think this person is jealous of me. I don't care about my face, but for my career it was made a request I stop running outside.

Now I have the fear of God in me. This person said, my tendons and arteries should be old in my 40s and too much vigorous exercise would hurt them. He said women have no historically run ever - especially white women with my physical characteristics. I am short with wide hips. He said there is no telling what such extremely physical exercise could do to my body. He said I could have a stroke, a heart attack or worse.

I have never thought of these things.

Next, he told me not to play softball which I have been playing since I was 7. He said if the ball hit me the right way, I could get a concussion or get a serious, irreparable injury, like my teeth could get knocked out or a broken bone.

The he told me not to play tennis because my Acl could tear.

Sounds weird, but because of the role I am in, I have listened to this guy.

I asked an orthopedic surgeon about the knee. And he said it is unlikely,. He said the benefits of exercise outweigh it..

I was thinking to go to a cardio person to have my heart scanned. Or a sports doctor if there is one.

This guy said throughout human history, there has been no  woman my age of my European background who has ever ran. He said it was too dangerous.

What do you think? Do you think he is jealous? I do get the feeling this person is a mysoginist because of other things they told me.

Or do you think what he says is valid? I thought if I go to a bunch of doctors and get cleared, then I can exercise like I used to.

I feel like a deflated wide load who would really like to go for a run.

Thanks

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Are you serious or just trying to troll here?

If you want to run, go run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This guy said throughout human history, there has been no  woman my age of my European background who has ever ran. He said it was too dangerous.

Has he been living in isolation with no news sources for the last century or so?  Women have been running for ages, even into their 60s and 70s, and most look 20 years younger than their age.  Some of them even run, Gasp!, farther than 5K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

With regards to skin, sunscreen all the time.

Seattle prattle

How did you choose your screen name?

berylrunner

Rick

No

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

berylrunner

Rick

With regards to skin, sunscreen all the time.

No, not necessary.   Most sunscreens are expensive and contain harmful chemicals.  Where do you get your vitamin D?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

NorNev

Don't run, running is hard and it sucks

Seattle prattle

Don't run, running is hard and it sucks

And the shoes. They're expensive. And  wear out.

kcam

What is the chance I got have a cardiac event or an aorta tear if I run? I am 40 something female. I have run since I was 15 off and on over the years.

I was recently told that I should not run in the cold because my face will roughen and my nose will become purple with heavy wrinkles. They gave me examples of people who stayed outside and had rough skin.

I have not run because I am in a customer service role. I feel really awful. I think this person is jealous of me. I don't care about my face, but for my career it was made a request I stop running outside.

Now I have the fear of God in me. This person said, my tendons and arteries should be old in my 40s and too much vigorous exercise would hurt them. He said women have no historically run ever - especially white women with my physical characteristics. I am short with wide hips. He said there is no telling what such extremely physical exercise could do to my body. He said I could have a stroke, a heart attack or worse.

I have never thought of these things.

Next, he told me not to play softball which I have been playing since I was 7. He said if the ball hit me the right way, I could get a concussion or get a serious, irreparable injury, like my teeth could get knocked out or a broken bone.

The he told me not to play tennis because my Acl could tear.

Sounds weird, but because of the role I am in, I have listened to this guy.

I asked an orthopedic surgeon about the knee. And he said it is unlikely,. He said the benefits of exercise outweigh it..

I was thinking to go to a cardio person to have my heart scanned. Or a sports doctor if there is one.

What do you think? Do you think he is jealous? I do get the feeling this person is a mysoginist because of other things they told me.

Or do you think what he says is valid? I thought if I go to a bunch of doctors and get cleared, then I can exercise like I used to.

I feel like a deflated wide load who would really like to go for a run.

Thanks

What country do you live in?  I can't ever see anyone ever, EVER telling an employee what to do on their own time here in the US.  Sunscreen your face and wear a hat or run early in the morning or late in the evening.  You'll be fine.

Gizmo2019

And the shoes. They're expensive. And  wear out.

😂😂😂

ahhh the shoes...

F this guy.

I understand that you may not have the rule of law behind you, depending on where you live. Just know that in many places in the world, you’d have a solid legal case against your employer for allowing this man to harass you on the basis of your sex and ethnicity (European background?) 

Also, you already know this, but none of what he told you is true.

rlopez

Yall.

It is 2019.

Don't feed the troll. He's just an asshole.

Don't feed the troll. He's just an asshole.

He? I was thinking kk.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

He? I was thinking kk.

I don't think kk has been on RA in ages, at least not in any of the forums or groups I frequent.  This does not feel like her touch.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.