For those that run a marathon with garmin... (Read 629 times)

Bugs

Do you have it on auto lap or do you hit the lap button yourself? Seems obvious that you're going to have to run further than 26.2 miles because of the turns or in my case an out of the way port-a-potty. I'm not sure I like running the marathon with garmin, not that it would have made a bit of difference that last 10K. Sad

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Autolap...one reason I got my Garmin was because I wanted a rough idea of my lap paces, but could never remember to hit the lap button reliably.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Don't forget to disable auto-pause or your time will be screwed up. I just hit laps every 5 miles.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

When I wear it I let it autolap so that I don't have to bother myself with pushing the button. It gives me a general idea of how well I'm running tangents based on how much farther off from the mile marker I am each time it beeps at me. By the end of the race, it's an audible warning that a mile marker is coming up. Wink

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

I always manually lap in races. The longer the race the more off it can be - my last marathon "measured" 26.51 It can be kind of confusing near the end when the brain is fuzzy to know whether you are on pace or not. I use my timed splits. My friend running PDX was using autolap and she said for awhile she was confused thinking she was right on the edge of BQ and starting to get her hopes up (she originally went in just wanting to break 4 hrs, so BQ wasnt a goal). Because her "average pace" was really close to BQ average pace. But her real pace was slower

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

My last marathon was 26.59, avg pace 9:07 which was actually sub-four pace, my goal. However with the .5 added I was over. But I'm like Blaine, where I like the beep even when it's off because it feels good to hit "another marker". I'm undecided. I like running with a pacer so I don't have to worry about it.

Bugs

I push the lap button and use the lap pace as an indicator of my pace in the current mile. I don't use the instantaneous pace because it's unreliable. But to be honest, I think the Garmin is more accurate than the mile markers at most races.
                  I prefer to manual lap in races so I can be more precise. The first mile or two of Twin Cities was through downtown buildings and dense tree cover so I was off from the start! Like afty I like seeing the exact time for the mile so I can put the instantaneous pace out of my mind.