What is your price limit for a 5k (day of registration) (Read 380 times)

Julia1971

Speaking of price limits:

Do any of you set a race budget for year?  If so, what is it and does it include additional costs (hotel, airfair, etc...)?

No budget for me.  I have a "no traveling for races" rule that I've only broken for Boston 2012 so far (but I planned to break for NYCM).  There are so many races in my area on any given weekend there's really no reason for me to travel.  I think I spent $1,500 or so just on hotel and airfare for Boston and was going to spend about that much on NYCM.

delicate flower

$25-$30 for me seems reasonable, but I'll pay whatever if I have friends doing it and it's something I really want to do.  I haven't seen any 5Ks that go much beyond that anyway for day-of registrations, so that hasn't been an issue yet.

<3

Slo

I wouldn't do a 5k for $30.

$25 would be the max I would pay.

It seems that that it's the large venues like the Race for The Cure and other Mega Charities that are asking the higher prices. I do not care for those highly attended races. They provide more frustration for me than pleasure.

I like the low key 300 people or less races. These are run by local charities that tend to be 100% volunteer organizations. No 6 figure CEO salaries to pay.

I'm holding back a full on rant but we participants are to blame for some of these high price entry fees.

#1 We're stupid enough to pay them.

#2 Why does a low key charity race that has less than 350 people need chip timing?

#3 Awards aren't cheap either...Yet I know people who will attend races depending on the AG divisions weather they ar 5 year or 10yr.

There's lots of other things that raise the price of races...If you're not the Susan Komen Race for the Cure do you really need to turn the 5k into an event?

Julia1971

I just did some clicking around and it looks like $30-$40 is standard not unusual in my area.  In fact, I found 2 5Ks in the next two months that were $40.  I had no idea.  I'd make the worst The Price Is Right contestant ever.

zfish

King Rake

Yeah, $25 is about my limit, too... though I could be convinced to pay $30 if it was certified and chipped-

or if it included aforementioned plate of paste. Yum!

Literally lol'ed

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think $30 is reasonable for day of registration.  The purpose of the price increase is to deter people from registering day of.  It is tough to organize a race and tougher if you don't know how many people are going to show up.  I think $20-25 for a pre-registration is fair and a $5 tack on is also fair.  I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a 5k unless there was some gimmick that made it worth it or a "close to the heart" charity that I would donate to anyways.

For the bonus question: I try to keep my running expenditures to under $1000 a year.  That includes equipment, races, travel, etc.  I have found that that is plenty (for me) and I am not left wanting for more.

**Ask me about streaking**

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

No budget for me.  I have a "no traveling for races" rule that I've only broken for Boston 2012 so far (but I planned to break for NYCM).  There are so many races in my area on any given weekend there's really no reason for me to travel.  I think I spent $1,500 or so just on hotel and airfare for Boston and was going to spend about that much on NYCM.

Same here. I rarely pay to travel for races. I've done  Boston and stayed with family a couple of times. The only exception to this is when we do Philly and then we plan it as a weekend get-away; we drive there, stay in a nice hotel, do some sight-seeing. As for paying for local 5ks, I'll pay $30. My decision to race has more to do with how the race fits into my overall training plan so I guess I might pay a little more for a local race at the right distance on the right weekend.

Slo

The purpose of the price increase is to deter people from registering day of.  It is tough to organize a race and tougher if you don't know how many people are going to show up.  I think $20-25 for a pre-registration is fair and a $5 tack on is also fair.  I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a 5k unless there was some gimmick that made it worth it or a "close to the heart" charity that I would donate to anyways.

I disagree with much of this. (this may be a legit reason, I disagree with the reasoning)

Chip timing companies, in my personal experience, push really hard for the RD's to discourage race day registration because that is the greatest opportunity for an error to be entered into the database. The information is keyed in, sometimes by volunteers who do not understand the importance of what they are doing. Age groups get entered wrong, the registration is not legible, etc.

As far as planning, $5 dollars isn't enough  to entice me to register early. Niether is a T-Shirt. I don't know that far in advance if I need to work Saturday or not. I'd rather spend $25 and race than give up $20. Unless I'm training for something or it's a goal race I'm somewhat of a fair day racer.

Based on the races I'm involved with, (5k's) race day registration usually accounts for less than 15% of the total. We plan that into our numbers.

The way I see it...come race day, the planning is done, the money is spent. Wouldn't it be more prudent as a RD to maximize the return on investment and grab a few more entrants rather than slapping them across the wrist?

In the few races I help with, we get 80% of our pre race registrations in the last 2 weeks prior to the race. I see very little difference in planning difference 2 weeks out.

I'm coming at this from a small venue race...not one that draws 1k or more people.

I think race fees are one of those things that are just higher in Canada Sad  For big races in Toronto the EARLY sign up fees are usually between $30-40 never mind day of!

This was my thought too.  A lot of the races around here in NS, Canada are charity driven so it is not uncommon to see fees between $25 to $40.  Some are even higher for a 5km.

There are some groups that are starting to put on more simplistic races.  Come and run with snacks afterwards for $15 to $25.  Usually no medals, timing or swag.  A couple of draws at the end.  Just come and run.  Kind of nice that way.

DoppleBock

To the original poster's question - If it is a charity that I like to support, I really do not care.  If it is a non-charity or one that is not my favorite, I will not pay more than $20 for a 5k.

Either way - I think I only do race day registration once every 2 years ~ I usually plan ahead for my races.  If I feel like running hard some morning ~ I just run a speed workout.

My next 5k is $20 with a t-shirt / $25 race day.  $25 with running shorts / $30 race day.  Our family of 4 wil sign up in time for the $20x4 = $80 costs.

The 5 mile run we are doing tomorrow was $10 - no t-shirt or $15 with T-shirt in advance ... Add $5 for late registration.

I can usually find reasonably priced runs close to home

10k coming up is 12(no shirt) / 17 with shirt early and 15/20 late registration.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

The other things that has increase my costs dramatically is I have gotten my family involved.  They never train, but enjoy participating in events.  I was hoping this would get them interested in training ~ But it is still something we share in racing together.  This means half the events I do have 3 more entry fees.  Instead of sleeping in my car or getting up at 3 in the morning, it means a hotel etc.  But overall it is money well spent as it is family time.

For the longer races - We often make into a mini-vacation.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

GC100k

Probably $25 is my limit.

Me too.  Although I haven't done one in years, so maybe zero is my limit.

I was actually going to pay $30 or $35 on a whim at a local race for raceday registration.  They explained that raceday registration was only for "spirit runners".  I thought "fine, I don't care what you call me".  It took them awhile to get across that a "spirit racer" pays the registration fee but doesn't actually run.  WTH?

Gstrobe188

I don't pay over $25 for a 5K but its always me and my son running. I wish more events offer a no shirt option at a lower fee. I also refuse to use sites such as active.com to register because of "convenience" and/or  "processing" fees but thats a different soap box.

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

Resident Historian

Like many other, $20-25, max $30 if I really want to do it.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hoban-Jay

I don't pay over $25 for a 5K but its always me and my son running. I wish more events offer a no shirt option at a lower fee. I also refuse to use sites such as active.com to register because of "convenience" and/or  "processing" fees but thats a different soap box.

I agree 100% with the Active.com assesment.  Charging $3.00...or more for a service that at  $0.50 would grant them a profit is unconscienable.  I always request that the race director mail or e-mail a registration form to me if one is not available on their website.