2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Andres1045

Andres - how long did it take your metatarsalgia to heal? It's been 3 weeks now and it's not really getting better, I was wondering if I need to see a doctor to get something like a cortisone shot, or if I should expect this just to take a long time to heal up.

Maybe four weeks? It could have been a little more. It felt better right away, but was still bothersome. That kind of lingered for a while, then all of a sudden it went away. I think it's worth going to a podiatrist to make sure it's the same thing that I had, and not something else. Seems like there are a lot of podiatrist out there that aren't any good, but I found one that was great. He's a runner. He figured it out in less than 30 seconds. Grabbed my foot and said "it hurts here?" Yes. "It doesn't hurt here?" No. "Ok. you have a bruised metatarsal that won't heal because you run on it too much. Just wear this in your dress shoes for four hours a day until it goes away." The pad just lifted the specific metatarsal that was bruised so that it got a break for four-plus hours a day.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cool thanks for the quick reply! Your problem of not finding a good podiatrist is exactly what I'm worried about (as seen by the one who diagnosed me with a stress fracture 2 days before my marathon last year). I'll stick with the pads in my shoes and just see how it handles me getting back into running. It was crazy tender after my first run back, we'll see how it does going forward. If it bothers me for another week or two, maybe then I'll start searching out some good doctors.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kramrunner

Kram- what's your PF therapy look like? I'm doing heel dips, rolling calfs, hockey ball under the heel and rolling foot on a frozen water bottle a couple of times daily and using comfy shoes (nb 1800) for easy runs. I find I still have a few spare minutes each day so happy to incorporate anything else that might help 

Similar enough to you.

I have a tennis ball that I can be very aggressive with. General rolling of the ligament heading to the big toe and both lateral sides of the foot, and the heel as hard as I can take it depending on how sore things are. Other than that, I've been doing heel drops to strengthen achilles/calf and making sure to static stretch my calf a few time per day. I do some foot/angle movement before bed, i.e., sit down, straighten leg at knee and then do 10 cw rotation (use big toe as a guide), 10 ccw and 10 extend/retract foot. This really helps loosen and strengthen the peroneal and all those other little muscles. Finally, I donated a pair of shoes that were on the tight side, which I think were to blame for bringing this on as I upped mileage. All of that has it getting close to normal again, it's slow work though.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

kramrunner

I think it might be time for all of us to take a deep breath and realize how absurdly fast a sub 2:30 marathon is.

The pace discussion is pretty cool, but 2:30 is not anywhere near as intimidating now as it was when I was going after sub3 first time around. I think there are a few people here who, if they could find the time and stay injury free at the paces required, would be able to have a serious go at 2:30 (hint, hint!). There's a really great sub2:30 thread on letsrun if you really want to understand what it takes, and it's very impressive, not impossible.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8927494&page=15

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The pace discussion is pretty cool, but 2:30 is not anywhere near as intimidating now as it was when I was going after sub3 first time around. I think there are a few people here who, if they could find the time and stay injury free at the paces required, would be able to have a serious go at 2:30 (hint, hint!). There's a really great sub2:30 thread on letsrun if you really want to understand what it takes, and it's very impressive, not impossible.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8927494&page=15

I followed that thread all year. A lot of those guys had a ton of talent and ran in college, so it's a bit different for us. I would think for most people on this board, we need to average 80+ for a good 6 months to get there. The leap from 2:45 to 2:30 is immense though. It may be impossible for many without putting in 100+, which requires immense dedication, injury-luck, and weather-luck day of race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Swim5599

I followed that thread all year. A lot of those guys had a ton of talent and ran in college, so it's a bit different for us. I would think for most people on this board, we need to average 80+ for a good 6 months to get there. The leap from 2:45 to 2:30 is immense though. It may be impossible for many without putting in 100+, which requires immense dedication, injury-luck, and weather-luck day of race.

Let me put it this way.  DZ just broke 2:40 in NYC.  He was probably ready to run 2:38 in Boston in 2016 if the weather wasn’t so warm.  He put in 85-90 during that Boston cycle and he owns a collegiate 10,000 PR of right around 31 flat I believe.  So does he probably have the talent to get there yes.  But it would def require over 100 mpws for him.  No offense but none of us have that pedigree.  I would be shocked if any of us could get there.  Physiologically I kinda know where my ceiling is and it’s nowhere near there.  That kinda time requires a ton of talent.

Kram thanks for thinking it but I have no shot at that

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

The only guys in my area who hit sub 2.30 are local elite and have sub 15 min 5000m times.

Cal your wife wants you to look hot. Thats so shallow. We men never think like that about women 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Swim, there may be a few who have potential for close to 2.30 on here. Madison ran 2:37 on not huge mileage, and has done a 75 min half, so there is potential for him to get close. Marky Mark has run a 75 min half, on a hilly course, and has tons of potential if he chooses to focus on the marathon, though he prefers the half and shorter stuff. If you say 2:30 needs you at about 72 for a half, then they are not light years away. But it would take a lot of dedication, focus, and big mileage, for sure.

Also TN Weather, though he has not posted here for a while, is getting back and has a lot of potential. 74 min half PR which indicates a hell of an engine and he's done a 2:38 marathon.

That said I am generally on the optimistic side regarding other people's running/potential, so might seem unrealistic to others.

2:52:16 (2018)

I'd also add in JMac as a wildcard, since he's so young. His 2:46 at NYC is worth 2:42-2:43 on a flat course IMO. He also did that off of pretty low mileage. Given that he's only 31, he has a lot of time to build and improve. I wouldn't be surprised if he got down to 2:30 eventually.

2:52:16 (2018)

madisonrunner

Kram and JT, I appreciate the confidence.

After this cycle I thought sub 2:35 was possible (with everything going perfectly).  I also think I have more time to cut.  I fractured my ankle last December and didn't even start running until April this year, so I'm starting from a much better spot for my next cycle.

My plan for a Spring marathon is to follow Pfitz again but this time use his plan that peaks at 100+ miles per week (I peaked at 90 last cycle).  It seems reasonable that I could get into low 2:30s shape this Spring.  Then for my fall cycle try to take another step and go after 2:2X.

weatherboy80

Agree with JT as Madison with his back to backs and perhaps TN weather from the old boards immediately come to mind on those that might be closest to a 2:30.  Plus JMac certainty has a short term potential to get down to 2:40 if he remains injury free.  As for me, hoping something 2:40-2:45 could be in my future assuming I can tie in my recent fitness to some longer stuff again, but most of that depends on the weather and the race I choose.  Think I was close with better conditions last January.  But who knows where my ceiling is, but I didn't start running at all until I was close to 30.

And speaking of impressive age graded stuff we have well known 46 old in Orlando that just threw down a 2:30 at Chicago. For those that follow letsrun he goes by Smoove.  I think Kram follows him as well.  Plus he coaches some of my local running friends and is also a big Daniels guy.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

slingrunner

Cool thanks for the quick reply! Your problem of not finding a good podiatrist is exactly what I'm worried about (as seen by the one who diagnosed me with a stress fracture 2 days before my marathon last year). I'll stick with the pads in my shoes and just see how it handles me getting back into running. It was crazy tender after my first run back, we'll see how it does going forward. If it bothers me for another week or two, maybe then I'll start searching out some good doctors.

I feel your pain literally.  The day after my marathon, my metatarsalgia (which didn't effect me at all during the run) became horribly painful.  It's been 5 days since my marathon, and I'm still not able to walk properly as I have to avoid that spot in the foot.  Maybe I should go see my podiatrist too.  Are you using the same pads you sent in the link?

This is marathon 7 for me, and I think it's the worst recovery since my first marathon.  5 days out and both legs hurt, steps are difficult, I'm just getting regular energy back, and I can't walk comfortably, let alone even consider running.  Not sure why this one is putting a dent in me.  I'm afraid to check the scales, since I'm eating so much junk food after my 4 month diet

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

steve_