Feeling Drained..... (Read 664 times)

Chris UK

I managed to get in what I considered a decent HM time in April and was hoping to build on that. However I rather stupidly went out and trained hard the next day on tired legs and managed to strain a calf muscle. After a short while I found I could still train up to 5 miles with no further pain so I started doing 5-mile doubles. This was going great and as I was off to the Canary Islands for 2 weeks I was very happy that I would still be able to train in lovely warm weather. I stuck with my 5-mile doubles plan until the second day of my holiday. There is a nice shady area outside my apartments that I have used in previous years to stop for a drink. Here it is – what’s not to like?

I had just tipped my head back to take a drink when suddenly the ground gave way beneath me and before I could react I was 1 metre down a drain. Instant pain in my left ankle so I knew I had done something. The cockroaches were not nice but they were the least of my problems. I managed to drag myself out of the drain and hobble back to the apartments.

After a bit of frantic searching for numbers (Lanzarote = Spanish) we managed to phone for an ambulance and I went to the Arrecife hospital for an X-Ray. Luckily no break but I would need to be on crutches for 6 days and in plaster for 10 days. At least the pot would be off before we flew out as it can cause problems with insurance and fitness to fly.

Thankfully we were located near enough to the restaurants and bars to still enjoy our holiday. This is my leg after 10 days when the pot came off and the second picture is my elbow crutch in the drain showing the true depth.

Finally, this is me looking a whole lot happier 3 days after the cast came off. Our flight had been delayed due to UK airports being closed because of volcanic ash and we had been moved to a different town and hotel. So, all in all it was quite an eventful holiday. From 5-mile doubles I am now back down to 5-mile singles but feeling very lucky to be running at all.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Why is it sideways?

Glad you are back running! Sounds (and looks) very similar to what happened to me in February--except snow, not a drain! Sweet pics. (FWIW, now 3 months later, I'm about back to where I was when the injury happened, but I think training a bit smarter. Sometimes some forced time off helps.)

Yikes! Glad to hear you back running - scary to think how much worse that could have been.

Nice pics - especially that first one!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group