Pre-Dawn Running: Wildlife Protection? (Read 243 times)

flatland mountaineer

I live in Wisconsin, where our wolf and bear (black bear) population have greatly increased over the last 5-10 years.   I've seen many bears and coyotes since I usually start my runs in the 4:40am range most mornings as well.  Most of my long runs also take place at our cottage up North, so wildlife is abundant.   I've seen wolves while hunting, but I am yet to see one while running.  Personally, I don't get too alarmed since they usually just bolt as soon as you see them.   I don't carry any type of pepperspray or firearm, however, running with Pepper spray has crossed my mind in spring when the bears are coming out of hibernation and dropping their cubs.   They get pretty courageous when they are frantically looking for food for a few weeks there.

Instead of yelling and clapping, I've seen other runners up there that just attach a small bell to their shoes as well.  Maybe that could be another option for you.  I think you would just block the sound out after you wear it a few times.

the old joke which mostly pertains to areas where grizzly's frequent......

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces.  Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.  Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Personally I just use this, she has taken down mangy coyotes and whitetail does in my defense.

Jim Cooper

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Unrestrained and feral dogs are probably a greater hazard than coyotes in the eastern states and south. I used to do marathon training runs beginning at 4AM (out the door and running) in an area with coyote, coydogs and black bears. The deer, skunks, raccoons and opossums were fairly wary and stayed wide of me. As for wild hogs, short of a .44 caliber or larger hand gun staying away from them and being able to climb are in your best interests.

The wildlife really didn't discourage me and I actually looked forward to seeing or hearing them on my runs. One morning though I was warned of a black bear seen crossing where I was running and was much more alert to my surroundings. Black bears have weak eyesight but excellent smell, they also tend to shy away from people. As for western Brown & Grizzly, they are much less timid.

There isn't anything that exists at night that doesn't exist during the day. It is just that we tend to let our imaginations and fears get the better of us when we have reduced vision due to lower ambient light levels. A good high powered head lamp that uses 3 AA batteries and has a focusable beam will do more to allay your misgivings of running at night than anything else I could suggest.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

kcam

I do a fair amount of trail running on the mountain trails near my house in cupertino and have never been worried.  This attack has me a little skittish now, though.  Very near my house.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Mountain-lion-attacks-6-year-old-child-on-trail-5740141.php

Feeling the growl again

I do a fair amount of trail running on the mountain trails near my house in cupertino and have never been worried.  This attack has me a little skittish now, though.  Very near my house.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Mountain-lion-attacks-6-year-old-child-on-trail-5740141.php

Lions concern me more than grizzlies.  CA is especially bad because they have been allowed to over-populate.  Lions require huge ranges, so young cats get pushed into marginal territories where they are forced to be in proximity to people (they would rather not).  Almost all recent attacks have been young cats in such situations.  We have them in the midwest but they don't really concern me because they have plenty of room for territories (not many of them) so they are almost never even seen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JPF

Lions concern me more than grizzlies.  CA is especially bad because they have been allowed to over-populate.  Lions require huge ranges, so young cats get pushed into marginal territories where they are forced to be in proximity to people (they would rather not).  Almost all recent attacks have been young cats in such situations.  We have them in the midwest but they don't really concern me because they have plenty of room for territories (not many of them) so they are almost never even seen.

Attacks are still an extremely rare occurrence, though, given how many people tromp through the woods every day.  I'm sure you're much more likely to get attacked by a "domesticated" dog than a mountain lion.  Probably even on a trail!  The territory stuff goes both ways as well -- people keep pushing more into cat territory.  It's especially a problem where pockets of them get cut off from bigger ranges by development.

Feeling the growl again

Attacks are still an extremely rare occurrence, though, given how many people tromp through the woods every day.  I'm sure you're much more likely to get attacked by a "domesticated" dog than a mountain lion.  Probably even on a trail!  The territory stuff goes both ways as well -- people keep pushing more into cat territory.  It's especially a problem where pockets of them get cut off from bigger ranges by development.

Oh I'm not blaming the cats, they're just doing what they do.  The habitat loss and overpopulation is not their fault.

Yup, it's rare.  But unlike just about every other potential animal in the US (including dogs), they typically attack silently from behind without warning.  You don't know they are there until they have the back of your neck.

I've been attacked by dogs my share of times, I just shared a nasty attack from a pit bull mix on here several weeks ago.  But I knew he was coming.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Moose are the most dangerous here. There have been frequent local bear sightings this summer but no encounters. I have been a little more cautious this summer.

kcam

Mountain lions are all around the hills in the Bay Area.  Can get a little hair (and adrenaline) raising to hear the bushes rustling on a late evening or early morning run even though you KNOW it's just some birds or a rabbit.  I tell my friends who say the've never seen one that "You may have never seen one but I guarantee you that one has seen YOU!".

MIRich

I don't think about wildlife threats where I run. I guess skunks and dogs would be the biggest threat other than the 2 legged ones for me. If I were running in wolf country, a bell would be the last thing I would be carrying. In the U.P. people with dogs are warned by locals not to put a bell on Fido when in the woods frequented by wolves, since it's considered a dinner bell to them.

The Phoenix has risen! Recovered from my injury, and kickin' serious asphalt once again!