Replacing the long run (Read 186 times)

some call me Tim

So, my wife and I have had vastly different experiences, but both running long and serious training are newer and there's a planned break coming up. My wife has actually already begun and has switched to other exercise (swimming, bike trainer, weights) and complained to me this morning that although she knows she's getting decent workouts, she's missing the 'mental journey' that occurs on runs of longer than, say, 10 miles. It's a profoundly restorative experience, and about the only thing I've tried that approaches it is the primary series in Ashtanga yoga... and I'm not sure how similar the two really are. Any suggestions? What am I overlooking?

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Why can't you still run some on your break?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Joann Y

So, my wife and I have had vastly different experiences, but both running long and serious training are newer and there's a planned break coming up. My wife has actually already begun and has switched to other exercise (swimming, bike trainer, weights) and complained to me this morning that although she knows she's getting decent workouts, she's missing the 'mental journey' that occurs on runs of longer than, say, 10 miles. It's a profoundly restorative experience, and about the only thing I've tried that approaches it is the primary series in Ashtanga yoga... and I'm not sure how similar the two really are. Any suggestions? What am I overlooking?

From what I understand, you're saying you guys are taking a break from running and looking for the mental benefits of the long run. Not sure much else replaces it. Sustained intensity and focus is what I presume you are looking for. The zone. Does it have to be athletic? Depends on what you're into and how much effort you want to expend. Skiing really fast downhill, reading Proust, and weed are a few things that come to mind. Mostly, I would question why you feel the need to take a break from running (between training cycles, etc).

MTA: the weed was a joke

It seems strange to me to bring up yoga, since it's a completely different kind of activity - your mind is more focused on the yoga, while on a run your mind can roam free. But it would seem she could get the same "mental journey" (whatever that exactly means) while swimming or biking, I wonder what she feels is missing.

Dave

some call me Tim

Joann- Yeah, I'm just looking for ideas. Runners tend to be a compulsive lot, and almost everyone I know has been nursing an injury at some point and usually coming back too soon as well. They make nervous jokes about taking a few extra *days* off. And then I know a couple who take breaks, and they just happen to be really healthy, bulletproof runners who've made gains season after season. It makes sense to me to remove the stress of running for a period of weeks and allow the body to heal, even if there's no acute injury.

It would be good if it was athletic, but I guess it's not a deal breaker. Actually, your avatar reminds me that making musical chaos with other people gets in the neighborhood once you've been doing it for over half an hour.

Dave- I think once you've learned the forms, you don't really focus on the yoga. And maybe there I'm answering my own question... maybe it's just the meditative aspect of doing a repetitive physical activity for long enough that your mind can, you know, do other stuff.

Joann Y

Assignment for break: do some recording, check out Kim Gordon's new album, hike bike or whatever and then get back to running as soon as possible!

some call me Tim

haha.. yeah, no doubt. Good suggestions in there Smile