Any Cyclists? (Read 1403 times)

aleyoung86

Any other cyclists on here? Just wondering. I love using Running Ahead to track my bike stuff! I tried Strava, but it just wasn't for me. If anyone has any questions, training ideas or whatnot, please let me know. Also, if anyone in Ohio wants to go for a ride, I'm game. 

2012: Wish a Mile Ride: 300 miles in 3 days to benefit the kids of Make A Wish.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been curious about Strava (not that I would stop logging here, I'd log on both sites).  I wish they'd offer their premium package with a FR 310XT or 305.  Strava has some sort of relationship with the JDRF Ride to Cure program and quite a few of my bike buddies are using it.

There are a couple of cycling and multisport groups here on RA:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1k1k/

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Tri/

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BikeShop/

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jdais

I'm a cyclist/triathlete.  I like the layout of Runningahead better than Trainingpeaks

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Slo

Welcome to RA aleyoung.

Generally speaking there isn't a great deal of bike talk here but there is some.

As for me, I'm a daily commuter. I find my self on fat tired bikes more often than skinnies. I have two road bikes, a 26" MTB, a 29'er Single, A steel frame Cyclo Cross, a fat bike and a 26" urban multi purpose, used to be an mtb bike that's just fun to ride. My racing and training has shifted to more of the attrition type races that tend to have a signifigant DNF list. (Like 300 miles in 36hrs instead of 3 days).

It's been a good two years since my last time trial or even a DU. It's been even longer since I've done a TRI.

I'm sitting here day dreaming about my next build and it's shaping up to be a triple ring monster cross that will run 1.9" tires for running gravel roads when they are soft. I'd also like to have a front suspension 10 speed 29'er MTB but I think the Moster Cross is going to win.

I love to talk about bikes, riding, training etc.

So what type of riding do you do?  Races?

Welcome to RA aleyoung.

Generally speaking there isn't a great deal of bike talk here but there is some.

As for me, I'm a daily commuter. I find my self on fat tired bikes more often than skinnies. I have two road bikes, a 26" MTB, a 29'er Single, A steel frame Cyclo Cross, a fat bike and a 26" urban multi purpose, used to be an mtb bike that's just fun to ride. My racing and training has shifted to more of the attrition type races that tend to have a signifigant DNF list. (Like 300 miles in 36hrs instead of 3 days).

It's been a good two years since my last time trial or even a DU. It's been even longer since I've done a TRI.

I'm sitting here day dreaming about my next build and it's shaping up to be a triple ring monster cross that will run 1.9" tires for running gravel roads when they are soft. I'd also like to have a front suspension 10 speed 29'er MTB but I think the Moster Cross is going to win.

I love to talk about bikes, riding, training etc.

So what type of riding do you do?  Races?

Dude, you're going to scare him off Smile

Admittng that you have a bike or two sounds "normal."  Describing what you have and what you day dream about sounds wacky (maybe I should write obsessive compulsive rather than wacky).

But, aleyount86, I'm a biker (triathlete), and I'm from Texas.  Truth is that I try to learn from SloHand and people like him.  I'm more of a student than a teacher.  There are some good teachers here and you can learn a thing or two, but as SloHand mentioned, there are more runners than bikers here.

Cheers,
            Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

aleyoung86

Well, a little about me I guess. I'm a displaced mountain bike from Michigan. My wife got me a road bike for christmas (Sette Primo 1.0) so that I could start exercising again (gave running a try and kept getting hurt). I've been riding for about 8 years on the MTB. So my friend who has been doing WAM for the past several years finally convinced me to do it this year. Since xmas I bought a Fluid 2 so I could measure power and work on power and endurance. So, since then I have started training for this ride. It's been a cool experience so far. I'm about a week into it. I'm still getting bike fit etc worked out, but so far everything is going well.

I'm not really a racing type, more interested in long rides or just club rides. I'd like to get to a point where I'm riding 50+ every weekend at a good clip. 

I do find that I know almost nothing about road riding, mostly the gear aspect, but I'm learning a lot about training etc. I bought Friel's book as well as Chapple (Base Building for Cyclists) and Maffetone's "Big Book of Endurance." Gradually working my way through those, as well as the training plans I've set up for myself. Workouts consist of a TT  every month with leg speed drills, intervals twice a week, a long ride on the weekends and just base miles. I try to ride every day I don't work, so about 4 days a week. If you guys have questions or want to throw ideas around or w/e just let me know.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Whereabouts in MI?  I'm on the western side of the state, a bit north of Muskegon.

Honestly, I think the thing I find to be most useful with gearing on any bike is finding a comfortable cadence.  I don't personally feel all that comfortable for long at anything <80rpm...my knees start bitching.  Just find the gear combos that work for you on whatever terrain you're riding.  As long as you aren't cross-chaining you should be good to go.

And, hey, if you're going to do WAM then you HAVE to do ODRAM, too...that would be a piece of cake after riding 300 miles...seriously!

~ Sarah Kay

aleyoung86

Zoom, 

I saw you did the website for ODRAM and was actually thinking about doing it. I don't know about this year, but we'll see how things work out. I hail (intentional) from Ann Arbor, lived there since 2nd grade and went to U of M there before moving down to Ohio. As far as cadence, I definitely fall into a mid 90's cadence, but 100-105 if pretty comfortable. Really working on nice circular strokes, which is difficult for me right now since I'm still new. I also use 175mm cranks, but I typically start bouncing at around 135-140. Trying to get better though.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I typically start bouncing at around 135-140. Trying to get better though.

Ha, you're doing better than I am...105 is about as high as I can go before I'm flopping around like a fish out of water. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Ha, you're doing better than I am...105 is about as high as I can go before I'm flopping around like a fish out of water. Tongue

AleYoung86,

I agree.  What type of gear are you riding when you're doing anything higher than 105 (and less than 130).  Seems like you're either riding too low of a gear or you're built a heck of a lot different than I am.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

aleyoung86

Well for the spin ups I just use a super low gear, like L1 or L2. The point is to spin up and hold for a minute then run down. The next one is a set of consecutive spin ups that change gears. So far it seems to be working.

xhristopher

Hi. Another cyclist here. I run too.

Slo

As a MTB'r you shouldn't have any problem with gearing. I'm not sure what you mean by;

"I do find that I know almost nothing about road riding, mostly the gear aspect."

Unless your referring to the fact that your likely to ride in one specific gear much longer when on a road bike vs. hitting the trails and off road. It's not very often you get to sit and spin on the trails.

With decent MTB components you can generally jump down two cogs to get ready for that monster climb where on a road bike your only dropping a tooth or two at a time.

Club rides can be a blast. If enough people don't wimp out we have one tomorrow but we have snow in the forecast. That will leave the those with the skinny road tires high and dry. The baggers, cyclo crosses and 29'rs will still show up. (And of course, I got my Fat Bike bike now)

I also do the largest group ride in the world. RAGBRAI. This is a 6 day ride across the state of Iowa. Sometimes reffered to as "The largets Party on Two Wheels". It's not hard to do. I explain to people it's 500 miles done 12 miles at a time. It averages out to be about 12 miles between towns. Each town comes out in force to get thier share of the dollars spent on RAGBRAI. On any give day there are upwards of 15,000 riders.

For this mornings commute the Fat Bike got the call. Hoping the snow in the forecast sticks!

Hi. Another cyclist here. I run too.

Same here. Oh yeah, I swim a little too.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Whereabouts in MI?  I'm on the western side of the state, a bit north of Muskegon.

Looks like my daughter will be a Michiganite for a few years. She is looking really hard at Northern Michigan University. I think she will be signing a letter of intent pretty soon.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life