Pain in my lower Right leg (Read 679 times)

Plantagenet

Hi I wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I am gettign a pain in my lower right leg on the inside edge. If I touch the area I get a sharpish pain. It doesnt feel like the bone more like a trapped nerve but I honestly dont know. In my foot I have a sensation of weakness from time to time and if I had to narrow it down to a particular action it would be raising up onto my toes that sparks the biggest reaction from it. If I push my foot against a solid object so it moves towards my left leg I can feel the discomfort and when I stop pushing I also get a moment of pain. The pain has markedly declined since my run on Tuesday. If it helps someone said they notice I run almost constantly on my toes and I was wondering if I could have strained a muscle in thsi area... Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I am hoping I might be back in he swing within a week....
    lazyboy

Hi Honestly the best thing you could do is let someone assess you properly. However, based on your description it sounds like you have tendinitis in tibialis posterior. The main function of tibialis posterior is to control the arch of the foot as you are weight bearing (ie prevent it from dropping). It will also act to raise you up on your toes, and to turn your foot in. Will you be back in a week .... any inflammatory process will max out at 48 hours and then decrease over a period of 3 to 5 days. This is assuming you are not doing anything to further aggravate the injury. I am unclear if this is the first such episode or not. If it is ... you should be looking at your training schedule: have you upped your mileage or pace recently. If it is not the first episode you should be looking at your biomechanics - you need to get some one to help you. Constant re-injury causing microtrauma may lead to more serious problems down the road. Lastly. Your shoes. New or old? Have you run in the same model for a while? Changing shoes or old shoes can both cause this type of injury. Based purely on what you wrote about the injury I think you need to be in shoes that control pronation and have good forefoot cushioning. Then next thing you should look at is how "twisty" is the shoe through the arch. If you twist the shoe fairy easily then it is not offering the support you need if you are landing on your toes. This is a good way to test you older shoes against new shoes in the store. You will be amazed how a shoe can breakdown without any cosmetic evidence of being past its prime. In terms of stretching ... stretch you calf with your knee straight and with your knee bent. Ideally your foot would be up on a wedge (up hill slant) and most importantly you don't want to allow your arch to drop. Try rolling a small face cloth (wet it helps) and place this under the arch. Your knee-cap should line up over your second toe (toe next to big toe). Test it out - stretch with and without the towel. You should notice the difference. Hope that helps.
      Plantagenet

Thanks for the response. I talked to my Mum at the weekend and she thinks I have stretched the tendon.(my mum was a nurse) I started feelign the pain a coupl eof weeks ago which is why I updated my shoes. Unfotunatly as I was also increasing pace and distance at the same time and never realyl gave the slight injury time to heal I seem to have made matters worse. It has been just over a week since my last run and I am still feeling weakness in my right foot. Depending on the severity of what I have done I could unfortunatly be off for for several weeks Sad

Now that was a bath...

Happy Healing!!!! I hate to hear of others benched too. Pain in the lower right leg is my specialty and it sucks! Hopefully you will be back running again before we can say... 'Who was that really fast person running pain free?' Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          Plantagenet

Thanks Kooky. Tried a very light run on it again the other day after 3 weeks off. Unfortuantly still not ready. Sad