What is your morning run routine? (Read 1412 times)

Hi, I'm trying to make the switch from afternoon/evening run to morning run because I like how it separates the run from the rest of the day. However, I am getting my ass kicked hard as I am struggling to get even 3/4 of the distance I normally cover (this could be from one of many other factors, however). I'd just like to know what you morning runners do to get your energy up. Right now, I'm eating a peanut butter sandwich about 45 min before I go on my run. Thanks for any help.
      No Magic here... I just get up and run. I will have a glass of water before I leave, but that is about it. I roll out of bed, throw on my gear and i'm running before my mind knows that I'm awake.
      derek

I run at 5 or 5:30am depending on the distance. My routine consists of just getting out bed, dressiing, and being out the door about 10 mins after I wake up. I don't eat or drink anything before heading out, but I do carry water with me. I seem to be the kind of person that doesn't need to eat before a run. Even for my marathon I just did on Sunday, the last food I ate was the night before, but I did take 3 Gu gels during the marathon. I can't imaging eating and then waiting 45 mins before heading out. That would mean having to get up "way" too early :-)

Derek

I get up at 4:45 and I am dressed, driven to the YMCA track, and running by 5:15. No food or drink for me either. My biggest words of advice...get out of bed, and get out of the house...do not turn the television on, do not stretch or anything like that in the house...get out of the house. I started running in the morning about 3 weeks ago and love it. I get to work earlier...I used to forget stuff I had to do in the morning...Now I remember it because I am not in rush. Be ready though...I used to stay up to at least 11:30 - Midnight watching TV...by 8:30 my body begins to shut down and pretty much HAVE to be in bed by 10:30 or 11:00. As far energy goes...are you getting enough sleep? and my mp3 player thingy gets me going once I get running...make sure you got some good tunes to help get you going
          2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

If I am doing a short run of 4 or 5 miles, then I might skip eating before my run. Generally, though, I have to eat before doing anything else in the morning. My morning routine every morning before doing anything else: Wake up at 5:15, empty the bowels, weigh myself, feed the cat, eat breakfast. If I am working out, I will then get dressed and head out the door, or else drive whereever it is that I will be running and then doing so. The only exception to my morning routine will be if I am running early and have to drive somewhere, such as running at 6:00 and needing to drive 30 or more minutes to get there. Then I'll get up at 4:45 instead of at 5:15.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

As much as I don't like early morning running...When I have to do it, my alarm is set for 5 or 5:15. I blink around to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth, washing my face is the first thing I do since that seems to help wake me up! I'll usually have half a banana and little bit of water. Sometimes I'll have half a cereal bar too. My stomach is usually growling full force when I wake up. It takes me a good 15 minutes for my body to accept that fact that I'm making it run that early in the day. So my early morning workouts are ones that I plan for as being easy. I also don't run outside that early during the week since I can't be sure that my children will all get up when they are supposed to (darn teenagers!). So the treadmill is where I end up when my day is too hectic for an evening run. One thing that I have noticed with running in the morning is that when I get home from work after 5:00 I'm ready to run again since it has been so long since I ran in the morning.

Michelle

Get up, eat a bananna, drink a cup of coffee and then run. I don't have to be @ work till noon so I run about eight. I like going to work late!

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

Get up, eat a bananna, drink a cup of coffee and then run. I don't have to be @ work till noon so I run about eight. I like going to work late!
                  I HATE YOU I used to have the lax noon to 8 schedule and then I had the brilliant idea of going into business for myself Confused As far as this post goes, I agree with everyone else that says if you are not a morning person, you just need to get out of the house as fast as possible and start running. If the race you are training for is in the morning, you should definitely try to dedicate at least half of your training runs to the morning if possible. It just helps your bodies natural circadian rhythms and you will perform much better on race day.
                    Yeah, noon to ten Monday thru Thursday. Mighty SWEET!

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

Burninated Peasant

The biggest adjustment for me was to go extra slow the first couple of miles (slower than my normal warmup). The earlier I leave the house, the heavier my legs feel at first. Just go slow while your body wakes up. After a couple miles, you should be feeling normal.
                      Crazy Train

I run at 5 or 5:30am depending on the distance. My routine consists of just getting out bed, dressiing, and being out the door about 10 mins after I wake up. I don't eat or drink anything before heading out, but I do carry water with me. ... I can't imaging eating and then waiting 45 mins before heading out. That would mean having to get up "way" too early :-)
                        I agree with everything Derek said. I am a morning runner and also run between 5:00-5:30 during the week. I usually do have a glass of water before I head out, but other than that I just get up, get ready and go. And also - I second Derek's comment about eating anything before my week day runs. That would mean getting up way to early!! Smile Saturdays are usually the day I do my long run and I still go in the morning, but I don't head out quite as early and do take time to eat a little bit before these runs.

Runnin' from the law.

do not turn the television on
                          That's my biggest mistake - turning on the TV. Wastes time for me.
                          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                            Up until a couple of weeks ago it was this: Set coffee maker the night before. Up at 4:45. One cup of coffee while checking emails and forums. Out the door at 5:15 or 5:30. Usually back by 6:30, which is when the kids get up. Start "normal" morning routine. As of last weeks it is this: Up at 4:45. Shovelglove for 14 minutes Big grin Maybe check emails with coffee after that, but I am trying to wean myself of computer before runs, since it often makes me a few minutes late, and compresses the rest of the morning. Dead I started doing AM runs during the heat of the summer when it was too hot to even run in the evenings,much less at lunchtime. It only took me a week before it became routine. I do find myself going to bed alot earlier than before. I try to be concientous about drinking water between dinner and bed time. But AM I need a little coffee.
                              The "Shovelglove" is brilliant in it's simplicity. Surprised

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

No Magic here... I just get up and run. I will have a glass of water before I leave, but that is about it. I roll out of bed, throw on my gear and i'm running before my mind knows that I'm awake.
                                Me too, the only "preparation" I do is to keep an eye on how much water I drink the day BEFORE and what I eat too...I watch it anyway, but especially the day before a long run...
                                "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.