Discouraged (Read 334 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

From a quick glance at your log and the comments you've made here you're still approaching this wrong.  Unless you have a running history that is not logged here, you shouldn't have a 20 day running streak already, you shouldn't have time based race goals, you shouldn't have pace based long run goals, and I'm guessing you will run yourself into an injury within a month if not less.  Everybody who has responded here has given sound advice, but your last post shows that you have yet to take any of that advice seriously and apply it to your running.  Good luck.

We all have our own opinions and views on what is safe for our running but here's how I look at it:

Typically I find that speed drops off with running distance (nothing surprising here) with a regression that is typically best fit with a natural log function up to the point where you are properly trained. From your log data below you can see that you are under-performing at 10 miles:

Why can't you run 10 miles yet? Simply because you haven't run enough longer than 5 miles. How far can you run at a reasonable effort (compared to your shorter distance running)? I usually do a probability plot of my running distance and find at what distance a natural log fit crosses the 100% probability level. For you this is ~7.4 at the moment:

If you fill in the gap between 5 and 10 miles with some more runs in the seven mile range (and assuming no fitness improvement) you should be able to come back to that 10 mile before too long and run it in the ballpark of 1:21-1:22.

You should probably think of those sub-optimal 10 mile efforts more like 7-8 mile workouts with a cool-down at the end rather than strictly as 10 mile workouts.

In general, I agree with everyone else regarding rest but looking at your numbers, when you take a day to run a single mile at 8:05 you can think of that as a rest day. Best of luck with your training.

Looking at my own log says that I should only really be capable of racing out to about 20 miles which I think is part of why my marathon time falls off of the trend from my shorter races (about 4 minutes slower than the trend predicts):

Take a rest day, Man!  It will do your body good.  

You are doing awesome.  Don't get discouraged.  Try to avoid doing too much too soon, ok?  Running is new to you and it takes even a younger body time to get acclimated to the particular stresses of training.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

BeeRunB

Okay so last Saturday I ran those 10 miles and had to walk and run toward the end. I ran 10 miles again today and I didn't walk once. I kept a jog the whole 10 miles and cut off about 10 minutes from my time last week. The last two miles I had a 7:30 pace so it leads me to believe if I keep running I should be able to keep that pace for all 10 miles. Thanks for all the encouragement. Before the run I made it up in my mind, no matter what I'm not going to stop running.

You've gone from 10:30 overall pace to using a 7:30 pace at the end of your 10 mile long run (long for a beginner). And you've been running a little over a month. 1 month.  Seems like you're thinking the advice given here to be unsound---advice given generously to you  by some hearty, knowledgable veterans, who have been running many, many years---a decade or more in some cases. People here aren't really encouraging you to continue training as you are, but rather attempting to intervene from continuing your approach. There are years of experience here, not only in the real world of running, but of seeing people come and go from forums like this who end up injured or quitting because they won't slow down and take their time to build their bodies in a rational way. Good luck. I truly hope you stay healthy doing what you're doing.

You've gone from 10:30 overall pace to using a 7:30 pace at the end of your 10 mile long run (long for a beginner). And you've been running a little over a month. 1 month.  Seems like you're thinking the advice given here to be unsound---advice given generously to you  by some hearty, knowledgable veterans, who have been running many, many years---a decade or more in some cases. People here aren't really encouraging you to continue training as you are, but rather attempting to intervene from continuing your approach. There are years of experience here, not only in the real world of running, but of seeing people come and go from forums like this who end up injured or quitting because they won't slow down and take their time to build their bodies in a rational way. Good luck. I truly hope you stay healthy doing what you're doing.

Great advice from all - esp.  this

I noticed on your signature you have you completed a 5K in 25 minutes or possibly less. If you put that in a running calculator, your pace racing a 10K would be 8:38/mi.  Plug your best 5K time into this calculator https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/ and you get your easy training pace which is 10:11 - 10:48.

Okay so last Saturday I ran those 10 miles and had to walk and run toward the end. I ran 10 miles again today and I didn't walk once. I kept a jog the whole 10 miles and cut off about 10 minutes from my time last week. The last two miles I had a 7:30 pace so it leads me to believe if I keep running I should be able to keep that pace for all 10 miles. Thanks for all the encouragement. Before the run I made it up in my mind, no matter what I'm not going to stop running.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

mikeymike

Calculators are useless for someone this new to running. Just run. Rest once in a while. You'll be fine.

Runners run

jfa

I started running about a month ago

Dude, you have stumbled upon the absolute best running advice for a beginner on the whole wide interwebz.

Take heed. Go slow in your build up and you can enjoy running for a long long time.

Ignore this advice and you will be a young has-been before you even get going.

Good luck!

robertaajr

I am taking the advice I got here to heart. I'm not doing my easy runs as hard as I was before. I'm doing a lot more of an easy pace on my easy runs. I'm not so worried about my times as I am about just finishing and keeping a steady pace whatever that may be. I don't like to take a day off right now and that's because I feel really good and I only do a mile or two on certain days which can be considered my day off. Once again thanks for the advice it is helping. I have slowed down a lot. I'll save my race pace for actual races.