2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

madisonrunner

SubDood - Pretty neat to have another Badger on the board.  I graduated in 2004 and was happy to be able to stay in Madison after college.

I had another good week.  81 miles capped off with a 17 mile long run this morning.  The next 3 weeks look to be the toughest - 86, 89, and 90 miles.

Question for folks - can you recommend a singlet to race in?  I want something very lightweight that is fairly form-fitting.

kramrunner

My last 2 weeks.

Indy 2018, w5/18
      M      01 05 44       7.64   w/ 6x hills sprints
      T       01 25 33       11.0   tm w/ 3wu + 3x2@6:00 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: 120s static
      W      01 14 34       9.19
      Th     00 58 18       6.91
      F       00 25 45       3.08
      S       01 53 39      15.0    tm w/ 3wu + 10@6:59/1@-->6:13 + 1cd, 0.5/1%
      S        01 06 13       7.85
                                     ====

Indy 2018, w6/18
      M     01 18 07      9.02    w/ 6x hills sprints
      T       -- -- --        11.0      w/ tm 3wu + 2x5k@6:00 + 2cd, 0.5%; rec: 180s static, HR>170@2.75, 2.0
      W      -- -- --         URD    sore
      Th     00 25 56     3.1      tm felt ok-ish
      F       -- -- --          URD   sore/tired from work/conf
      S       -- -- --          URD   sleep catch up/recovery
      S       01 11 21      8.41  
                                  ====

Rubbish running week, but all in all I call it a draw given Mr. Murphy's intervention, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Cycling into work on Tuesday and some asshat decides the road is car free therefore he can make a left turn right across me. Luckily, I wasn't going too fast and was able to hard swerve around him, but I just couldn't avoid the SUV behind (who fortunately saw what was occurring and slowed right down) and grazed it and slammed my left shoulder straight through the wing mirror. However, I stayed up and it appears my shoulder while looking all goth-like right now has survived a hard impact.. phew. I must have bounced in the seat too as my tailbone is still a little sore. The left hood got dinged and bent in a few degrees by the impact too... grrrr Sad Anyway, contact with a car and ** fingers crossed ** no lasting damage. Next time Mr. Murphy!

Maddisonrunner: Welcome aboard. It's great to have someone fast posting here. Gives us all something to aspire to!

Jmac: Another solid week regardless. Nothing too wrong with it and the down mileage overall will prob help more than hinder. Hope you didn't have any money on the Tiger bandwagon today!

Swim: Good to see you back. Putting together some stellar work as usual.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Marky_Mark_17

Question for folks - can you recommend a singlet to race in?  I want something very lightweight that is fairly form-fitting.

The most lightweight singlet I've found is the 2XU GHST range.  I have a couple and they are my go-to for any summer race - super-light and very breathable.  They're an Australia/NZ based company so not sure how deep their product range is via their US shopfront.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

madisonrunner: Welcome! Like others have said it is great to have someone really fast like you here. A guy posted here last year who ran a 2:35 in December, but after that he dropped this thread like a bad habit; I hope you'll stick around!

JMac: Nice week and I hope the golf outing went well. Looks like Mother Nature is serving up a nice stretch loaded with rain, heat, and 70+ dew points for us this week.

Kram: Great T sessions; looks like you are getting back into your previous form pretty well. Sorry to hear about the accident though; sounds like it was bad but could have been much worse! Hope the shoulder and tailbone are getting better.

Marky: Thanks for posting the strength routine tips. Do you find the upper body work helps your running? I go back and forth with starting to do push-ups and pull-ups and some rowing with weights, and eventually stopping it, partly because I'm too lazy to do it on top of the injury prevention stuff I always do (squats, deadlift, hip ab/adductor band exs), and partly because I start to doubt its benefit for me wrt distance running.

My last week was pretty light. We traveled back from Michigan, and then went to New Hampshire for some time in the White Mountains. I got a couple of runs in there but skipped a long run (or any run) Sunday as we had a full day planned and I didn;t want to be worn out for it. It sure was nice to sleep in like normal people . We got in a lot of great hiking which counts as a bit extra training. This week I'll try to get back on schedule.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Aug 06, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 12, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
          Wed 10.0 8:44 Morning Run 521 strava
          Thu 8.2 8:29 Morning Run 458 strava
          Fri 10.9 7:41 Morning Run in NH 522 strava
          Sat 10.8 7:22 Morning Run w/ 5 x 1 min (in NH) 333 strava
            39.9 8:03   1834  

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

JT- it's hard for me to tell personally if upper body helps running as I was doing weights before I started running.  Core and lower back definitely helps with running form, particularly under fatigue.  Mid/upper back - from what I've read there's a decent amount of evidence to suggest that this will help with posture, which should also flow to running efficiency (and potentially breathing).  And the flipside of working your back is that you should also work your chest as the other half of that agonist/antagonist pairing (push-ups are a good option here as they engage your core as well).

Hope you had fun with the hiking, been following some of Dave B's hikes on Strava which looked incredible.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Madisonrunner - Welcome aboard, you are in good company as Swim is shooting for a 2:35 at CIM. 👍

JMac - I hope you enjoyed the golf trip, I wrongly assumed that anyone living in Manhattan wouldn’t have the time or inclination to play golf!  The Ryder Cup is one of my favourite sporting events and love that you get to see their real personalities out on the course, and the American spectators are.....very enthusiastic!

SubDood - Great week and that looks like a good routine you’ve got going with the strength training straight after runs which I’ve never tried. I agree that a 20min strength training session is better than an extra 2 recovery miles, but it’s always good to experiment and figure out what works best for you.

Marky - Good luck with the 10k at the weekend and thanks for posting your routine and explaining the key principles. I think with you coming from that background has helped you progress quickly and avoid injury. I liked the “Biceps don’t help you run fast” tip!

Kram - Wow, sounds like you had a lucky escape! I still think motorbikes are safer than push bikes....you can just accelerate away from trouble. 😀  Loving those TM workouts!

JT - Nice cutback week and I’m sure the hiking counts as cross training!

My week...

Mon - 7 @ 9:07

Tue - 7 @ 7:45 (TM w/3 @ 6:26)

Thur - 19 @ 7:33

Sat - 9 @ 7:15 (TM w6x1200 @ 6:02 - 400 easy recovery)

Sun - 8 @ 9:23 (trail)

Total - 50

I had to bail the Tue workout as I had zero energy and it felt like a rough week overall for no apparent reason. Every workout was tougher than normal..

Anyone see the European Championships? The women’s 5000m final was entertaining....the favourite Sifan Hassan made a big break with 2 laps to go and Lonah Salpeter went with her obviously thinking it was the final lap...Salpeter thinks she’s finished with a silver medal and looks really pleased...she then looks to her left to see the race is still going....runs straight to lane 1 and cuts up the Brit who was in 2nd place!  Anyway, she finished 4th and was disqualified. Oops!!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Madison - Welcome!  As JT said it would be great to see you stick around.

Kram:  Sorry to hear about the shoulder.  Hope it doesn't impact running going forward.  Still sounds like great fitness as evident by your T sessions!

Mark:  Thanks for the info on strength work.  That's the one thing I (and most runners) lack the most.  Been trying to include some body/core work at least 2 imes per week, but could always use some more.

JMAC:  Enojy your golf trip!  just be careful with the 3Q days.  Fall sure sounds nice right now doesn't it Wink

JT: Sounds like a nice trip and some excellent cross training which couldn't hurt at all.  I second the sleeping in part though!

Mikkey: Solid week - just mark it up as one of those weeks.  Didn't get a chance to see the Euro champs as I was glued to the PGA golf champ all weekend Smile

Had another solid week overall but likely overdid it a bit as I tweaked my lower right hamstring at some point early in the week.  Thought it might be a cramp during my hill workout on Wed, as nothing overly painful occured (no sharpness etc ..) but on the 3 or 4 rep it started to become inflammed so I shut down the last part of the workout.  It was much better Thurs through Sat and then flarred up again late in another quality run on Sunday (and especially afterwards).  Thinking the 5:42 or so mile at the end was a bad idea!  Having said that so far EZ running doesn't seem to bother it much at all so I'll nix any more quality, speed, or even strides the next few days.  Already took a day off yesterday and rode the bike which will automatically make this week a cut back week for me.  Should do me good as I've been going a bit hard considering the heat for the last 4-5 weeks.  Probably also a sign that I need to ease off a bit on the EZ days as I add more quality.  Live and learn!

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Aug 06, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 12, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                Mon 10.2 7:11 A few EZ + progression to M pace (heat graded) strava
                Mon 4.1 7:37 Trying out some new shoes strava
                Tue 11.3 7:43 83 degrees and 3 deer strava
                Wed 2.0 8:48 EZ Warm up strava
                Wed 3.7 7:36 Semi-aborted workout (got in just 5 X 400 uphills) + some EZ running strava
                Wed 4.4 8:05 Cool down + a few gentle uphill strides strava
                Thu 10.2 7:50 Nice & EZ and when did 77 feel cool? strava
                Fri 12.1 6:55 Should have run mainland: 4E + 4M + 1.1 uptempo + 3E strava
                Sat 5.3 7:33 Morning Run strava
                Sun 3.0 8:42 EZ Group run Part 1 strava
                Sun 6.1 6:04 3 X 2 uptempo strava
                Sun 5.3 7:24 EZ group run Part 2 + 1 @5:42 strava
                  77.7 7:28    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - Luckily I was not caught up in it. Also, it does look like nice weather is coming, except I'm heading down to Florida starting on Friday, where it looks like it'll be 83 degrees by 9 am with dew points at 77. I have no idea how Weather does it. I'm not looking forward to my workout Sunday morning. Finally, hopefully you heal up okay. Did you ever find the biker, or are you just stuck with the cost?

JT - You've been running so many miles, a down week will be nice. Also, nice 4x2 this morning. Weather was a bit cooler but still tough conditions.

Mikkey - Nice week, and congrats on another London. Now you just have to get Piwi to sign up.

Weather - I think you were due for a cutback week anyway, your mileage has been absolutely insane.

Me - Heading to Florida Friday, so I'll get to experience the joys of summer Q days down there. I'm honestly starting to lose a bit of motivation. I really am not enjoying any of my Q days right now, which didn't happen during my last cycle. My last 3 weeks have been garbage and although I think a lot of it has to do with the weather, it's certainly not all of it. I felt horrible once again after my M pace work on Monday. I came home and felt dizzy and couldn't eat any dinner. Some of it might be overtraining, but I feel like I've taken enough down weeks that that shouldn't be happening. I'm going to try to keep plowing through but my next Q day is tomorrow where the high is 91 with humidity again. I'm bailing on workouts too much right now and that mental trap of "it's okay to bail on the last rep" needs to stop sometime soon. I think I just need to slow down even more than I have so that I can complete the workouts.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

BigGuySkinny

Interesting stuff on the strength training.  I really need to start to incorporate that.  I guess I probably should have taken the hint that I need to start lifting weights when my daughter nicknamed me Big Guy Skinny!

Impressive weeks for everyone.  Not so much for me.  All of my faster workouts lately have been real confidence busters.  It's definitely impacted my motivation lately.  Then I skipped my Sunday long run.  I know that is not the recipe to go sub 3.  I either need to pick it up or put the sub 3 attempt on hold.  Feeling kind of burned out this early in the cycle is not a good thing.

My last week:

Day Miles Pace
                    Tue 9.5 7:11
                    Wed 14.1 7:40
                    Thu 7.1 8:12
                    Fri 12 7:39
                    Sat 7.1 8:29
                      49.8 7:47
                    SubDood

A skunk ran across the road in front of me this morning during my 15-miler. I've never before seen a live skunk while on a run. It slowed me down quickly ... which seems to be a theme in some of the recent posts -- slowing down on the easy days to avoid burning out or over-training. I know that my 10:30 avg pace on some of my jog/recovery days is unimpressive (given the stated goal on this thread), but I think it is the thing that has enabled me to ramp up to 80 mpw this cycle without feeling burned out, at least not yet. My schedule has a Tempo run (12 mi w/ 7 @ HMP), a Long Run (24 mi), and an Intervals workout (9 mi w/ 5x600m) all in the next 6 days, with a single day of easy jog recovery miles (8-10 mi) separating them. Those easy days will have to be extremely easy in order to get through them and still run the "hard" days as intended. I truly hope that this is the toughest stretch of this Pfitz cycle.

Marky: I think the upper body strength work probably is beneficial, especially for shorter distances but even for the marathon. I just need to stick with it for a full cycle and see what happens!

Mikkey: Your week was loaded with quality so I would not worry about feeling worn out; you've had some big weeks so maybe some easy mileage is the way to go till you feel recharged.

BTW, quite a finish for that 5000m final!  It reminded me of Jenny SImpson stopping a lap too early in a indoor 2-mile race a few years ago. She ended up 2nd but was understandably very embarrassed.

Weatherboy: Yet another huge week with lots of quality. Good idea to ease off and let the hamstring heal; you have had a lot of big weeks piling up so you deserve an easy week.

JMac: I was amazed you pulled off that gigantic Daniel's workout in the conditions Monday night. The fact you got through that is a great sign; in cool weather you would have been flying. I had one gloriously cool (cold actually) morning when we were in the mountains, and I felt terrific. It really will pay off when it cools off, just hang in there. In Florida maybe look for a gym with AC and do the hard sessions there on the TM.

BGS: Last week must have been the one for skipping long runs, seems several of us did it. Not a big deal; my first couple of marathon cycles I only ran long every other week and it worked out fine. Looks like you are bouncing back this week with a nice LR yesterday.

Subdood: Glad you did not get sprayed! Our dog has gotten sprayed by a skunk 3 times, and I'm convinced it is the worst smell on earth. Good luck getting through the monster week and good idea to keep those recovery days super easy.

2:52:16 (2018)

BigGuySkinny - are you related in any way to FatboySlim?

marky_mark, mikkey, and also mikeymike? - I'm too confused to lurk...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

FatBoy Slim lives in Brighton along the seafront and does a bit of running!  He’s run the Brighton marathon and the half a few times.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

slingrunner

Subdood- With the possible exception of the marathon pace run with 5 weeks left, I think we are at the toughest part of the schedule, or more accurately I think this LT run we both have coming up Friday is brutal (also 12 w/7 at MP for me).  The weather is not cooperating either, and sadly my treadmill broke (I think my last vo max workout did it in).  Are you planning to do any of the tune-up races coming up?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

BigGuySkinny

BigGuySkinny - are you related in any way to FatboySlim?

Ha, I never noticed the similarity.  Clearly my child is gifted!